A plea from admissionprof

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

happymonkey

Re: A plea from admissionprof

Post by happymonkey » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:16 pm

Just a plea to all those who have offers from a place you know you won't be attending - because of better offers, or offers from better schools - please, please decline these offers for those like me who have no offers, or whose dream school you have their possible spot. I know a lot of you are waiting for financial details, but if you are sure you aren't going to attend a school that gave you an offer I beg - yes beg - you to decline asap.

thank you

not-so-hapymonkey

FNR

Post by FNR » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:43 pm

Hmmm... I've been thinking here. What would you do if you were rejected by all your first choice schools, and only got accepted at the safety schools?

For example, you applied for 10 different schools. 8 rejected you, only 2 accepted you and they are the very least of your choices (hence, the safety schools). Would you still go and accept that offers? Or would you just turn down the offer and try to apply for your top choices again next year? :roll:

I must ask this because one of my friends told me that he just wanted to 'play God' of rejecting the schools, rather than the schools rejecting him. He believed that it feels so good to reject 'something' after the top schools rejecting him. Kinda psycho, but it does happen! I only hope that only few people like him in the Real World. Besides, I knew that some of you would 'kill' to get accepted somewhere this year.... :lol:

isobelojalvo

Post by isobelojalvo » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:02 pm

FNR--
Why would he bother applying at all to those schools? He should have saved $200 and some work and only applied to schools that he would actually consider going to.

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:12 pm

FNR wrote:I must ask this because one of my friends told me that he just wanted to 'play God' of rejecting the schools, rather than the schools rejecting him. He believed that it feels so good to reject 'something' after the top schools rejecting him.
Your friend isn't the only god who derives pleasure out of rejecting schools, punishing them for their past sins of torturing applicants.
garden wrote:I keep three offers, and I will not turn any offer down untill the enrollment day! To be fair, they shopped students, and it is my turn, I am shopping a school.
RG wrote: ^^ LMAO
are you feeling good about 'shopping' shcools?
garden wrote:^^LMAO

So far so f*king good, RG! Visited schools, having lunches w/ working groups, hanging out w/ graduate students at the bars .... ha ha ha, and turning down some f*cking damn Profs!
If I were rejected by all of my favorite schools, I would decide whether I could substantially improve my record by taking a year off. Usually that's feasible if you have a weak GRE and have research opportunities available. Several students here have had success doing this. If not, I'd decide whether I'd be happy at any of the safety schools. I personally only applied to one safety school... one I would've been very satisfied with. But if you're not actually interested in them, you'd have tough decision to make.

FNR

Post by FNR » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:57 pm

isobelojalvo wrote:FNR--
Why would he bother applying at all to those schools? He should have saved $200 and some work and only applied to schools that he would actually consider going to.
One word: 'psycho'. $200 is nothing for him.... :mrgreen: