zero responses from professors

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

THEPenjoyer

zero responses from professors

Post by THEPenjoyer » Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:57 am

Hey guys how's graduate school application going so far?

I had sent out bunch of emails to ask professors yesterday. However, till this point I've not received any response from the professors. Is it the wrong month to send out grad student inquiries? How long should I wait for their responses? Is it good to resend the same email to them? Any feedbacks would be appreciated. Thanks! :D

geekusprimus

Re: zero responses from professors

Post by geekusprimus » Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:17 am

1. Yesterday was a holiday in the US. 99% of professors probably didn't see your email, let alone read it and respond to it. And based on when you sent this, more than half of professors in the US weren't even in their offices yet, so the odds are good that they still hadn't seen it.
2. It's been one day. Give it at least a week. Professors are busy people. In addition to their research, they have classes to teach, students to oversee, proposals to write, administrative responsibilities, etc. It may take some of them a few days. It may take others longer. Some of them may never respond.

THEPenjoyer

Re: zero responses from professors

Post by THEPenjoyer » Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:00 pm

geekusprimus wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:17 am
1. Yesterday was a holiday in the US. 99% of professors probably didn't see your email, let alone read it and respond to it. And based on when you sent this, more than half of professors in the US weren't even in their offices yet, so the odds are good that they still hadn't seen it.
2. It's been one day. Give it at least a week. Professors are busy people. In addition to their research, they have classes to teach, students to oversee, proposals to write, administrative responsibilities, etc. It may take some of them a few days. It may take others longer. Some of them may never respond.
Hey geekusprimus I appreciate your response. I'll be more patient about this. Hopefully they will give some feedback after a week!