whom to contact for admission inquiry

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

blackcat007

whom to contact for admission inquiry

Post by blackcat007 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:06 am

I saw in the grad cafe that one guy got his admission decision (although it was rejection from University of Pennsylvania) in response to inquiry. In this case whom should we contact with this inquiry? email some profs? or the grad coordinator?
Further, my website status of UPenn still shows my application status as "submitted". so is it a good idea to contact anyone?

Thanks

YellowXDart

Re: whom to contact for admission inquiry

Post by YellowXDart » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:00 am

I think most departments have a graduate coordinator designated, and that would be the best person to contact. I think, however, that it is still fairly early and that you should refrain from contacting departments until March.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:06 pm

yes and yes.

geshi

Post by geshi » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:28 pm

YellowXDart wrote:I think most departments have a graduate coordinator designated, and that would be the best person to contact. I think, however, that it is still fairly early and that you should refrain from contacting departments until March.
Exactly this.

For me personally, I am going to start emailing the last day of February/first day of March area. I've already heard from several programs (2 of which I have great interest in!), and I want to know if I'm waitlisted or rejected from those other schools! Then I can just make my decision after visits.