Quick GRE Score Question

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

dustdevil

Quick GRE Score Question

Post by dustdevil » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:20 pm

I have already submitted a few applications with my October Physics GRE score (36% :(, after one day of studying) and then called in this morning for my November score (49%, after two days of studying!), and was wondering if I should notify the departments? I sent my November scores out, but self-reported the October ones on the apps. Do they look at what you self-report or what ETS actually sends? Should I bother correcting all of the sent applications?

-dustdevil

Helio

Re: Quick GRE Score Question

Post by Helio » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:08 pm

i am some what impressed... why didn't you use the three weeks between tests to study? i mean by the amount of studying you did you would have gotten a 70% by the end.

They will see all the scores when you send out the nov test so you should be fine imo

dustdevil

Post by dustdevil » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:28 pm

Helio wrote:i am some what impressed... why didn't you use the three weeks between tests to study? i mean by the amount of studying you did you would have gotten a 70% by the end.

They will see all the scores when you send out the nov test so you should be fine imo
I know I could have done well but I have been pretty packed with schoolwork (3 graduate level physics classes and stat mech) and I've been working on my undergraduate thesis (a beast in itself, but if all goes well it's going to be pretty amazing). I felt like both of those things were much more important than a standardized test (though I know this reasoning is a bit flawed when talking about grad school apps), so I gave the PGRE about 19 hours of my time (including the test itself) and moved on. Hopefully it doesn't come back to bite me later...

cato88

Post by cato88 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:12 pm

honestly that was a big mistake because im pretty sure grad schools care more about PGRE than grad classes/thesis do unless your not applying to top 50.

dustdevil

Post by dustdevil » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:03 pm

I am an astro, and whether or not that was a mistake was not the question at hand.