how much do grad schools value special programs in college?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

phun

how much do grad schools value special programs in college?

Post by phun » Fri May 12, 2006 1:17 am

Hi I am a junior in physics and I will be applying to grad schools this fall.
I am currently in a special science program at my school which is highly regarded for the quality of its students. When I register for next year's courses, I might have to make a decision between staying in that program (and taking required classes for the program) and taking a year-long real analysis sequence. I can't do both because there is a time conflict. If I complete all the required courses for the program, I actually get a major in that program.
My question is, how much would physics grad schools value my involvement in the program as opposed to taking real analysis in my senior year?
Previous grads of my program have gone on to prestigious programs in all areas of science. However, I feel that real analysis is something that I can really benefit from having gone through.
What I am also wondering is, when grad schools look at my transcript, do they pay attention to each individual courses and the course attributes? I am asking this because even if I don't stay in the program, the course attribute on my transcript will indicate that the classes I have taken are limited enrollment classes for the program members.
Thanks for any insights you can offer!
Last edited by phun on Fri May 12, 2006 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

bluefire

Post by bluefire » Fri May 12, 2006 1:36 am

I would say that you should stay in the program. If you will graduate with a major in that program, I don't think it would make sense to leave, for a one year analysis sequence. Analysis is important and forms the theorectical foundations for calculus in general. However, not taking analysis will not decrease your chance of getting into graduate school. Plus, speaking from experience, analysis is a VERY time consuming course(i.e. difficult) and you need to be an expert time manager to handle the senior year physics courses and analysis.
My advice would be to stay in the program.

jormiga

stay in the program

Post by jormiga » Sun May 14, 2006 3:05 am

I completely agree with bluefire. I just finished the first semester of the one year sequence and there was nothing that could be applied to physics. It is definitely time consuming. I would stay in the program, in particular if it is so highly regarded.
In theory, the committees will take a look at your transcript and will consider the classes you have taken, as well as your grades and the quality of your program/school. While taking the analysis classes would be in your benefit, not taking them will not affect you whatsoever.

Regards!

phun

Post by phun » Mon May 15, 2006 6:31 pm

Thanks for the replies :P