good application?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

rjharris

good application?

Post by rjharris » Wed May 10, 2006 7:03 pm

Hello all,

I've been a bit nervous about getting into grad school for a time, just because a couple of my friends who i think had similar qualifications as I got rejected by almost everywhere. I might just be being stupid, but i'm really nervous.

My profile's as follows:

MIT physics/math bs. candidate: overall gpa 4.8/5.0, physics i think is 4.7-4.8
american student (not international)
physics gre score 990, no subject test yet
moderate research experience (about 1.5 years total) in x-ray binary star system modelling and analysis of x-ray timing data.

also, do the specific courses count? i've had 2 em courses, 3 qm, 2 statmech, 1 adv. classical mechanics class, 2 lab courses, and some elective astrophysics courses. all undergrad so far, but i plan to take grad courses my sr. year, next year.

thanks to any who volunteer opinions.

robert

tleilax

Post by tleilax » Wed May 10, 2006 8:19 pm

"physics gre score 990, no subject test yet "

The above line I don't understand, but you are about twice as qualified as I was. I wouldn't worry about it.

rjharris

Post by rjharris » Wed May 10, 2006 8:31 pm

sorry, i messed up. i meant no general subject test taken yet. thanks.

bluefire

Post by bluefire » Thu May 11, 2006 12:38 am

You have nothing to worry to about. Your numbers are excellent. You should check out Harvard or Caltech. I think you are definately competitive.

Relativist

Post by Relativist » Thu May 11, 2006 3:59 am

So when are you taking the General? Also, you might want to apply to some fellowships. You doing REU over ths summer?

rjharris

Post by rjharris » Thu May 11, 2006 4:27 pm

i plan on taking the general the next time asap though i dont know really when that is, i need to look it up.

i'm not doing an reu, i'm staying on campus and doing the same stuff i've been doing (binary population synthesis/ binary evolution and timing analysis)