UW-Madison supplementary application

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

highbounce

UW-Madison supplementary application

Post by highbounce » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:27 pm

For people who applied to Wisconsin, how many days did you have to wait for the email with access information to the department's supplementary application after submitting your main application? I submitted my main application on last Friday and have yet to hear from them.

highbounce

Re: UW-Madison supplementary application

Post by highbounce » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:12 pm

Anyone? Anyone?

It seems like everyone at Wisconsin responsible for grad application is on vacation. So if I don't get this departmental application access on time, how am I supposed to turn in my stuff before the deadline which is Jan 1st?

Kites

Post by Kites » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:35 pm

<.< I hate to be the bearer of bad news but before I start... which department did you apply for?

I also applied to UW-Madison but my application was for the Medical Physics department. They also had a supplemental application. Though, to obtain the supplemental materials you had to contact that department before submitting the application. The reasoning, from my understanding, is that the graduate coordinator does a short over the phone check that you meet the basic requirements for application, when those lights go green he/she emails you those supplemental materials which you then email back.

In short, if you haven't gotten one by now you're in a tough spot. I would try and find someone else who's applying. They might have a copy of those materials in their email archive or on a flash drive. I know I still have mine for the Medical Physics department but their deadline was the 1st of this month.

Best of luck!

highbounce

Post by highbounce » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:44 pm

Kites wrote:<.< I hate to be the bearer of bad news but before I start... which department did you apply for?

I also applied to UW-Madison but my application was for the Medical Physics department. They also had a supplemental application. Though, to obtain the supplemental materials you had to contact that department before submitting the application. The reasoning, from my understanding, is that the graduate coordinator does a short over the phone check that you meet the basic requirements for application, when those lights go green he/she emails you those supplemental materials which you then email back.

In short, if you haven't gotten one by now you're in a tough spot. I would try and find someone else who's applying. They might have a copy of those materials in their email archive or on a flash drive. I know I still have mine for the Medical Physics department but their deadline was the 1st of this month.

Best of luck!

Thanks! However, I applied to the physics department, so I don't think I was supposed to contact the department first. According to their instructions, I just had to submit my main application and wait for an email from the department.

martinche

Post by martinche » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:55 am

Hi

I've applied to PhD UW-Madison chemistry program and my supplementary application check box is empty as well. But, I don't think you're in a "tight spot", it is not your fault the fact that you forgot to fill that form. Moreover, there is no web page providing information about this supp. app. I think they'll send to you that supplementary app. after the deadline! don't worry

Bye

Kites

Post by Kites » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:29 pm

You should still play it safe and work on getting a hold of the department when they come back from the holidays ( not sure when ). The medical physics supplemental materials weren't listed on any website either but they were due before deadline still.