Feeling a little bit rusty?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

bryanwitha_y

Feeling a little bit rusty?

Post by bryanwitha_y » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:48 pm

Is anyone else feeling more or less....out of practice?

Studying up for the GRE was one thing in flexing the mental muscles, but I'm afraid I've gotten quite rusty in the year since undergrad, and I can only hope that I can get back up to speed in the time before my grad-level classes.

Any advice? Stories? Commiserations? Share your frightened anticipation!

FNR

Re: Feeling a little bit rusty?

Post by FNR » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:18 pm

Me too! So far, I only take my spare time of reviewing Griffiths... and God knows what would happen were I to do Jackson here and now.... :wink:

pqortic

Post by pqortic » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:51 pm

Yes, I need advice here. I cannot restart catch up on the textbooks. especially i need some prep. for Jackson before fall begins.

detunedradio

Post by detunedradio » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:31 pm

I applied to graduate school the fall after I finished undergraduate, so I will have been out of school for almost a year and a half before I start up again in September.

I am so doomed. It could take months before I learn how to stop being dumb. It's gonna be a fun semester!

bryanwitha_y

Post by bryanwitha_y » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:31 pm

detunedradio wrote:I applied to graduate school the fall after I finished undergraduate, so I will have been out of school for almost a year and a half before I start up again in September.

I am so doomed. It could take months before I learn how to stop being dumb. It's gonna be a fun semester!

Worry not, detunedradio! I'm in the same boat with you here. I'm pretty sure that though we're rusty now, just a little bit of what I call "necessity" will whip us back in shape. That necessity being that we have to do well in our classes or lose our support :|

My approach to help de-rustify though is through attempting a bunch of grad school problems, twisting em around, failing to solve them, and then going step by step through the solutions, noting what I don't know, looking up that topic, and making a few notecards for each little unknown. Got a pretty good stack now, and I feel it's helped me out a lot just studying em. I at least feel like I sort of have a chance against these problems now. Sort of...