2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

  • This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

User avatar
sphy
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:23 am

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by sphy » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:22 pm

HappyQuark wrote: I got an email from their admissions department that said something along the lines of

"Dear HappyQuark,

Following is a copy of a letter that will be mailed to you. Please contact me if you have any questions. We look forward to hearing from you.
____________________________________________________

Dear Happy Quark,

Congratulations! I am pleased to inform you that the Admissions Committee of the Department of Physics and Astronomy has recommended to the Graduate Admissions Office of the University of Utah that you be admitted to our graduate program, beginning Fall Semester 2011. The Graduate Admissions Office should soon formally notify you of your admission to the University of Utah.
"


They then go on to detail a bit about funding, research and TA information, qualifier exam info and suggest that you visit their open house and offer $400 in compensation for your travel expenses, which so far as I can tell is pretty generous in comparison to most other programs.
Thank you and all the best.

negru
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:49 pm

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by negru » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:28 pm

tradster wrote:
negru wrote:
tradster wrote: The thing is that you are *supposed* to get into both Stanford and Berkeley. If you look at their visiting days (Stanford: 4/5-6, Berkeley: 4/7-8), everything will make sense.

By the way, what kind of financial package are they offering you in Stanford physics?
Oh I see. Unless I got something wrong it looks like $2800 a month. Apparently some combination of TA and RA.
Damn it. Should have applied to physics instead. They pay you guys more bucks than us.
Yeah it's quite a lot isn't, not sure why. A lot more than the other schools (ignoring special fellowships - but even with those you can hardly get as much). Harvard is 2500, Pton is 2300.

cryingsun
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:59 pm

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by cryingsun » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:35 pm

in my impression palo alto is very very expensive to live in

tradster
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by tradster » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:40 pm

Anyone have a idea about a stipend of , say, 32K in Palo Alto vs 26K in Pasadena?

bfollinprm
Posts: 1203
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:44 am

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by bfollinprm » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:47 pm

tradster wrote:Anyone have a idea about a stipend of , say, 32K in Palo Alto vs 26K in Pasadena?
Those are comparable. Nice of Stanford to make up the difference though; I've heard that Berkeley isn't as generous, and UC Irvine certainly shafted in their offer (22K/9months for orange county????)

axiomofchoice
Posts: 199
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:45 pm

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by axiomofchoice » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:17 pm

cryingsun wrote:in my impression palo alto is very very expensive to live in
After converting the stipend to the cost of living (courtesy of http://www.bestplaces.net/) of where I'm living now:
Cornell $2549 > Harvard $1454 > Columbia $1451 > MIT $1385 > Stanford $1259, all per month.

Cornell is the clear winner (and I'm only adding TA for the summer; RA in the summer apparently gets even more), Stanford the loser :lol:. I guess one can also argue that cost of living affects only a portion of the money one spends. Stanford has by far the largest absolute value, which should come in handy in paying off some student loans, assuming that one has leftover after paying the rent.

tradster
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by tradster » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:23 pm

axiomofchoice wrote:
cryingsun wrote:in my impression palo alto is very very expensive to live in
After converting the stipend to the cost of living (courtesy of http://www.bestplaces.net/) of where I'm living now:
Cornell $2549 > Harvard $1454 > Columbia $1451 > MIT $1385 > Stanford $1259, all per month.

Cornell is the clear winner (and I'm only adding TA for the summer; RA in the summer apparently gets even more), Stanford the loser :lol:. I guess one can also argue that cost of living affects only a portion of the money one spends. Stanford has by far the largest absolute value, which should come in handy in paying off some student loans, assuming that one has leftover after paying the rent.
Assuming that the differences in the cost of living are primarily due to the differences in rent, Stanford's stipend isn't that bad right? Say if you are paying $400 more in rent than, say, Cambridge, Stanford's stipend seems reasonable to me.

hamadahoda007
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by hamadahoda007 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:25 pm

As irrelevant as this may seem, Is this the longest thread ever in PhysicsGRE forums? :?:

User avatar
WhoaNonstop
Posts: 853
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:31 am

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by WhoaNonstop » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:57 pm

axiomofchoice wrote:
cryingsun wrote:in my impression palo alto is very very expensive to live in
After converting the stipend to the cost of living (courtesy of http://www.bestplaces.net/) of where I'm living now:
Cornell $2549 > Harvard $1454 > Columbia $1451 > MIT $1385 > Stanford $1259, all per month.

Cornell is the clear winner (and I'm only adding TA for the summer; RA in the summer apparently gets even more), Stanford the loser :lol:. I guess one can also argue that cost of living affects only a portion of the money one spends. Stanford has by far the largest absolute value, which should come in handy in paying off some student loans, assuming that one has leftover after paying the rent.
Although I've used bestplaces.net a lot, you need to be careful using their cost of living calculator. For example, Williamsburg, where William and Mary is, has a really high cost of living in the "housing" area because of the extreme cost of houses in the area. Although the statistic is calculated by housing and apartments, I'm sure one can overwhelm the other and I'm sure I won't be buying a house wherever I go to school.

However, Cornell will definitely be the best stipend just because of its location. You'll notice my list of schools that I applied to, stayed away from most of these high cost places (except for Santa Cruz), which include larger cities. I really wanted to apply to Stanford but after looking at the cost of apartments, I couldn't do it.

-Riley

User avatar
quizivex
Posts: 1035
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:13 am

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by quizivex » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:32 pm

@hamadahoda007: This thread might be the longest by the end of the admissions season, but it's got a while to go to catch the Fall 2008 Acceptances thread.

That thread had been split into two because of complaints by people who had no sense of humor... Here's the best part

There were 1094 posts total :)

Some classics:
xdebugger wrote:So nobody has gotten accepted to anywhere yet? This threat is making me quite nervous...
schandre wrote:I'd be a lot more nervous if this threat was 200 posts long and most people had already gotten their acceptance letters while I hadn't. :wink:
I wonder if grae could bring back the legendary "Male Locker Room" thread... plezzzzz pwetty pleez... just for one day?? :lol:

User avatar
WhoaNonstop
Posts: 853
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:31 am

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by WhoaNonstop » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:13 pm

quizivex wrote:I wonder if grae could bring back the legendary "Male Locker Room" thread... plezzzzz pwetty pleez... just for one day?? :lol:
I'm extremely curious now.

-Riley

strikershootingguard
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:39 am

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by strikershootingguard » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:15 pm

Is it common for schools to admit people in waves by research interest?

I've yet to hear from eight schools in my list. I do keep seeing acceptances from them in gradcafe and the profiles page here, but these happen to be applicants in other fields. Should I be worried about my chances there?

(If this helps, I'm an international student applying in cond-mat theory.)

User avatar
grae313
Posts: 2297
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 8:46 pm

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by grae313 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:57 am

quizivex wrote:I wonder if grae could bring back the legendary "Male Locker Room" thread... plezzzzz pwetty pleez... just for one day?? :lol:
a) what happened to it?
b) what could I possibly do that you couldn't?

User avatar
grae313
Posts: 2297
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 8:46 pm

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by grae313 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:59 am

tradster wrote:Assuming that the differences in the cost of living are primarily due to the differences in rent, Stanford's stipend isn't that bad right? Say if you are paying $400 more in rent than, say, Cambridge, Stanford's stipend seems reasonable to me.
Rent is outrageous but everything else is ridiculous.

bbsmitz
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:31 pm

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by bbsmitz » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:21 am

Columbia seems to be sending out admits in drips instead of one or two big droves... any idea if they're finished? Looking at grad cafe, anything after February is rejections so I'm starting to lose hope. :(

But congrats to those admitted!

guthria
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:38 am

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by guthria » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:06 am

Accepted to University of Rochester- Institute of Optics

Does me like snow?
Me doesn't know.
Gulp.

bfollinprm
Posts: 1203
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:44 am

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by bfollinprm » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:52 am

strikershootingguard wrote:Is it common for schools to admit people in waves by research interest?

I've yet to hear from eight schools in my list. I do keep seeing acceptances from them in gradcafe and the profiles page here, but these happen to be applicants in other fields. Should I be worried about my chances there?

(If this helps, I'm an international student applying in cond-mat theory.)
Internationals in general hear back later. I don't think most places do anything by subfield within a department, though I have heard of waitlists being split by reseaerch interest (A CMT student leaves, they bring another to take his/her place).

For domestics, next week is probably the last week for us to hear back (excepting waitlistings). For internationals, you probably can hold out hope until mid to late march.

tradster
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by tradster » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:17 am

Anyone have insider information about when Berkeley is going to start giving out offers?

They are SO SLOWWWWWW

vesperlynd
Posts: 194
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:28 am

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by vesperlynd » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:19 am

..
Last edited by vesperlynd on Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bfollinprm
Posts: 1203
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:44 am

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by bfollinprm » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:33 am

Ok, so, if Berkeley knows enough to send the email requesting transcripts, why can't they accept people who have sent in their official transcript?

User avatar
grae313
Posts: 2297
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 8:46 pm

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by grae313 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:05 pm

vesperlynd wrote:
tradster wrote:Anyone have insider information about when Berkeley is going to start giving out offers?

They are SO SLOWWWWWW
If you emailed Berkeley with an unofficial transcript back in December, you might have received an email saying that they need an official one. I received that email; within it, they said they were planning on admitting me - the graduate division needed the official one to finalize admission. I have not yet received anything from the Graduate Division, although the physics grad rep sent me info about the open house.

If you sent them an official transcript back in December, then there was no need for that email.
Uh, that sounds like an acceptance to me, vesperlynd. I don't think most of the applicants are in your shoes.

cryingsun
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:59 pm

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by cryingsun » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:16 pm

Hmm, it seems that Berkeley sent out those requests for official transcripts quite a while back. If that's like the first wave, what's taking them so long to choose the second wave (if there is one) :?:

bfollinprm
Posts: 1203
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:44 am

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by bfollinprm » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:44 pm

cryingsun wrote:Hmm, it seems that Berkeley sent out those requests for official transcripts quite a while back. If that's like the first wave, what's taking them so long to choose the second wave (if there is one) :?:
There should be another wave, but I'm with you: I feel like the top schools have just been sitting on their asses (though I guess this happens every year so I should have expected it).

User avatar
WhoaNonstop
Posts: 853
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:31 am

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by WhoaNonstop » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:13 pm

Yale Applied Physics needs to stop picking their nose so I don't die of anxiety!

-Riley

larry burns
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:12 pm

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by larry burns » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:47 pm

I also haven't heard a thing from Berkeley. If they sent out emails awhile back about requesting transcripts or that they are still reviewing apps or whatever, I certainly didn't get it

User avatar
HappyQuark
Posts: 762
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:08 am

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by HappyQuark » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:51 pm

And what is taking Stony Brook so damn long. According to gradcafe, they've only sent about 3 acceptances out and those were just within the last week or so.

bfollinprm
Posts: 1203
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:44 am

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by bfollinprm » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:33 pm

Just got an email from Berkeley; apparently they never got the transcript I sent. So, I know they're at least looking at applications now.

entanglement
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:07 pm

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by entanglement » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:29 pm

Comment Removed
Last edited by entanglement on Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

hamadahoda007
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by hamadahoda007 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:53 pm

entanglement wrote:
P.S.: Berkeley got this super grumpy old lady who takes care of the grad admission stuffs.
Imagine she is monitoring the Forums and that she could match you profile :D You will get a nice rejection letter even if the adcomm wants you like hell :D

bfollinprm
Posts: 1203
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:44 am

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by bfollinprm » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:57 pm

hamadahoda007 wrote:
entanglement wrote:
P.S.: Berkeley got this super grumpy old lady who takes care of the grad admission stuffs.
Imagine she is monitoring the Forums and that she could match you profile :D You will get a nice rejection letter even if the adcomm wants you like hell :D

Also, she seemed nice to me.

axiomofchoice
Posts: 199
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:45 pm

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by axiomofchoice » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:03 pm

grae313 wrote:
tradster wrote:Assuming that the differences in the cost of living are primarily due to the differences in rent, Stanford's stipend isn't that bad right? Say if you are paying $400 more in rent than, say, Cambridge, Stanford's stipend seems reasonable to me.
Rent is outrageous but everything else is ridiculous.
Just realized that Stanford's "full subsidy" for health insurance is only 50%. If I'm not mistaken, other schools all offer full health insurance coverage. Then Stanford's stipend is automatically lowered by about $1500 per year. Hmm.

Also called Berkeley and was promised an email back (haven't received it yet). The lady on the line was nice though.

User avatar
WhoaNonstop
Posts: 853
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:31 am

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by WhoaNonstop » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:17 pm

axiomofchoice wrote:Then Stanford's stipend is automatically lowered by about $1500 per year. Hmm.
I think you should stop quibbling about this and go wherever you need to in order to pay me my money.

-Riley

hamadahoda007
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by hamadahoda007 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:06 pm

accepted into Penn State Physics just before the weekend starts :)

vesperlynd
Posts: 194
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:28 am

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by vesperlynd » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:43 pm

..
Last edited by vesperlynd on Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dayton1903
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:36 pm

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by Dayton1903 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:45 pm

While we're sharing gossip about when schools will respond, does anybody know what's up with UPenn? The last few years they sent out lots of responses more than a month ago and were done a week ago, but GradCafe shows only one response this year.

axiomofchoice
Posts: 199
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:45 pm

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by axiomofchoice » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:09 am

WhoaNonstop wrote:I think you should stop quibbling about this and go wherever you need to in order to pay me my money.
-Riley
££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££ ^ 100

There you go. Note I'm paying you in a more favorable form of currency. :P
vesperlynd wrote:
axiomofchoice wrote:Just realized that Stanford's "full subsidy" for health insurance is only 50%. If I'm not mistaken, other schools all offer full health insurance coverage. Then Stanford's stipend is automatically lowered by about $1500 per year. Hmm.
Can you please post the link to this info? I thought the stipend would be at least the amount stated for every year.
"Automatic" in my head :wink: Unless you waive the insurance offered by Stanford, that ~$1500 will be gone sooner or later. Hate to quibble so much about money, but the rent is really, really darn high even in Stanford's graduate student housing, which apparently is already cheaper than neighboring places.

Alice
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:48 pm

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by Alice » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:38 am

Dayton1903 wrote:While we're sharing gossip about when schools will respond, does anybody know what's up with UPenn? The last few years they sent out lots of responses more than a month ago and were done a week ago, but GradCafe shows only one response this year.
I got an acceptance from them a couple of months ago.

signminus
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:15 pm

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by signminus » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:38 am

grae313 wrote:Rent is outrageous but everything else is ridiculous.
Could you be a bit more specific here? Everyone has different ideas about what's reasonable and what isn't. Thanks in advance.

vesperlynd
Posts: 194
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:28 am

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by vesperlynd » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:51 pm

..
Last edited by vesperlynd on Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
grae313
Posts: 2297
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 8:46 pm

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by grae313 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:51 pm

signminus wrote:
grae313 wrote:Rent is outrageous but everything else is ridiculous.
Could you be a bit more specific here? Everyone has different ideas about what's reasonable and what isn't. Thanks in advance.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/apa? ... &bedrooms=

Where you can get a studio apartment for $1250! oh boy!

http://www.bestplaces.net/col/?salary=3 ... 2=50655282

You will be able to live just fine on what they pay you, but you won't be saving any money or have a lot to spend on toys. In Ithaca, I bought all new furniture, a 52" plasma TV, etc etc, put about $10,000 into my IRA, and bought a house within the first year and a half. You won't do that in Palo Alto :)

liutian_min
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:47 pm

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by liutian_min » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:18 pm

grae313 wrote:
signminus wrote:
grae313 wrote:Rent is outrageous but everything else is ridiculous.
Could you be a bit more specific here? Everyone has different ideas about what's reasonable and what isn't. Thanks in advance.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/apa? ... &bedrooms=

Where you can get a studio apartment for $1250! oh boy!

http://www.bestplaces.net/col/?salary=3 ... 2=50655282

You will be able to live just fine on what they pay you, but you won't be saving any money or have a lot to spend on toys. In Ithaca, I bought all new furniture, a 52" plasma TV, etc etc, put about $10,000 into my IRA, and bought a house within the first year and a half. You won't do that in Palo Alto :)
What about living on campus? I plan to live on campus for the first year.

axiomofchoice
Posts: 199
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:45 pm

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by axiomofchoice » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:40 pm

grae313 wrote: You will be able to live just fine on what they pay you, but you won't be saving any money or have a lot to spend on toys. In Ithaca, I bought all new furniture, a 52" plasma TV, etc etc, put about $10,000 into my IRA, and bought a house within the first year and a half. You won't do that in Palo Alto :)
Bought a house :shock:? Grae, are you receiving NSF?

liutian_min wrote: What about living on campus? I plan to live on campus for the first year.
http://www.stanford.edu/dept/rde/shs/grad/bill_10.htm

Read carefully though, the 1-bd double occupancy or 2-bd triple occupancy is not something you want to get into, unless you are okay with sleeping in the living room.

User avatar
grae313
Posts: 2297
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 8:46 pm

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by grae313 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:59 pm

axiomofchoice wrote:Bought a house :shock:? Grae, are you receiving NSF?
I got NSF three or four months after closing on the house, but have deferred it so far because I'm on an NIH grant for at least this year and possibly next. My grant is for less than the TA/RA salary though so the university supplements my pay up to the regular rate, which is about the same as what the NSF pays. But anyway, no, I did all that on my TA stipend.

My post was still a bit disingenuous though -- my mom loaned me some money for the down payment and is on paper as a co-borrower to help me qualify for the mortgage. What is true is that I was saving money at the rate of about $10,000 per year even after making a lot of large, one time purchases and eating out all the time, and I decided to put the money into a house. Several other classmates of mine have done the same.

signminus
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:15 pm

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by signminus » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:38 pm

grae313 wrote:http://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/apa? ... &bedrooms=

Where you can get a studio apartment for $1250! oh boy!

http://www.bestplaces.net/col/?salary=3 ... 2=50655282

You will be able to live just fine on what they pay you, but you won't be saving any money or have a lot to spend on toys. In Ithaca, I bought all new furniture, a 52" plasma TV, etc etc, put about $10,000 into my IRA, and bought a house within the first year and a half. You won't do that in Palo Alto :)
Ah, I see. Thanks for this info—I was having trouble finding listings for PA on Craigslist when I first looked.

I'll put my profile up eventually.

User avatar
YodaT
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 2:01 am

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by YodaT » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:22 am

grae313 wrote:
signminus wrote:
grae313 wrote:Rent is outrageous but everything else is ridiculous.
Could you be a bit more specific here? Everyone has different ideas about what's reasonable and what isn't. Thanks in advance.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/apa? ... &bedrooms=

Where you can get a studio apartment for $1250! oh boy!

http://www.bestplaces.net/col/?salary=3 ... 2=50655282

You will be able to live just fine on what they pay you, but you won't be saving any money or have a lot to spend on toys. In Ithaca, I bought all new furniture, a 52" plasma TV, etc etc, put about $10,000 into my IRA, and bought a house within the first year and a half. You won't do that in Palo Alto :)
I'd actually very much like to go to Stanford and live in Palo Alto over almost any school out there. The school is ok (aside from the fact that those chumps wait-listed me for transfer admissions), but the thing about the place is that it's in Silicon Valley. Lets say my physics phase blows over three years into graduate school. What then? Move back to my parents' mobile home or work the connections with start-up companies? New furniture, a plasma TV, money into my IRA, and a new house... all that can wait if I'm still living in 20 years.

User avatar
sphy
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:23 am

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by sphy » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:40 am

grae313 wrote:
axiomofchoice wrote:Bought a house :shock:? Grae, are you receiving NSF?
I got NSF three or four months after closing on the house, but have deferred it so far because I'm on an NIH grant for at least this year and possibly next. My grant is for less than the TA/RA salary though so the university supplements my pay up to the regular rate, which is about the same as what the NSF pays. But anyway, no, I did all that on my TA stipend.

My post was still a bit disingenuous though -- my mom loaned me some money for the down payment and is on paper as a co-borrower to help me qualify for the mortgage. What is true is that I was saving money at the rate of about $10,000 per year even after making a lot of large, one time purchases and eating out all the time, and I decided to put the money into a house. Several other classmates of mine have done the same.
Wow that's so cooooooool.

User avatar
grae313
Posts: 2297
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 8:46 pm

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by grae313 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:43 pm

YodaT wrote:I'd actually very much like to go to Stanford and live in Palo Alto over almost any school out there.
That's cool, I'm not hating on it at all. I almost went there. I'm just letting people know it's expensive to live there.
YodaT wrote:the thing about the place is that it's in Silicon Valley. Lets say my physics phase blows over three years into graduate school. What then?
What then? Um, move to silicon valley if that's where you want to be. I did my undergrad at San Jose State and grew up about 40 minutes north of San Francisco. I'm coming back to the bay area as soon as I'm done in Ithaca, that's for sure ;) I don't plan to work in academia either. Sure you might make a few more connections to south bay tech companies through Stanford, but I'm really not worried that my job prospects will be damaged because I'm coming from Cornell.
YodaT wrote:New furniture, a plasma TV, money into my IRA, and a new house... all that can wait if I'm still living in 20 years.
The comfort items can always wait, but investing should start now. Whether you invest in real estate, something else, or put the money into an IRA, money you put away now has exponentially more impact that money you put away 20 years from now. This is to everyone, not just YodaT. Even if it's just a hundred dollars a month, start saving.

User avatar
LoronDotCom
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:07 pm

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by LoronDotCom » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:55 pm

Just got my first acceptance! University of Toledo, my safety school, for Astrophysics, 22k/year + TA. Feels sooooo good to get that first one! :D

User avatar
sphy
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:23 am

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by sphy » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:37 pm

LoronDotCom wrote:Just got my first acceptance! University of Toledo, my safety school, for Astrophysics, 22k/year + TA. Feels sooooo good to get that first one! :D
Nice to share the happyness with you. All the best for your top choices. :D

User avatar
WhoaNonstop
Posts: 853
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:31 am

Re: 2011 Acceptances and profile discussions

Post by WhoaNonstop » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:44 pm

grae313 wrote:Even if it's just a hundred dollars a month, start saving.
Pay off any undergraduate debt too. ;D Not that any of you need to be told that.

-Riley



Post Reply