What does the atmosphere and the life style at UW-Madison?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

sonwon

What does the atmosphere and the life style at UW-Madison?

Post by sonwon » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:08 am

I just want to know about the information of department and the life style at UW-Madison especially in Physics department from current student or people who used to leave there.

It would help me to my important decision.

Thanks guy.

noojens

Re: What does the atmosphere and the life style at UW-Madison?

Post by noojens » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:34 am

I can't speak much to the atmosphere within the physics department, but having lived in Madison I can address the city in general.

- It's cold for about five months out of the year. Summer weather is great though, and the transition seasons are beautiful, fall especially.

- It's a big ten college town. Great if you love football, frat boys and sorority girls. If that's not your scene, there are funkier neighborhoods - but you'll have to work to find them.

- With 50,000 students living in the campus area, real estate demand is high and so rent prices are inflated. Expect to pay $500 for a room, or $750+ for your own one-bedroom near campus.

- There are some cool state parks in the region, but it's tough to get out of the city without a car.

That's all for now - gotta run to class. Let me know if you have more specific questions.

sonwon

Post by sonwon » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:55 am

Hi noojens,

Thanks for your comments. I have other questions.
I want to know about the weather, is it too cool? Can I survive here, if I come from humid hot country? If I have to live here for the next 6 years, do you have any suggestion to have a happy life?

Is it safe for foreign student?
About housing, where is the most popular place for grad student especially for international student? How is it there?

I will ask another question later. Thanks.

I am still waiting the comments from others.

Helio

Post by Helio » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:34 pm

sonwon wrote:Hi noojens,

Thanks for your comments. I have other questions.
I want to know about the weather, is it too cool? Can I survive here, if I come from humid hot country? If I have to live here for the next 6 years, do you have any suggestion to have a happy life?

Is it safe for foreign student?
About housing, where is the most popular place for grad student especially for international student? How is it there?

I will ask another question later. Thanks.

I am still waiting the comments from others.
There is some discussion about the Open house in the open house thread, just so you know.

pqortic

what's going on in Wisconsin Madison

Post by pqortic » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:59 pm

I think committee in WM has forwarded all the incoming applications to the enrollment office. nobody is rejected.
I should regret why I have dropped it out of my apply list.

dlenmn

Post by dlenmn » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:39 pm

Weather: See the month averages here. Daily weather for 2008 and 2007 (links will only be good for a week or so). I'm not aware of any cases of graduate students from hot and humid counties failing to survive here.

Housing: The university run grad student housing is reasonably priced and reasonably nice. There's a lot of other housing in the town.

Safety: Madison is a pretty safe place. I don't think it's any less safe for foreign students.

Department Atmosphere: I'm here, so it must be good...

Way to happiness: There are many good breweries in the area...

sonwon

Post by sonwon » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:59 pm

dlenmn wrote: Way to happiness: There are many good breweries in the area...
I like this. :lol: :shock:

sonwon

Re: what's going on in Wisconsin Madison

Post by sonwon » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:02 pm

emperial wrote:I think committee in WM has forwarded all the incoming applications to the enrollment office. nobody is rejected.
How did you know that? Anyway, I felt lucky. Hee hee. :lol:

Helio

Re: what's going on in Wisconsin Madison

Post by Helio » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:32 pm

emperial wrote:I think committee in WM has forwarded all the incoming applications to the enrollment office. nobody is rejected.
huh? they can't accept everybody. I am just confused by what you mean really. There are people here who have yet to hear from them anyway... back to planning the 3 days of no sleep i am about to embark on... what a senior year

pqortic

Post by pqortic » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:49 pm

Helio wrote: huh? they can't accept everybody. I am just confused by what you mean really.
I didn't say they accept everybody but go through the 2009 profile and show me a post that has applied and has not heard. and also look at the records of accepted posts.

"I don't mean to hurt anyone. Congrats on your acceptance. just a discussion"

pd

Post by pd » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:59 pm

emperial wrote:I didn't say they accept everybody but go through the 2009 profile and show me a post that has applied and has not heard.
I fall into that category, though I don't have a post on the thread. Their online status says my application is under review.

(Sorry for continuing the hijacking.)

pqortic

Post by pqortic » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:15 pm

@pd

I hope you hear in few days, too.

Helio

Post by Helio » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:57 pm

emperial wrote:@pd

I hope you hear in few days, too.

There are 4 actually, who have updated after 1/30 and have yet to list Madison:
http://www.physicsgre.com/viewtopic.php ... 847#p15991
http://www.physicsgre.com/viewtopic.php ... =50#p16734
http://www.physicsgre.com/viewtopic.php ... =50#p16837
http://www.physicsgre.com/viewtopic.php ... =50#p18125

And if you check... there are more people with 800+ being accepted than 800- (I am one of them and another has special circumstances), but they also line up with their average PGRE score of about 800 considering it is not adjusted for internationals.

I have also emailed then about the visiting weekend (info coming on Friday or Monday) and about my financial form and both times i got positive reply. Madison seems to go with the shot gun effect because only 25 or so people enrolled last year with 400 people applying, so they might need more people

nonick

Post by nonick » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:51 pm

If you want to know more about Madison, WI:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/madison/