Physics Graduate School Admissions (Continued)

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

JennyL867

Waitlist Movement?

Post by JennyL867 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:59 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm new to this forum...my fiance is actually the one applying to physics graduate school. I've been accepted to Johns Hopkins Med School, and my fiance has been waitlisted at Hopkins. Does anyone know how many students are usually accepted off the waitlist, and when this movement may start to occur? Also, can you stay on a waitlist after April 15, or will they have to either accept or reject him before April 15? For med school, you have to accept only one school by the deadline, but you can stay on as many waitlists as you want...I'm not sure how it works for grad school.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

bluefire

Textbook equivalency

Post by bluefire » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:45 pm

Does anyone know if Griffiths Introduction to Electrodynamics is equivalent to Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics? Is Goldstein's Classical Mechanics equivalent to Fetter's Theoretical Mechanics of Particles and Continua?

mgeller44

Post by mgeller44 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:44 am

So for all of you who are in...I haven't applied yet, but will be applying this year for Fall 2007. 3.5 GPA at top 25 school, very good general GREs (800 math), but im pretty worried about the Physics GRE...I am thinking 600s/700s, the things I have had classes in are fine, but I was a studio art major as well so didnt get a lot of topics covered. I have a lot of good research, 3 papers published, not primary author though, and no REUs but all ivy league internships and recommendations. Whats a good backup? What should I shoot for? How many schools is too many to apply to? Anything or advice any of you have would be awesome!

yosofun

Post by yosofun » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:34 pm

good job to everyone who got in somewhere! :)
have fun deciding where to go!

bluefire

Post by bluefire » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:52 pm

CONGRATULATIONS, ALL!!!!!!! I concur with yosufun. :D