JHU still waiting

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

astromandi

JHU still waiting

Post by astromandi » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:32 am

I haven`t yet heard anything from Johns Hopkins. I am an international applicant.
I have sent them quite a few mails inquiring about my status. but there was no reply for any of them.
I also called them up couple of times. But heard recorded message from answering machine.

The same thing happened with my Penn State application..... I didn't get any reply to any mails for a long time... But got a rejection mail on 15th April....

What does that mean? Does it mean that I am rejected or on waiting list?

Would it make any sense to still have some hope from JHU???

astrofan

Re: JHU still waiting

Post by astrofan » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:55 am

Yeah, I feel your pain. I don't understand why they can't send you an e-mail telling you your status.

I wouldn't hold my breadth about JHU; I have a feeling they are done with accepting people, and are just too lazy to send out rejection e-mails.

stargazer

Post by stargazer » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:40 am

@astromandi:

I agree with astrofan; JHU did send e-mails to people on the waiting list.

Helio

Post by Helio » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:47 am

stargazer wrote:@astromandi:

I agree with astrofan; JHU did send e-mails to people on the waiting list.
actually no... i had to ask to get an email from them telling me i was on the waitlist.

acmilan

Post by acmilan » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:15 am

astromandi, I am afraid I have to agree with astrofan ... and given that it's been a week since April 15th, chances are JHU, as well as other schools, are done with making offers or have at least informed those on their waiting list who have a chance of getting an offer.

Still, my advice is to email several professors at the department. See on their website if it says who is the head of grad admissions committee, head of grad studies or chairman of the department and send them an email inquiring about the status of your application and if it's still being considered i.e. if you are on their waiting lists and they are still making offers.
By saying this, I assume that you have tried to get in touch with them via the generic email they leave for contact, which only connects you to administrative staff and they often have the habit of not replying back and/or being too lazy to make an inquiry on your behalf.

This being said, if you don't get in anywhere, this won't be the end of the world, quite the opposite actually - you will have some time to prep more for your tests and score better, hopefully get some extra research experience/publication under your belt and rethink your school choices and approach to a successful app now that you have a better idea what may be the strong and what the weak points in your profile.

Best of luck :wink: