What should be in the letter to ask about my status?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

sonwon

What should be in the letter to ask about my status?

Post by sonwon » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:50 pm

Like the topic. Anyone have the right and appropriate way to suggest me?
I really want to contact the University that I haven't heard from them asap.
Please help me? I 've already searched the board but I can't find the one. :oops:

zxcv

Re: What should be in the letter to ask about my status?

Post by zxcv » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:59 pm

Very trite answer: don't bother, you've already been rejected.

Trite: your name.

Less-trite: it really doesn't matter what you say in your email.

Possibly helpful:
Dear X,

I'm writing to inquire about the status of my application to Y school. I'm still very excited about your graduate program but this information would be helpful as I plan my visiting schedule for other programs. Thanks for your assistance.

Sincerely,
Your Name

shouravv

Re: What should be in the letter to ask about my status?

Post by shouravv » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:53 pm

zxcv wrote:Very trite answer: don't bother, you've already been rejected.
I must disagree very strongly. Every year some school will under-recruit while some goes over, and you never know which is which. More interestingly, they don't know either until April 15 morning or so. You should make every effort to stay in the race, and thus a final push can't hurt.

I'd go with something like this:
Dear Professor Einstein,

I applied to the Astronomy graduate program at Univ. of Antarctica this year. At this point, I am wrapping up my visits to the schools that I have been accepted to so far. While I am happy with my current options, I would be extremely interested if there is a realistic chance that I could be accepted to Antarctica, and I will therefore defer accepting another offer until the admissions committee provides me with further information on my standing.

If it is okay with you, I would be keenly interested to call you sometime to answer any question that you may consider useful for the admissions committee to come to a decision about my application. If you please let me know what times would work best for you, I will be very glad to call you as it is convenient for you.

I will be eagerly awaiting your reply, and please let me know if you would need any information from me beforehand.

Sincerely,
Shouravv.