Physics updates/acceptances (2010)

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

geshi

Physics updates/acceptances (2010)

Post by geshi » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:51 pm

The Astronomy people started a thread, so I figured the physics people should have a thread! Share when you hear back from schools!

Ryalnos

Re: Physics updates/acceptances (2010)

Post by Ryalnos » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:32 pm

I received an acceptance email from UW-Madison today!

And posted it at:
http://thegradcafe.com/survey/post.php

terrence

Post by terrence » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:06 pm

Congrats Ryalnos, SO early!

AO

Post by AO » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:04 pm

I just got my UW-Madison acceptance as well! What branch of physics are you trying to get into.

Josh

Mataka

Post by Mataka » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:24 pm

By the way, we should make a rule; you cannot post any acceptance result before you posted your profile in the profile 2010 thread ;)

It's not only a good gauge for future students, it's vital information for the current applicants and probably still interesting for past applicants ...

Ryalnos

Post by Ryalnos » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:19 am

I feel like holding onto some anonymity for just a little while longer. Call it paranoia.

AO: I'm interested in plasma - one of UW-Madison's strong suits.

bibimbop

Post by bibimbop » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:15 pm

Ryalnos wrote:I feel like holding onto some anonymity for just a little while longer. Call it paranoia.
Same... I'll add my profile once I get an acceptance though :mrgreen:

Mataka

Post by Mataka » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:57 pm

Seriously guys ... do you really think that a member of the graduate committee will be like "This is a good candidate, I think we should accept him, but ho no wait, he posted his profile on the physicsGRE forum, on second thought I don't think we should accept him".

geshi

Post by geshi » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:02 pm

Mataka wrote:Seriously guys ... do you really think that a member of the graduate committee will be like "This is a good candidate, I think we should accept him, but ho no wait, he posted his profile on the physicsGRE forum, on second thought I don't think we should accept him".
I at least hope no one thinks this way. Yes, I'm sure at some programs, they could probably match up our online profiles to what they have on file. However, I think that would be a waste of their time if they even know about this site. If anything, it would make them work harder to get us to go to their school if they see we have multiple acceptance :wink: . Again, that's sort of an outlandish thought.

admissionprof

Post by admissionprof » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:26 pm

geshi wrote:
Mataka wrote:Seriously guys ... do you really think that a member of the graduate committee will be like "This is a good candidate, I think we should accept him, but ho no wait, he posted his profile on the physicsGRE forum, on second thought I don't think we should accept him".
I at least hope no one thinks this way. Yes, I'm sure at some programs, they could probably match up our online profiles to what they have on file. However, I think that would be a waste of their time if they even know about this site. If anything, it would make them work harder to get us to go to their school if they see we have multiple acceptance :wink: . Again, that's sort of an outlandish thought.
Many graduate admissions directors (like me) look at this site. But I can't imagine that we would try to match the profile to some specific person--we have better things to do with our time. And even if we matched it up, I can't see how it could possibly make a difference in anything...

AO

Post by AO » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:24 pm

Ryalnos wrote:I feel like holding onto some anonymity for just a little while longer. Call it paranoia.

AO: I'm interested in plasma - one of UW-Madison's strong suits.

I am interested in plasma as well. BTW You should post your profile in the 2010 applicant section.

Josh

geshi

Post by geshi » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:23 pm

Rejected from UW-Madison today (1/27). Sad day. :( Guess I'll definitely be moving next year.

Apparently I wasn't the only one: http://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=physics

AO

Post by AO » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:46 pm

I just got an email from Michigan State offering to fly me out to visit (they just say they're "very interested in your application file"). I'm tempted to decline and withdraw my application but I still haven't heard anything from Madison with regards to my financial package. How long do you think I can wait before responding?

mobytish

Post by mobytish » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:51 pm

You can always call and ask about your financial package. I'm sure if you explain the situation they might be able to give you some ideas.

geshi

Post by geshi » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:24 pm

AO wrote:I just got an email from Michigan State offering to fly me out to visit (they just say they're "very interested in your application file"). I'm tempted to decline and withdraw my application but I still haven't heard anything from Madison with regards to my financial package. How long do you think I can wait before responding?
It sounds like they are testing how interested you are. If you fly out for a visit, they'll probably make sure to give you a legitimate offer. If you say no to a visit, they may reject you. If they are offering to fly you out, I have serious doubts they're going to reject you outright. That would be a waste of money.

highbounce

Post by highbounce » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:57 pm

According to thegradcafe, Wisconsin sent a lot of rejections today. But I still havn't heard anything from them, let's hope that no news is good news :?

geshi

Post by geshi » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:42 am

highbounce wrote:According to thegradcafe, Wisconsin sent a lot of rejections today. But I still havn't heard anything from them, let's hope that no news is good news :?
At the very least you're probably on a wait list. You have at least hope still :-P

Ryalnos

Post by Ryalnos » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:34 am

geshi wrote:Rejected from UW-Madison today (1/27). Sad day. :( Guess I'll definitely be moving next year.
May I interpret this to understand that UW-Madison was your undergrad institution?

geshi

Post by geshi » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:03 am

May I interpret this to understand that UW-Madison was your undergrad institution?
No, but I am currently living here for the year. I didn't think I would get in. I'm just not looking forward to moving again (there were of course other factors in my desire to go to Madison).

terrence

Post by terrence » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:59 am

BU started sending out acceptance emails on Jan 27. This is making me really anxious.

johnpauljones

Post by johnpauljones » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:21 pm

Unofficially accepted to Clemson via phone call from faculty.

I'm sorta surprised by all the phone call acceptances & interviews I see people posting. You'd think us awkward creatures in the physical sciences would lean more toward email :lol: but I suppose a phone call is still the quickest and best way to both measure somebody's interest level and to build a rapport with the students you want to 'recruit' after you've decided to accept them.

geshi

Post by geshi » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:51 pm

Woot! Got an offer from Colorado State today! January is not even over and I have 2 offers already!

blackcat007

Post by blackcat007 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:54 pm

geshi wrote:Woot! Got an offer from Colorado State today! January is not even over and I have 2 offers already!
wow congrats.. :D someone got even in 3 schools by jan :o

in another note.. iam still waiting.. may be till rapture.. :P

Mataka

Post by Mataka » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:33 pm

Yeah the waiting is killing me too, I don't know if it's just the stress of the waiting but somehow I'm starting to think I may have aimed too high with my choice of schools...

bibimbop

Post by bibimbop » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:51 pm

yea the past week definitely went much slower because of the waiting... it's like watching water boil :|

kroner

Post by kroner » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:57 pm

Mataka wrote:Yeah the waiting is killing me too, I don't know if it's just the stress of the waiting but somehow I'm starting to think I may have aimed too high with my choice of schools...
I'm having the exact same feeling. I know it's irrational since I haven't been confronted with any new information that should make me down-grade the strength of my application.

Mataka

Post by Mataka » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:58 pm

Haha forget what I just said, I just received a pretty cool email, I got in Cornell :)

YellowXDart

Post by YellowXDart » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:01 pm

Mataka wrote:Haha forget what I just said, I just received a pretty cool email, I got in Cornell :)
Wow congrats! That's really big news. I'm actually a little suprised at all the early responses.

blackcat007

Post by blackcat007 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:05 pm

kroner wrote:
Mataka wrote:Yeah the waiting is killing me too, I don't know if it's just the stress of the waiting but somehow I'm starting to think I may have aimed too high with my choice of schools...
I'm having the exact same feeling. I know it's irrational since I haven't been confronted with any new information that should make me down-grade the strength of my application.
I am really happy to see that I am not the only one who is getting paranoid :P
I now live my life like a clerk.. wake up.. check emails, eat check emails.. carry out other bodily functions check emails.. .....check emails.......check emails... .. go to bed..

Com'on... its still January.. chill out guys!! (I wish I could say that to myself)

blackcat007

Post by blackcat007 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:07 pm

Mataka wrote:Haha forget what I just said, I just received a pretty cool email, I got in Cornell :)
hahaha congrats!!!.. I should also start posting my frustrations.. may be i will too get an acceptance..

MacCutcheon60

Post by MacCutcheon60 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:25 pm

Got a golden ticket to UT Austin's open house (Feb. 17-19)! Via email about 10 minutes ago. Good luck to all.

meggo

Post by meggo » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:33 pm

geshi wrote:
AO wrote:I just got an email from Michigan State offering to fly me out to visit (they just say they're "very interested in your application file"). I'm tempted to decline and withdraw my application but I still haven't heard anything from Madison with regards to my financial package. How long do you think I can wait before responding?
It sounds like they are testing how interested you are. If you fly out for a visit, they'll probably make sure to give you a legitimate offer. If you say no to a visit, they may reject you. If they are offering to fly you out, I have serious doubts they're going to reject you outright. That would be a waste of money.
When I originally applied to grad schools back in 2007, I got into MSU's physics department. It seems like you're pretty much in if you get a visit, but they didn't give out financial offers until a week or so after I visited. I do know of somebody who did not get in after visiting, but that was an unusual case (as far as I can tell). I think they do things this way to see how people fit with the department.

If you get multiple phone calls between now and April, then I would say it's a good bet that they want you. Also, definitely visit. I had a great time when I did.

kroner

Post by kroner » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:39 pm

godammit!

I mean congratulations. :)

abcdefg

Post by abcdefg » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:04 pm

MacCutcheon60 wrote:Got a golden ticket to UT Austin's open house (Feb. 17-19)! Via email about 10 minutes ago. Good luck to all.
ME TOO!!! Now I can relax....Heard from one, nine to go...

Any idea how many people they invite to these kinds of things?

terrence

Post by terrence » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:08 pm

Congratulations!

Mataka

Post by Mataka » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:26 pm

W: 3.5 (23%, note to future test takers: don't end your essays with winky-faces)
Haha ! What were you thinking ?
Last edited by Mataka on Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

ddubs

Post by ddubs » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:35 pm

Just got Michigan Applied Physics with aid info and open house invite.

:D

Congrats to everyone that has heard already, and good luck to those that haven't yet. If you must, taking a year off did wonders for me, so don't sweat it. It's not a big deal.

ultraballer2000

Post by ultraballer2000 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:56 pm

ddubs wrote: Congrats to everyone that has heard already, and good luck to those that haven't yet. If you must, taking a year off did wonders for me, so don't sweat it. It's not a big deal.
You say that as if it's already late March, but it's not even February yet!

AO

Post by AO » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:34 pm

ultraballer2000 wrote:
ddubs wrote: Congrats to everyone that has heard already, and good luck to those that haven't yet. If you must, taking a year off did wonders for me, so don't sweat it. It's not a big deal.
You say that as if it's already late March, but it's not even February yet!
You're correct but I went 0/10 last year and, while it hurt at the time, this past year has been great. I was able to add some publications (3+) and a lot of work experience (which lead to much better recommendations) to my resume and take a different approach to applying. I think it is incredibly important not to think that this years applications are the defining point in your academic careers. Failure builds character and, not to sound too cliche yet again, if you can't deal with getting rejected you have no business going into a field littered with far more failures than success's.

That being said I hope y'all get into your top choices. Just don't worry if you don't. You have the rest of your life to show those people who rejected you what a terrible mistake they made.

edited for poor word usage.
Last edited by AO on Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YellowXDart

Post by YellowXDart » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:42 pm

I would agree 100% with what has been said. Just as a word for posterity or those first time applicants who feel really unconfident about their profiles: it is not the end of the world if you don't get in. I went through some severe depression for several months after receiving so many rejections, and almost reevaluated the dreams that I had held since I was a kid. I think that this year off has given me very useful experiences, both professionally and personally, and it shows the adcoms that you really are committed to your craft if you persevere through all the rejections and try again.

geshi

Post by geshi » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:41 am

YellowXDart wrote:I would agree 100% with what has been said. Just as a word for posterity or those first time applicants who feel really unconfident about their profiles: it is not the end of the world if you don't get in. I went through some severe depression for several months after receiving so many rejections, and almost reevaluated the dreams that I had held since I was a kid. I think that this year off has given me very useful experiences, both professionally and personally, and it shows the adcoms that you really are committed to your craft if you persevere through all the rejections and try again.
I support this. As one of several people on this forum who had to take a year off, I can say the real thing it has done is multiplied my perseverance. I was confident grad school was what I wanted to do during my senior year of undergrad. I too did some reevaluation. All it has done is made me convinced I absolutely need to go to graduate school. Physics is where I belong and physics is where I will stay. But seriously, it's January: you don't need to worry.

And yes, if April 15th rolls around and you have heard no acceptances, it's probably a bad sign. I suffered horrible, horrible depression for several months because of it (it didn't help that my girlfriend got a fellowship offer to one of the top 5 programs in her field).

ultraballer2000

Post by ultraballer2000 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:41 am

Man, that sounds pretty intense. I don't think anyone can ever be fully prepared for failure though, that's why it's key to have a backup plan. My back up plan is to crap myself.

geshi

Post by geshi » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:07 am

ultraballer2000 wrote:Man, that sounds pretty intense. I don't think anyone can ever be fully prepared for failure though, that's why it's key to have a backup plan. My back up plan is to crap myself.
Huh ... yeah ... rereading my post I realize it's somewhat depressing, haha. I guess what I SHOULD have said is "Don't do what I did and put all your self worth in where/if you get into graduate school." ;)

I suppose the point I was trying to make was: it's still January; April is still far away.

ddubs

Post by ddubs » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:20 pm

True, it isn't February yet. I guess this is the 'acceptances' thread, but I can't help but feel a slight pang of guilt at posting an acceptance when some people haven't heard yet so I tried to offer some consolation haha.

Engage

Post by Engage » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:13 pm

accepted to UCSB. first choice, so stoked!

Mataka

Post by Mataka » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:36 pm

Engage wrote:accepted to UCSB. first choice, so stoked!
Congratulations ! That means you should put your profile back in the profile section ;)

matonski

Post by matonski » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:51 pm

Even though logically this wait should feel worse, it isn't as nerve-racking for me as waiting for the PGRE scores to be released. Maybe it's because I knew exactly what day it was going to happen.

Mataka

Post by Mataka » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:02 pm

matonski wrote:Even though logically this wait should feel worse, it isn't as nerve-racking for me as waiting for the PGRE scores to be released. Maybe it's because I knew exactly what day it was going to happen.
For me it's much worse for the exact same reason, because I don't know the day it will happen, every day is long and painful ! ;)

geshi

Post by geshi » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:10 pm

Just got accepted to Oregon State today.

mobytish

Post by mobytish » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:25 pm

Mataka wrote: For me it's much worse for the exact same reason, because I don't know the day it will happen, every day is long and painful ! ;)
I don't even understand the point of an application deadline if it's going to take them several weeks before they even start looking at applications. Why not just make the deadline one or two days before you intend to review applications and start making decisions? Then, at least, I'd have an idea of how long I'm going to have to wait to find out.