Physics Masters Programs in Europe

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

flut34

Physics Masters Programs in Europe

Post by flut34 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:00 am

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=181959#p256861
burnbadd wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:01 pm
I am only in the final year of my 3-year undergrad degree, unlike most of the applicants from Europe that are doing their 1-year (fourth year) Masters. Have only one research experience, and it is not related to the field that I am applying to (Quantum Computing)
Physics master programs in Europe are two years. Only a small amount of them are one year e.g. some in the UK or Spain.

welcome_green

Re: 2022 Applicant Profile and Admission Results

Post by welcome_green » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:09 pm

flut34 wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:00 am
burnbadd wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:01 pm
I am only in the final year of my 3-year undergrad degree, unlike most of the applicants from Europe that are doing their 1-year (fourth year) Masters. Have only one research experience, and it is not related to the field that I am applying to (Quantum Computing)
Physics master programs in Europe are two years. Only a small amount of them are one year e.g. some in the UK or Spain.
Well, also some in Germany switch to the 4-1-system now (mine for example)! I think more and more universities assimilate to the US system in that regard :?:

flut34

Re: 2022 Applicant Profile and Admission Results

Post by flut34 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:00 am

welcome_green wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:09 pm

Well, also some in Germany switch to the 4-1-system now (mine for example)! I think more and more universities assimilate to the US system in that regard :?:
You write "some" but I don't know of any in Germany except for Tübingen. Even then, if one or two programs change, I can write with certainty that a high majority of universities in Germany will not change to 4+1. Even the Tübingen system isn't even that good. Schools with the 3+2 are much more theoretical and technical. Source: I studied at three different universities in Germany.