Do I have something in my teeth, OSU?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

dustdevil

Do I have something in my teeth, OSU?

Post by dustdevil » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:09 pm

So I'm a little worried. OSU Astronomy called me early in January (the 9thish?) just to clarify my GPA scale, and told me I had a "strong application." It's almost March now and still no word. I can't help but think I misspoke and put them off somehow. I was in a crowded airport leaving AAS so I was a bit exhausted but I don't think I was rude at all? I've seen a couple of acceptances here and there but do you guys think the first wave is over?

valkyrie

Re: Do I have something in my teeth, OSU?

Post by valkyrie » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:17 pm

dustdevil wrote: I've seen a couple of acceptances here and there but do you guys think the first wave is over?
Given that OSU Astro has the open houses this weekend and next, I would think they are done with the first round of acceptances by now.

Good luck anyways :)

dustdevil

Post by dustdevil » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:42 pm

So should I inquire about the status of my application or just wait?

gliese876d

Post by gliese876d » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:04 pm

Well, you haven't been rejected, though, so you're not out of the game (I got my OSU astronomy rejectance a while ago).

dustdevil

Post by dustdevil » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:20 pm

Do graduate school committees find that rude or pushy though? Asking about apps?

admissionprof

Post by admissionprof » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:33 pm

dustdevil wrote:Do graduate school committees find that rude or pushy though? Asking about apps?
No, I don't think they find it rude. People need to make travel arrangements and with March only a few days away, it's perfectly reasonable to ask. The answer will almost certainly be "rejected" or "no decision yet", and the latter could be the answer up until April 15th (if you're at the top of the list, they may not know until then).