How many students from one country/one university ??

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

astromandi

How many students from one country/one university ??

Post by astromandi » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:19 am

In case of the international candidates, how many students are admitted to a particular university from one country? Is there any cuttoff on that ..as in..for example not more than 2 sudents should be from the same country?
What if more than 1 student is applying from the same institute to a particular university ??
Is it the norm than only one student would be taken from a particular institute?

admissionprof

Re: How many students from one country/one university ??

Post by admissionprof » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:25 am

astromandi wrote:In case of the international candidates, how many students are admitted to a particular university from one country? Is there any cuttoff on that ..as in..for example not more than 2 sudents should be from the same country?
What if more than 1 student is applying from the same institute to a particular university ??
Is it the norm than only one student would be taken from a particular institute?
I've never heard of such a limit, and I think it would be inappropriate. There might be a rough limit on the total number of foreign admits, but not for a single country.

astromandi

Post by astromandi » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:43 am

admissionprof wrote:
astromandi wrote:In case of the international candidates, how many students are admitted to a particular university from one country? Is there any cuttoff on that ..as in..for example not more than 2 sudents should be from the same country?
I've never heard of such a limit, and I think it would be inappropriate. There might be a rough limit on the total number of foreign admits, but not for a single country.

How about if there are multiple applications from same institute abroad??
I understand there is no official limit on that.
But generally how many students would be taken up from same institute?
Are there any instances where 2 or more than 2 students were admitted from same place???

surjective

Post by surjective » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:11 pm

I am at a top-5 physics grad school, and we definitely have, in our first-year class, several students from the same foreign institute.

So, if there is a limit (which I highly doubt), then it is pretty high. Again, I doubt that there is a limit.

naseermk

Post by naseermk » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:15 pm

Minnesota, for instance, limits admission to 20 students from China each year (out of about 200 applicants).