Discussion of 2009 Profiles

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

secander2!

Re: Discussion of 2009 Profiles

Post by secander2! » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:43 am

Great idea trani! I'm going to update my profile right now.

I've got nothing from Harvard, Berkeley, Stanford, or Princeton. Princeton is kinda worrying me, they've got a "Track your status" thing on the application page, and it shows that my transcripts have been received but not my GRE scores. Anybody else have the same problem? Maybe I need to start making some phone calls! On the other hand, Chicago and MIT sent me a message saying my application is complete, and Cornell has a "Track your status" which shows everything as being received. I find this odd since I used the free score reporting for both Cornell and Princeton ... Cornell has received the scores but Princeton seemingly hasn't.

robertson

Post by robertson » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:00 am

Hey guys! I started a post two weeks ago with the same idea but no one replied :(

Anyhow, Harvard replied yesterday an email saying that my application was complete (send materials early Dec, send mail 02/01/09).
Stanford did the same two days ago.
Princeton is by far the laziest university of all, they got my results in late Nov, and they updated the status at the end of the year. And there is the thing about not taking the IELTS, now I wasted the money sending them the official scores and yesterday I had to pay for the TOEFL ones.
UCSD also replied an email saying that the app was complete (before New year).
MIT sent that nice mail saying that everything was alright.
Columbia and Washington have status.
Caltech only needs online app, but no idea about the GRE's.

I hope this helps

valentino

Post by valentino » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:19 am

robertson, how did you find out about stanford and ucsd?

guys, when reporting about school response kindly indicate the date! thanks

jan 11
called uiuc they said they lacked my transcript.

jan 14
cornell - emailed telling me to look at status (which i have been aware of) lacking toefl and transcript.
chicago - emailed to tell me about missing toefl

jan 15
columbia - just checked now, and it says on the status that they don't have my transcript yet. what to do - wait for email or email them?

robertson

Post by robertson » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:11 am

See the other thread, and please copy your information. It will be easier.

hassan12345

Post by hassan12345 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:14 am

Hi
my profile is:
pgre:820
gpa:3.3
publication:2 paper in credible journal
conference:2 poster-1 presentation
lab exp: 2 years
teaching exp: 3 years
i am from iran.
can i apply to top 10 physics in solid state physics such as mit harvard berkely stanford and so on?which top univs i have a good chance for apply?

bronco199

Post by bronco199 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:54 am

Unfortunately- the answer is no. All the deadlines have already passed - unless you're talking about next year.
You will be expected to have much higher pgre score being international - especially since your GPA is low.

trani

Post by trani » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:30 pm

Well, well, it's started

Congratulations tmc! :D

And scallions too. Awesome :D :D

secander2!

Post by secander2! » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:58 pm

HURRAY for scallions, tmc, and valkyrie!!!

@scallions, I'm very glad that Rutgers came through for you! Now you can stop worrying and enjoy!

I'm not sure whether to curse or bless weekends... however, it at least prevents me from compulsively checking the mail box.

excel

Post by excel » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:07 pm

@hassan: You should try to apply to programs that have professors from iran (or other nearby countries) who would be familiar with the iranian education system. Typically, in cases like yours, most admission committees would have difficulty in evaluating components of your application like Iranian gpa & transcript. So, if a faculty member is familiar with the system, they would take your application to him. I happen to know that happened in a top-5 mechanical engineering department a couple of years back, and the student was admitted--though he would have been rejected otherwise.

By the way, given that you are an international student, a higher PGRE would help--as bronco said.

trani

Post by trani » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:16 pm

@secander2!

lol, my email gets checked automatically every 5 min so that I don't have to bother :D

mhazelm

Post by mhazelm » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:10 pm

well, I posted my GRE scores on my profile, so you can all laugh at me now!

Feeling bad? Worrying about admissions? just look at my scores and you'll feel great! See, I knew I had a purpose: to make it easier for everyone else to get in!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

My scores are, yes, a joke (math major with 65% on QGRE??? now THAT's anxiety!!!) But if I don't get in, I've got a much less demanding year ahead (3 classes is full time for Masters! I'm taking 6 classes right now!!) and time to study to retake both.

Obviously my QRE was a fluke. So I can redo that... so. I'm just trying NOT to worry. And if I can make all of you worry less in the process, then hooray!

Congrats to those who are doing well this year!!

Helio

Post by Helio » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:45 pm

I dunno why people expect stanford to tell them.... their email clearly states that they won't contact you unless something is missing. same for UCLA btw

Stanford:

We received your applicaion for admission to the Stanford Physics Ph.D. program on 12/10/2008 4:03:00 AM.

At this time the admissions staff is processing supplementary materials for all applicants. Please do not contact our office inquiring about receipt of your documentation, as this only serves to slow down the collation process.

If any supplementary materials or official test scores are missing from your file a staff member will contact you. Admissions decisions will be made by March 1, 2009.

Thank you for applying. I appreciate your interest in our program.

Sincerely,

Maria Frank
Student Services Officer

UCLA:

Greetings Applicant:

You are receiving this message because we have received your online application for graduate admissions for Fall 2009 for UCLA's Physics or Astronomy PhD Program.

Please note that due to a high volume of applications we are unable to respond to your phone and e-mail inquiries about your application status. Consider this your confirmation that we have received the online application and we are making every effort to organize the rest of your application materials for committee review.

*PLEASE NOTE: IF THERE IS SOMETHING MISSING FROM YOUR APPLICATION WE WILL CONTACT YOU VIA E-MAIL. DO NOT CONTACT US TO CHECK YOUR APPLICATION STATUS.*

Our department does NOT utilize the “Check Application Status” module on the Graduate Division website. We do not post comments and do not update information on this website.

Be sure that your e-mail address is accurate on your online application. You can update your e-mail address from the Graduate Division Website, Select Step 3: Review & Notification "Update your Email Address". http://www.gdnet.ucla.edu/gasaa/admissions/applicat.htm

Also make sure that your e-mail server will accept e-mails from jlee@physics.ucla.edu, finn@physics.ucla.edu and apply@physics.ucla.edu

Respectfully Submitted,

Graduate Student Services Staff

*Sometimes, no news is good news. . . .

Note - Our offices will be closed on December 24 through January 1 for the holidays.

Student Affairs Officer

Graduate Student Services

UCLA Department of Physics and Astronomy
1-707B Physics & Astronomy Building (PAB)

mailcode: 154705
(310) 825-2307 Phone
(310) 825-2104 Fax

jlee@physics.ucla.edu
http://www.physics.ucla.edu

Ren

Post by Ren » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:06 pm

I remember reading posts from last year's applicants waiting to hear from programs. Can't believe it's my time already.
I'm not that worry at this point. Maybe I will be if it's march and I still don't get any acceptance. Hopefully that won't happen.

guess I'm not gonna check my mail box for several days since it's -15 degree outside :shock:
I just want to skip all my classes and stay in my warm bed.

cato88

Post by cato88 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:16 pm

laladida should just put she goes to Berkeley what other school could possibly fit the top 5 in physics that is also public.

trani

Post by trani » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:23 pm

@cato88

the point of the question is to classify your school, not name it. For someone that doesn't know what Berkeley is or its reputation her reply has more value. For those of us who know about Berkeley its obvious so....

@a13ean

Haha also top 5 public. Coincidink :D Anyhow, Congratulations! Why the question mark though?

laladida

Post by laladida » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:17 pm

Or you could just look at my profile, it says it there.
Just trying to follow the format of those above me...

secander2!

Post by secander2! » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:03 am

@trani, that's a good idea, I end up checking my gmail account manually every few seconds. I was more referring to snail mail though, it's a pain to walk through the snow to check the mailbox!!! Maybe I should develop a video camera which monitors movement in the mailbox and calls my cell-phone when something happens :D

Helio

Post by Helio » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:42 pm

iphone or blackberry would be practical at this point in time.... start dancing in class when you get in :P

metric

Post by metric » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:50 pm

It's probably too late by now, but can anyone comment on my profile? I know my pros but my cons are starting to make me feel worried: I've been invited but I've learned that there are over 450 applications to UWisc this year. Do you think my QGRE could hurt? what about my GPA? leave alone the fact that I'm an international student with engineering background! Should I have applied to other schools? Is UWisc a reach for me? What's my name? WHAT AM I????!!! :D Thanks for the feedback.

Helio

Post by Helio » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:27 pm

well what is 50 more than last year.... ohh well we will see what happens.... i am guessing am already rejected...

metric

Post by metric » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:54 pm

Helio, I hope you do well. Apparently not many people is interested in exp astropart physics and I hope that that will work out for us! :D

Helio

Post by Helio » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:49 pm

metric are you applying for icecube or the heeger (has some astroparticle) group? Because heeger has cuore and i would prefer to work one that one cause i can go home (germany) more often because the experiment is in italy and i worked on another double beta decay experiment that is housed in cavern next door to it.... but if they are only looking for one person at icecube and heeger they will pick you i am sure of that

metric

Post by metric » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:07 am

Hey Helio, I'm applying for icecube or maybe one future TeV gamma ray observatory in which the faculty is starting to get involved in.
The professor that I know told me that (if accepted) I will work in the gamma ray obs or/and icecube only, so there's no chance that they'll pick just one to work with Heeger and IceCube at the same time. If you look at the people working with Heeger, all of them (except for one) are involved in neutrino mixing or double beta and none in astroparticles.
Needless to say, if you already have experience in neutrinoless double beta I'm sure they'll pick you for the Heeger group. On the other hand, if you need an experiment close to your home town and you're interested in neutrino mass measurements, probably the UW is the best option, they're involved in KATRIN which is going to be a very good experiment, I know a lot of people from Karlsruhe (from FZK and KIT) involved in it, they're really respected in the field. The best of luck to you helio!.

doohan

Post by doohan » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:15 pm

You that have heard from U Wash already -- when did you apply? The deadline was 1/15, but I see some have heard back around that date. Did you submit your application a fair amount of time before the deadline, or were they quick to accept you?

metric

Post by metric » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:24 pm

Mmm... Hi doohan, I'm not sure if you're asking Helio or me, if it's me I have only applied to Wisconsin and I know nothing about U Wash. sorry!

Ren

Post by Ren » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:31 pm

There were several acceptances from UW already. One in Earth and Space Science, which is not the same department as astronomy. The astronomy deadline was 12/31 :( ,still no admission offers as far as i know.
I want to hear the answer to doohan's quesiton too.

Helio

Post by Helio » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:34 pm

metric wrote:Hey Helio, I'm applying for icecube or maybe one future TeV gamma ray observatory in which the faculty is starting to get involved in.
The professor that I know told me that (if accepted) I will work in the gamma ray obs or/and icecube only, so there's no chance that they'll pick just one to work with Heeger and IceCube at the same time. If you look at the people working with Heeger, all of them (except for one) are involved in neutrino mixing or double beta and none in astroparticles.
Needless to say, if you already have experience in neutrinoless double beta I'm sure they'll pick you for the Heeger group. On the other hand, if you need an experiment close to your home town and you're interested in neutrino mass measurements, probably the UW is the best option, they're involved in KATRIN which is going to be a very good experiment, I know a lot of people from Karlsruhe (from FZK and KIT) involved in it, they're really respected in the field. The best of luck to you helio!.
i applied to uwash too because of KATRIN.... I am pissed at them actually because they have had my complete application for over 2 months now with no word. The problem is that they are mostly working on the DAQ and I am more the data analyzes kind of guy. I think my advantage is that I have worked with a group that has collaborated with UWash on their next experiment... I just don't know how good their recommendation is... On another note ss ground based x-ray or is a cherenkov telescope?

Good luck to you too

metric

Post by metric » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:54 pm

The experiment I was talking about it's called HAWC, it's a water cherenkov gamma ray observatory, the collaboration it's American-Mexican and it's lead by John Goodman (U of Maryland.) It's the next step after MILAGRO that operated in Los Alamos and detected several extended sources. The UWisc is not officially involved yet but I've heard that several faculty members have shown interest and I think it's cool.
About KATRIN: yep, sometimes working on DAQ software sucks and blows if the only thing that you do is to track bugs or avoid everything from crashing by patching the code every 2 days, but at the same time is rewarding to see when the experiment runs smoothly thanks to the changes that you have done, I've worked for a couple of years already on DAQ trying to help the principal developers (by the way, from FZK) and you get to know a lot about programming that will help you in the analyses of data. The DAQ could be a good thing to do while you wait for the data, which I've been told won't start coming out until 2012 when they finish producing all the tritium they need.

Helio

Post by Helio » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:32 pm

metric wrote:The experiment I was talking about it's called HAWC, it's a water cherenkov gamma ray observatory, the collaboration it's American-Mexican and it's lead by John Goodman (U of Maryland.) It's the next step after MILAGRO that operated in Los Alamos and detected several extended sources. The UWisc is not officially involved yet but I've heard that several faculty members have shown interest and I think it's cool.
About KATRIN: yep, sometimes working on DAQ software sucks and blows if the only thing that you do is to track bugs or avoid everything from crashing by patching the code every 2 days, but at the same time is rewarding to see when the experiment runs smoothly thanks to the changes that you have done, I've worked for a couple of years already on DAQ trying to help the principal developers (by the way, from FZK) and you get to know a lot about programming that will help you in the analyses of data. The DAQ could be a good thing to do while you wait for the data, which I've been told won't start coming out until 2012 when they finish producing all the tritium they need.
Isn't that the experiment with the 747? I am prefer the MAGIC way of doing cherenkov observation... seems a bit more observatory like... :P

Well i worked mostly on background for detectors so far and I had a lot of trouble with the commercially available DAQ (crashes, pounding on the computer for no reason etc.), it might be better to do it yourself, I am just not sure they will get it in time. I have heard from one of the post-docs at the double beta group about another particle physics experiment doing their oqn DAQ and it taking 3 post-docs 3 years and it still not working right... But in general i am banking on the Majorana experiment to be approved, so I can work on that because that is a similar setup I have worked on

Anyhow.... I am somehow getting the feeling that my chances of getting in anywhere are close to 0

laladida

Post by laladida » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:15 pm

doohan wrote:You that have heard from U Wash already -- when did you apply? The deadline was 1/15, but I see some have heard back around that date. Did you submit your application a fair amount of time before the deadline, or were they quick to accept you?
I submitted my application on 1/2. My transcript did not arrive at UW until 1/12, and my last recommendation was not submitted until noonish 1/16. I received my acceptance email about 5 hours later. I haven't the slightest clue why they got back to me so quickly.

Helio

Post by Helio » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:34 pm

laladida wrote:
doohan wrote:You that have heard from U Wash already -- when did you apply? The deadline was 1/15, but I see some have heard back around that date. Did you submit your application a fair amount of time before the deadline, or were they quick to accept you?
I submitted my application on 1/2. My transcript did not arrive at UW until 1/12, and my last recommendation was not submitted until noonish 1/16. I received my acceptance email about 5 hours later. I haven't the slightest clue why they got back to me so quickly.
first of all congrats

I am guessing it is the physics ed thing that it is basically.... uhh somebody applied here... we rally all 4 faculty and take apart the app... ohh well we will take her or something along those lines

secander2!

Post by secander2! » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:25 am

Helio wrote:uhh somebody applied here... we rally all 4 faculty and take apart the app...
:lol: :lol: :lol: True or not... that's a hilarious image!!! But I can imagine that with a profile like laladida's, it wouldn't take much reviewing to decide to accept. The one "weakness" is the lack of research, but for Physics Education, that's not a problem at all. Anyways, @laladida, congrats!!! That's really awesome to have one in the hole already!!!

Helio

Post by Helio » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:37 pm

secander2! wrote:
Helio wrote:uhh somebody applied here... we rally all 4 faculty and take apart the app...
:lol: :lol: :lol: True or not... that's a hilarious image!!! But I can imagine that with a profile like laladida's, it wouldn't take much reviewing to decide to accept. The one "weakness" is the lack of research, but for Physics Education, that's not a problem at all. Anyways, @laladida, congrats!!! That's really awesome to have one in the hole already!!!
just a joke, but maybe 4 people just flipped a coin and they all landed on the accepted side... it seems like grad schools admissions is like that sometimes....

So i send out 5 emails on friday morning and no reply so far, most of my apps have been lying around departments for over a month a no word so far... will these secretaries stop going on vacation or something

metric

Post by metric » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:30 pm

Helio wrote: Isn't that the experiment with the 747? I am prefer the MAGIC way of doing cherenkov observation... seems a bit more observatory like... :P
I think you may be referring to the SOFIA IR experiment. Although I would have to admit that MAGIC is more elegant, HAWC it's made of a bunch of water tanks in a Mexican mountain, that's sound like an observatory to me, doesn't it? As a preview, a video that I found of the "deployment" of one R&D tank http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw01HmKLvko ah, expertimental astrophysics.... :D
Last edited by metric on Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Helio

Post by Helio » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:34 pm

metric wrote:
Helio wrote: Isn't that the experiment with the 747? I am prefer the MAGIC way of doing cherenkov observation... seems a bit more observatory like... :P
Although I would have to admit that MAGIC is more elegant, HAWC it's made of a bunch of water tanks in a Mexican mountain, that's sound like an observatory to me, doesn't it? As a preview, a video that I found of the "deployment" of one R&D tank http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw01HmKLvko ah, expertimental astrophysics.... :D
:lol: :lol: special aren't we.... Anyway I just got accepted to UT-Austin for astronomy *Dances around the room*
Last edited by Helio on Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

metric

Post by metric » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:47 pm

Congratulations Helio! I got an off-the-records acceptance from UWisc yesterday, I'm waiting for official news although I yesterday went out to celebrate :D

Helio

Post by Helio » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:48 pm

metric wrote:Congratulations Helio! I got an off-the-records acceptance from UWisc yesterday, I'm waiting for official news although I yesterday went out to celebrate :D
Congrats to you as well

i think you will have to wait for that one for a while cause most people's wast post-marked 02/05 last year...

Ren

Post by Ren » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:28 pm

Helio wrote:
:lol: :lol: special aren't.... Anyway I just got accepted to UT-Austin for astronomy *Dances around the room*
Helio, congrats !! :D
that's a great start.

now I'm gonna get more nervous

Spark

Post by Spark » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:49 pm

Helio wrote:
metric wrote:Congratulations Helio! I got an off-the-records acceptance from UWisc yesterday, I'm waiting for official news although I yesterday went out to celebrate :D
Congrats to you as well

i think you will have to wait for that one for a while cause most people's wast post-marked 02/05 last year...
Congrats to both of you!!!

So now it begins....

Helio

Post by Helio » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:59 pm

metric wrote:
I think you may be referring to the SOFIA IR experiment. Although I would have to admit that MAGIC is more elegant, HAWC it's made of a bunch of water tanks in a Mexican mountain, that's sound like an observatory to me, doesn't it? As a preview, a video that I found of the "deployment" of one R&D tank http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw01HmKLvko ah, expertimental astrophysics.... :D
btw that is a nice water tank.... until it crushes someone.... :P

valentino

Post by valentino » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:41 pm

I recently got a $4000 grant, with a $1000 cash bonus from a government institution based award. As this might add to my application credentials, is there still window for me to update my file? Heard of any such cases? Thanks guys.

nathan12343

Post by nathan12343 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:59 pm

Valentino - yes, contact the graduate program assistants at the schools your applying to.

Helio

Post by Helio » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:15 pm

nathan12343 wrote:Valentino - yes, contact the graduate program assistants at the schools your applying to.
i second

UWisc send me a separate email saying they want the info, so either forward the email you got or scan the letter and send it to them

karan

Post by karan » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:42 am

Hi guys...I just posted my profile on the 2009 profile thread...can some people just look at it and tell me how are my chances :roll:

Helio

Post by Helio » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:49 pm

karan wrote:Hi guys...I just posted my profile on the 2009 profile thread...can some people just look at it and tell me how are my chances :roll:
I think you have a good chance at Stony Brook, PSU, Brown and UCSD... the rest are all a shot in the dark esp. in HEP theory because of names likes David Gross (UCSB)... considering your PGRE score and your major you have pretty good chances

Excalibur1986

Post by Excalibur1986 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:54 pm

I'm going to graduate school!!! UC-Riverside just accepted me. What a relief!

valentino

Post by valentino » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:36 pm

if helio's right about karan's chances, then i was too ambitious with school choice. hopefully helio's wrong.

metric

Post by metric » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:46 pm

Valentino, I hope you're not kidding. If you don't get into one of the schools you have applied to, then I have no idea what admission committees want. I'm sure you'll get an offer from at least one of those schools, although I'm far far far from the theory world. Good luck!

Helio

Post by Helio » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:26 pm

valentino wrote:if helio's right about karan's chances, then i was too ambitious with school choice. hopefully helio's wrong.
Well in karan's case i was also considering the fact that he is india and a engineer, which means that they are a ton of more applicants from that country, so it is harder to get into and admissions people know what these people are capable of. In your case you have a higher PGRE and you have to realize that you are not from india or china, which means they most probably know less about the system and are willing to accepted that you might know less than chinese or indian students, so the PGRE score looks even better. It is a country by country bases when it comes to international admissions

karan

Post by karan » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:01 pm

Well I am just happy to get into any one of my choices...just want to get hep th somewhere...ans as helio pointed out correctly my being engineer does have some role to play I guess...although I am doing my master's thesis in physics...and have a couple of first author publications as well :shock: