Change of program of study

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

skk

Change of program of study

Post by skk » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:38 am

Hello all,

This topic may not be relevant to many of you. I would like to change the program of study now from Physics to Applied Physics. On the application form, it seems possible because we get to select the program. (except Berkeley, where it is fixed once you register recommenders) But, since I registered my recommenders while I was signed up for Physics, would it have any impact on recommendation forms?

For instance, would the recommendation forms show things like "program of study: physics", in which case (now the recommendations forms are submitted) changing the program to Applied Physics would cause some confusion or problem...

Thanks again for your comments!

appliedphysics

Re: Change of program of study

Post by appliedphysics » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:33 pm

I think for many schools, Applied Physics is a different program from Physics so I think you might have to submit a different application to Applied Physics. Which programs are you applying to?

skk

Re: Change of program of study

Post by skk » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:51 pm

Hi appliedphysics,

Thank you for your reply.

I am applying to Applied Physics at University of Michigan. I hear you can work with any professor you want, and the program is very good.