divided between two offers from grad schools

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

Rodya

divided between two offers from grad schools

Post by Rodya » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:23 pm

Folks, I am divided between choosing the Ph.D.(Medical Physics) at University of Toledo, Ohio and Ph.D.(Physics) at Boston College. If I would be assured of a job in industry after the Ph.D.(am a foreign national) , I would definitely go to BC but I really do not have any idea how the market will be after 5-6 years. I have known people graduating from that place going to industry or post docs to top 5-10 places. The last thing I want to have in life is a couple of post-docs staring at an uncertain future. I do know how the reality is exactly like but things available on internet do scare me.

And, a Ph.D.(Medical Physics) does definitely look promising in terms of job after the degree as I understand from ,again, internet. I am deeply divided.

Folks, please help me in taking a decision. And, I have to decide as soon as possible.

WhoaNonstop

Re: divided between two offers from grad schools

Post by WhoaNonstop » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:37 am

Rodya wrote:Folks, I am divided between choosing the Ph.D.(Medical Physics) at University of Toledo, Ohio and Ph.D.(Physics) at Boston College. If I would be assured of a job in industry after the Ph.D.(am a foreign national) , I would definitely go to BC but I really do not have any idea how the market will be after 5-6 years. I have known people graduating from that place going to industry or post docs to top 5-10 places. The last thing I want to have in life is a couple of post-docs staring at an uncertain future. I do know how the reality is exactly like but things available on internet do scare me.

And, a Ph.D.(Medical Physics) does definitely look promising in terms of job after the degree as I understand from ,again, internet. I am deeply divided.

Folks, please help me in taking a decision. And, I have to decide as soon as possible.
Having to choose between two schools is much easier than five. Do some research about both of these places, even beyond the school itself. Make a list of all the pros and cons of each place and compare. Usually one will stand out above the rest and the choice should be easy.

-Riley