U Pittsburgh vs Florida State U

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

devil_incarnate

U Pittsburgh vs Florida State U

Post by devil_incarnate » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:08 pm

Hi!
I am an international applicant for PhD program in Physics, Fall 2009.I have been selected by the U Pittsburgh and the Florida State U.I have applied for Experimental Condensed Matter Physics and currently am confused as to which school to opt for? Can anyone help me with your suggestions please...

G01

Re: U Pittsburgh vs Florida State U

Post by G01 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:00 pm

I had two REUs at Pittsburgh in Condensed Matter Experiment. I enjoyed them both and met several of the CME professors. They have a lot of cool research going on.

I can't say much about FSU though.

devil_incarnate

Post by devil_incarnate » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:40 pm

thnx for your reply...[:)]

tiyusufaly

Post by tiyusufaly » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:41 am

Florida State is a really underrated place, and is particularly strong for condensed matter experiment. They have the National High Magnetic Field Laboratory (NHMFL) there, the largest magnet lab in the US. Scientists from all over the US and the world go there to do experiments. Check them out, they get a lot of good work and publications.

gliese876d

Post by gliese876d » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:07 pm

Hi I'm finishing my undergrad at Pitt, and I can tell you two things:

1. Where are you from? Are you used to a cold climate? Pittsburgh is very cold in the winter.

2. I hate to talk badly of professors here, but be aware that one of the condensed matter professors here is infamous for collaborating with Michael Behe in advocating intelligent design, as well as authoring a book writing a "biblical case" for and old earth . To me, these things completely undermine his credibility as a scientist, not to mention, from my limited interaction with him, he is quite sexist. Just FYI...

3. According to US News and World report, our ranking here at Pitt for graduate physics is exactly tied with FSU, but I do think there are some excellent faculty members here and the urban environment is very nice (assuming you can stand the cold winters).

HTH