Suggestions for SOP for HEP-ex program

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

fdiwol

Suggestions for SOP for HEP-ex program

Post by fdiwol » Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:35 am

I'm working on my SOP for my graduate school application. Specifically, I want to study collider physics and involve in LHC, so I apply to schools with active ATLAS/CMS/e.t.c groups.
But I found it hard to elaborate why this school is a great fit for me, or why I want to work with a certain professor(which is obviously very important to SOP), rather than repeat "because your program has a large group that participates in ATLAS experiment, so I want to work with Prof xxx, who is in the experiment".
To rephrase: ATLAS/CMS experiments are a collaboration of multiple institutions, so I don't know how to emphasize why I choose this school's ATLAS group, not others'. Any suggestions? :cry:

CosmicSans

Re: Suggestions for SOP for HEP-ex program

Post by CosmicSans » Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:21 am

Most Professors/Research Groups will have a webpage where they mention in which part they contributed the most. Perhabs it would be better if you focus on a more specific theme (ex: higgs boson, dark matter, quarks) and mention that alongside your general interst to collider physics.