Berkeley Condensed Matter

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

gumpstuck

Berkeley Condensed Matter

Post by gumpstuck » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:14 pm

So I was scouring the 2009 profile thread hoping to find a trend in the Berkeley admitted applicants so far and I found that almost all applied to HEP. Am I right to say its still early in the game for CMT/CME? Has anyone from these fields heard from them? Have I been left out of the loop? :evil:

zxcv

Re: Berkeley Condensed Matter

Post by zxcv » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:19 pm

Only the first handful of offers have gone out. I don't think they were selected by field.

Everyone who applied to Berkeley is still in the game.

BigBang

Post by BigBang » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:12 pm

zxcv wrote:Only the first handful of offers have gone out. I don't think they were selected by field.

Everyone who applied to Berkeley is still in the game.
Do you know when would the bulk of acceptances go out? Also, does Berkeley send it out in waves?

WhatCanYouDoFermi?

Post by WhatCanYouDoFermi? » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:54 pm

BigBang wrote:Do you know when would the bulk of acceptances go out? Also, does Berkeley send it out in waves?
On last year's profiles there seemed to be two big waves. The first one came at the end of the third week of Feb, just like this year, and the second came about a week later. I'm crossing my fingers for the end of this week 8)

zxcv

Post by zxcv » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:36 pm

I don't know when the rest of the acceptances will go out, but we'll start planning for the open house next week (was going to be this week but couldn't be scheduled). I'm on the recruitment committee, so if you have any tips for the open house you should pass them on.

Good luck everyone!

abeboparebop

Post by abeboparebop » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:51 pm

zxcv, do you know anything about whether Berkeley plans to pay for accepted students to fly out for the open house?

Neither Berkeley nor Santa Cruz have been very forthcoming yet in that regard, although I should have more information from both at some point later this week.

zxcv

Post by zxcv » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:02 am

Last year, Berkeley provided up to $300 for travel reimbursement. I would expect a similar amount this year, but do not hold me to that.

P.S. Last year I got my admissions offer on February 29.

gumpstuck

Post by gumpstuck » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:35 am

thanks for the inside info zxcv, much appreciated in this trying times. now if i get answers by this weekend I can finally get to planning for visiting days.

surjective

Post by surjective » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:27 pm

I also went to the Berkeley open house last year. Yeah, they only pay $300, which might not be enough for your flight. But, if you are, say, coming from the east coast, then just visit more than one school while you are out west (CalTech open house is usually right before Berkeley), and each will pay a fraction for your flight (I think CalTech paid $400 last year). So, the combination of them is more than enough.

There's a fair bit of communication between the schools - they have a good way to work it out so that your full flight gets reimbursed.

Helio

Post by Helio » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:05 pm

surjective wrote:I also went to the Berkeley open house last year. Yeah, they only pay $300, which might not be enough for your flight. But, if you are, say, coming from the east coast, then just visit more than one school while you are out west (CalTech open house is usually right before Berkeley), and each will pay a fraction for your flight (I think CalTech paid $400 last year). So, the combination of them is more than enough.

There's a fair bit of communication between the schools - they have a good way to work it out so that your full flight gets reimbursed.
stanford open house is usually right before or after the Berkeley one as well

abeboparebop

Post by abeboparebop » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:30 pm

surjective wrote:I also went to the Berkeley open house last year. Yeah, they only pay $300, which might not be enough for your flight. But, if you are, say, coming from the east coast, then just visit more than one school while you are out west (CalTech open house is usually right before Berkeley), and each will pay a fraction for your flight (I think CalTech paid $400 last year). So, the combination of them is more than enough.

But how do you get from Caltech (in your example) to Berkeley? It's a pretty serious drive and I've decided it wouldn't be practical to rent a car (under 25).

grae313

Post by grae313 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:39 pm

abeboparebop wrote:

But how do you get from Caltech (in your example) to Berkeley? It's a pretty serious drive and I've decided it wouldn't be practical to rent a car (under 25).
It's like a $60 to $100 flight. If you are visiting multiple schools on the west coast, their visit days are all next to each other. They each put in up to $300 or so, you just contact the schools, cc all the coordinators on the email, and they work it out between themselves to cover all of your transportation costs equally. Taxis, buses, plane tickets, rental cars... just email the departments, bring the receipts, and you're good.

zxcv

Post by zxcv » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:51 pm

Final admissions decisions will be out by March 15. Berkeley doesn't have a waitlist.

valentino

Post by valentino » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:48 pm

two more weeks, damn. i'm too excited.

WhatCanYouDoFermi?

Post by WhatCanYouDoFermi? » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:08 pm

zxcv or anyone else,
Do you know if Berkeley is still sending out many acceptances? Or have they basically finished for the most part?

zxcv

Post by zxcv » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:00 pm

I think most decisions have been made by now. If you haven't heard back yet, call or write Donna Sakima.

valentino

Post by valentino » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:32 pm

ah shet.. probably got rejected then. will call...

valentino

Post by valentino » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:24 pm

called donna. bye berkeley... that's the end of the season. cornell or chicago for HEP theory?

WhatCanYouDoFermi?

Post by WhatCanYouDoFermi? » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:03 pm

Damn it!
Called Donna; I "fall into the group in which you have a competitive application, but I'm afraid this year we were worried we might have too many Theory students".
Whatever...
This makes me think that they didn't evaluate us by subfield.