Missing items - what to do

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

vesperlynd

Missing items - what to do

Post by vesperlynd » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:39 am

Last edited by vesperlynd on Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Graham

Re: Missing items - what to do

Post by Graham » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:53 pm

Don't sweat it for another month or so. It is likely that they won't even look at your file until the committee first meets in January or whenever, and they will notify you if something is missing. It would not be in their best interest to eliminate worthy applicants because of mail issues; they just want the best people.

vesperlynd

Post by vesperlynd » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:58 pm

Last edited by vesperlynd on Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zxcv

Post by zxcv » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:41 am

vesperlynd wrote:What do I do about GRE test scores? I took the general test back in October and retook it in November, after the November PGRE. When I called ETS, the woman told me that I could just order reports for the November PGRE, and the ones from the November GRE would be included because they would already be available. However, I received my score report today in the mail and only the ones from October were included. So this means that all of my Nov. general scores will be late.
I had a mix-up like this. Schools are generally understanding, and if it's their mistake, ETS will resend the scores for free. If you're worried about it, you can include a note in your application or send a separation letter or email with a copy of your missing score report.

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:51 am

vesperlynd's case reminds me of something I like to mention to applicants each year: FYI, from experience, ETS operators are not reliable. Different ones often give inconsistent or plain wrong information. Try to find answers to your questions on their website or elsewhere online when available. When you have to count on the operators, check up soon after whatever was done to make sure it worked out as planned, before it's too late... and obviously, check to make sure your scores were received when possible.

vesperlynd

Post by vesperlynd » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:01 pm