2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

  • This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

matto07
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:03 am

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by matto07 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:02 pm

Anyone else excited/nervous about the NSF results coming out soon?? Good luck fellow physicists!

vesperlynd
Posts: 194
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:28 am

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by vesperlynd » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:30 pm

matto07 wrote:Anyone else excited/nervous about the NSF results coming out soon?? Good luck fellow physicists!
Someone (in econ) on gradcafe is claiming to have already received notification?!
Just got an NSF notification by e-mail! Can't believe it!
I wonder how credible that is - if it's true, then either they haven't sent physics/astro emails and/or I didn't get the fellowship.

badphysicist
Posts: 84
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by badphysicist » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:40 pm

vesperlynd wrote:
matto07 wrote:Anyone else excited/nervous about the NSF results coming out soon?? Good luck fellow physicists!
Someone (in econ) on gradcafe is claiming to have already received notification?!
Just got an NSF notification by e-mail! Can't believe it!
I wonder how credible that is - if it's true, then either they haven't sent physics/astro emails and/or I didn't get the fellowship.

I doubt he got notification, probably just trolling that thread.

User avatar
grae313
Posts: 2297
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 8:46 pm

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by grae313 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:23 pm

The due dates for different sub-fields are different, there's no reason why the announcement dates wouldn't be as well.

Edit: FWIW, last year I was notified April 6th.

User avatar
HappyQuark
Posts: 762
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:08 am

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by HappyQuark » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:33 pm

HappyQuark wrote:
bck2school wrote:
Actually that is not true. JHU has mastered the art of evasion - when you call the department someone other than the grad contact picks it up and transfers you to someone junior who will only say "I don't know" to your every question. After 10 min of this and wishing that you were in a better place like say the dentists office having a root canal you give up and decide to take up farming instead...
Columbia just doesn't pick up the phone. I've called a few times and it just rings and rings.
So I finally got through to Columbia and the admissions person told me that my app was still under review but that they had sent all of the offers out for the plasma physics program. I probed a bit more and she confirmed that the applied physics program at Columbia sends offers based on which field you identified as an interest. I find this very strange since I am aware of very few other schools that do this, with the exception of MIT and CalTech. My memory isn't stellar but if I recall correctly, I identified their Plasma and Solid State research as being in my interests in my SOP so they must have taken the "Which specialization do you intend to puruse" question (in which they only let you select one choice) VERY seriously.

hamadahoda007
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by hamadahoda007 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:14 pm

Boston University acceptance today.. just posting in case this might help anyone who was waiting to hear from them

matto07
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:03 am

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by matto07 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:49 pm

badphysicist wrote:
vesperlynd wrote:
Just got an NSF notification by e-mail! Can't believe it!
I wonder how credible that is - if it's true, then either they haven't sent physics/astro emails and/or I didn't get the fellowship.
I doubt he got notification, probably just trolling that thread.
I concur. NSF website states that decisions will be made in April... governmental agencies are rarely early when it comes to these things. Although, as grae said, they might announce the results for different sciences at different times.

Ateowa
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:03 pm

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by Ateowa » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:33 pm

hamadahoda007 wrote:Boston University acceptance today.. just posting in case this might help anyone who was waiting to hear from them
Did you get an email from them, or did it come via the postal service?

hamadahoda007
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by hamadahoda007 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:45 am

Ateowa wrote:
hamadahoda007 wrote:Boston University acceptance today.. just posting in case this might help anyone who was waiting to hear from them
Did you get an email from them, or did it come via the postal service?
Email

Ateowa
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:03 pm

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by Ateowa » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:26 pm

Thanks. Congratulations!

blacksl
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:51 am

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by blacksl » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:15 pm

Visit Physics department of Iowa state University last weekend.
Its time to get a decision IASTATE or UNL!!! :roll:
it seems both has lots of funding and doing good research in Condensed Matter Physics field.
Only difference I saw was about qualifying exam and Buildings.
UNL has MRSEC (http://www.mrsec.org/centers) center with very new huge building while IASTATE has Ames lab with old building.....

If some one gets more option then he will get more confuse!!!!!
Now this happens to me :shock:

matto07
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:03 am

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by matto07 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:44 am

After a long night of refreshing the NSF GRFP awardee list......
VICTORY! :D

User avatar
grae313
Posts: 2297
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 8:46 pm

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by grae313 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:04 am

WOOOOO!!! Congratulations Matt, and congratulations to all the other NSF winners out there!

vesperlynd
Posts: 194
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:28 am

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by vesperlynd » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:42 pm

matto07 wrote:After a long night of refreshing the NSF GRFP awardee list......
VICTORY! :D
Congrats, Matt! Also, congrats to everyone who's posted about acceptances lately!

matto07
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:03 am

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by matto07 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:21 am

vesperlynd wrote:
matto07 wrote:After a long night of refreshing the NSF GRFP awardee list......
VICTORY! :D
Congrats, Matt! Also, congrats to everyone who's posted about acceptances lately!
Thanks, and congrats to you too!

User avatar
LoronDotCom
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:07 pm

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by LoronDotCom » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:55 am

Oh.my.god. Just got accepted to Hawaii for astronomy! :D :o :)

astrok
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:36 am

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by astrok » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:47 am

LoronDotCom wrote:Oh.my.god. Just got accepted to Hawaii for astronomy! :D :o :)
Congratulations!!!

Astro-K
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:37 pm

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by Astro-K » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:20 am

LoronDotCom wrote:Oh.my.god. Just got accepted to Hawaii for astronomy! :D :o :)
Congrats! I went on the visit (and I'll be attending in the fall), so PM me if you have any questions.

blacksl
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:51 am

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by blacksl » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:21 am

Finally.......I accepted Iowa State :D

User avatar
sphy
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:23 am

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by sphy » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:34 am

blacksl wrote:Finally.......I accepted Iowa State :D
I can feel it. :D

nita
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:01 am

Will anyone decline Chicago Astro?

Post by nita » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:18 am

Having been rejected from nearly all my schools except Chicago(Astronomy&Astrophysics Department, wait listed now). So it is my last hope. I really wanna go there, and i'm really anxious these days. Have anyone who have been accepted by her decided to go elsewhere? Hope someone can decline it sooner...it's nearly Apr 15...thanks...

1100110
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:05 am

Re: Will anyone decline Chicago Astro?

Post by 1100110 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:17 am

I wouldn't expect to hear before Friday, maybe even the end of the weekend. You may want to ask for a couple extra days from your current offers until you have to decide. I have a gut feeling we will be a full class based on who visited, but it sounded like everyone had several options, so you never know!

nita
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:01 am

Re: Will anyone decline Chicago Astro?

Post by nita » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:20 am

1100110 wrote:I wouldn't expect to hear before Friday, maybe even the end of the weekend. You may want to ask for a couple extra days from your current offers until you have to decide. I have a gut feeling we will be a full class based on who visited, but it sounded like everyone had several options, so you never know!
i think that's the dilema, everyone may want to wait and see until the last minute...so it's really hard for us to hear early...but i do have to meet a decision on Friday...and just let Chicago go if i got no news on that day...

so we are on the same boat?

User avatar
sphy
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:23 am

Re: Will anyone decline Chicago Astro?

Post by sphy » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:28 am

nita wrote:
so we are on the same boat?
Yeah, Image

bck2school
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:20 pm

Re: Will anyone decline Chicago Astro?

Post by bck2school » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:15 am

nita wrote:Having been rejected from nearly all my schools except Chicago(Astronomy&Astrophysics Department, wait listed now). So it is my last hope. I really wanna go there, and i'm really anxious these days. Have anyone who have been accepted by her decided to go elsewhere? Hope someone can decline it sooner...it's nearly Apr 15...thanks...
I know how you feel, sitting around waiting for some form of communication from UWashington and Hopkins. Stupid boat...

User avatar
quizivex
Posts: 1035
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:13 am

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by quizivex » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:16 am

Well, the admissions season is wrapping up, so those of you graduating seniors who haven't posted your profile yet, please consider doing it before you forget about the forum. Everyone's decisions should be complete by now, so there's no more fear of getting identified on here and rejected based on a controversial X-rated post. :D For everyone who posted, be sure to update any remaining decisions. On behalf of future classes, thanks a lot!

tychobrahe_1
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:28 pm

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by tychobrahe_1 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:06 pm

Got accepted into Lehigh University, looks like I am going to graduate school in the fall.

User avatar
sphy
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:23 am

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by sphy » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:31 am

tychobrahe_1 wrote:Got accepted into Lehigh University, looks like I am going to graduate school in the fall.
Tons of congrats. Well done.

SPat
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:31 pm

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by SPat » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:42 am

got into TIFR (Tata Institute, Mumbai), Dept. of Theory Physics. I won't be going there, but only because I want to go to grad school in the US. Otherwise its a great program, and depending on your interests has some of the best groups in the world (strings, cond-mat theory, etc.).

They've also just started accepting international students.

I was a summer student there, so if anyone needs any info about TIFR in general, I can help.

EDIT: Can we include a few US-style international grad schools, such as this, in the list of graduate school profiles?

pqortic
Posts: 398
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:24 am

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by pqortic » Sun May 08, 2011 7:27 pm

Based on what I heard, the graduate school admission season ended last week and no more offer or news will be sent out after May 6. However, we've got a very good profile thread this year with lots of applicants and good diversity. we are going to need volunteer/s to send notification to people about their profile to make any changes or updates before they forget things.
Also some of the profiles don't make sense at all and are misleading rather than useful. So if no more information is added, I will have to delete them.

astroprof
Posts: 110
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:47 pm

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by astroprof » Mon May 09, 2011 9:54 am

pqortic - while the majority of admissions decisions have been reached, some schools
are still working their way through the waitlist, and may even make offers until the very
day that school starts in the Fall. The only two fixed dates in the admissions process
are the deadline(s) for applications and April 15 (which is the earliest schools can
require a decision in response to a financial offer). So, although your post is well meaning
(and by all means, folks should update their profile on the profile thread asap), it is incorrect
to say that no more offers will be sent out after May 6.

User avatar
grae313
Posts: 2297
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 8:46 pm

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by grae313 » Mon May 09, 2011 11:33 am

pqortic wrote:Based on what I heard, the graduate school admission season ended last week and no more offer or news will be sent out after May 6. However, we've got a very good profile thread this year with lots of applicants and good diversity. we are going to need volunteer/s to send notification to people about their profile to make any changes or updates before they forget things.
Also some of the profiles don't make sense at all and are misleading rather than useful. So if no more information is added, I will have to delete them.
I would be very, very hesitant to delete anything. Even if it's incomplete, some information is often better than no information, and you can't assume that you're the best judge of what everyone else could find useful. If you really feel something is misleading, how about editing it just to insert a note or warning to users at the top, allowing them to use their own discretion as to how much weight they should give the information contained within that particular profile.

vesperlynd
Posts: 194
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:28 am

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by vesperlynd » Mon May 09, 2011 2:49 pm

Why not just send pm's to those who haven't completed a substantial portion of their profiles? By substantial, I mean profiles that include at least a few results. It looks like there are fewer than 10 people that would need to be pm'd. Also, if anyone wants to add their profile, they should do so soon.

pqortic
Posts: 398
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:24 am

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by pqortic » Mon May 09, 2011 7:56 pm

I was talking about for example this profile or this one. saying:
"P:990
stanford: accepted
MIT: accepted...." is not a profile. it's more like demoralizing. but we can keep them there just to keep the number of profiles high.

pqortic
Posts: 398
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:24 am

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by pqortic » Sun May 15, 2011 9:48 pm

vesperlynd wrote:Why not just send pm's to those who haven't completed a substantial portion of their profiles? By substantial, I mean profiles that include at least a few results. It looks like there are fewer than 10 people that would need to be pm'd. Also, if anyone wants to add their profile, they should do so soon.
I don't think sending a reminder to everyone would hurt. not too many profiles have the final decision. btw, do you want to send some of them? let me know if you can send to all of them or we can split the topic. below is a template that we used before or you can put together something similar.
if someone else is also interested in helping us to send the reminders let me know here.


*******************
subject: Updating Your Profile

Dear username,

This is a gentle reminder from physicsgre.com.

Now that April 15th has passed, we request that you update your profile in the 2011 Profiles thread with any remaining admission decisions or additional information you'd like to provide. Feel free to include date of results, assistantship, and what school you're attending, if any, and why.

As you can guess, these profiles are a great source of information for future prospective students and you may yourself have been helped by the previous profiles thread. Thanks for posting your profile.

Sincerely,
physicsgre.com

CarlBrannen
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 11:34 pm

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by CarlBrannen » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:05 am

Washington State University just informed me that I will be supported by a TA in the fall.



Post Reply