Some Thoughts on Late Decisions from Schools

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

Nightzeit

Some Thoughts on Late Decisions from Schools

Post by Nightzeit » Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:16 pm

I feel like a lot of schools are later than usual to send out decisions this year. I've heard several schools in California have PhD student union strikes, which have impacted this by having an uncertain budget, and I am not sure if this creates a small chain reaction where students who are awaiting decisions from those schools then in turn have delayed responses to offers at other schools, slowing down other schools waitlist decisions. I also think there is a large number of applications this year and that this has also slowed things down.

I personally am still waiting on 4/9 of the places I applied to to get back to me. I have not been waitlisted, either. I expect rejection from all or most. Some of these schools, however, I am almost certain I will be rejected from, so I can't imagine what the delay is with those schools.

priyashmistry

Re: Some Thoughts on Late Decisions from Schools

Post by priyashmistry » Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:58 pm

Anyone here or anyone knows someone who applied for a Ph.D. in Physics at the University of New Mexico for the field of research particularly in Exoplanets?

If you received acceptance and you are not going to UNM then please inform them ASAP, it will be helpful like me who is waitlisted. Also, this is the last and only university left in which there are chances of getting admission. So it's a kind request to anyone related to this.