Has anyone been accepted to PSI start program or awarded internship opportunity yet?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

Bababeluma

Has anyone been accepted to PSI start program or awarded internship opportunity yet?

Post by Bababeluma » Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:22 pm

PI said that the selection would be made by the end of February. Now hitting the deadline, they still haven’t sent me email on acceptance or rejection. On their application website, my material is still ‘in review’. I’m really confused. :shock:

centarsirius

Re: Has anyone been accepted to PSI start program or awarded internship opportunity yet?

Post by centarsirius » Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:59 pm

you contacted a PI at PSI? I thought since it's a 1 year masters prog, there's no point contacting PI. Some people's status shows complete for both PSI and intern (like me) and some are still in review. So what I think is those whose profile shows completed and got a mail are accepted, those who didnt get a mail are rejected and those still 'in review' are waitlisted, but that's just what I think, idk exactly. I have seen 2 acc on GC so far

Bababeluma

Re: Has anyone been accepted to PSI start program or awarded internship opportunity yet?

Post by Bababeluma » Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:59 pm

centarsirius wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:59 pm
you contacted a PI at PSI? I thought since it's a 1 year masters prog, there's no point contacting PI. Some people's status shows complete for both PSI and intern (like me) and some are still in review. So what I think is those whose profile shows completed and got a mail are accepted, those who didnt get a mail are rejected and those still 'in review' are waitlisted, but that's just what I think, idk exactly. I have seen 2 acc on GC so far
I reckon we’re not talking about the same thing here. I'm a third year student and 2023 fall applicant. PSI start program aims at potential applicant in 2023 fall.

centarsirius

Post by centarsirius » Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:52 am

Not really for 2023 applicants, I have applied to both PSI and PSI Start. Start provides you experience and projects without a degree which could be treated like RA before applying for grad programs next year. But yes, I thought you were talking about PSI and not Start, anyway, how did you get in touch with a PI?

Bababeluma

Post by Bababeluma » Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:35 am

centarsirius wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:52 am
Not really for 2023 applicants, I have applied to both PSI and PSI Start. Start provides you experience and projects without a degree which could be treated like RA before applying for grad programs next year. But yes, I thought you were talking about PSI and not Start, anyway, how did you get in touch with a PI?
I understand the difference between PSI and PSI Start. I am a 2023 fall applicant and i only applied for PSI start. I guess you are a senior, so applying for PSI Start makes sense if you aren't planning to enroll as phd this year. Have you been accepted by PSI START ? Mine is still in review. You can contact PI by email.

centarsirius

Post by centarsirius » Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:06 pm

Ig you have researched more about the program, I didn't mail any PI. But both my applications show 'completed', it changed from 'in review' to completed about a week-10 days ago

Bababeluma

Post by Bababeluma » Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:20 pm

centarsirius wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:06 pm
Ig you have researched more about the program, I didn't mail any PI. But both my applications show 'completed', it changed from 'in review' to completed about a week-10 days ago
Thank you so much. Congrats on your acceptance.It looks like I’m completely rejected, even by the online school.

centarsirius

Post by centarsirius » Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:29 pm

no no no, I wish I was accepted, but going from 'in review' to 'completed' means nothing about acceptance. These 2 GC posts give a bit more explanation https://www.thegradcafe.com/result/844414 and https://www.thegradcafe.com/result/846376

Bababeluma

Post by Bababeluma » Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:40 pm

centarsirius wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:29 pm
no no no, I wish I was accepted, but going from 'in review' to 'completed' means nothing about acceptance. These 2 GC posts give a bit more explanation https://www.thegradcafe.com/result/844414 and https://www.thegradcafe.com/result/846376
Thanks for sharing. I guess I’m tired of PI website equivocation. It would feel better to be informed rejected. I submitted my material hitting deadline.Now I fear that my application is completely omitted. Completed is somehow more reassuring. Let’s wait for updates