Information regarding switching to Physics from Engineering

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

ARoyC

Information regarding switching to Physics from Engineering

Post by ARoyC » Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:10 am

Hello everyone.

This is Annwoy Roy Choudhury from Kolkata, India. This year I have cleared IIT-JEE and taken admission to the Indian Institute of Petroleum and Energy, Visakhapatnam Chemical Engineering which is under the mentorship of the Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur. Even though I am mainly interested in Physics, I had to pursue Engineering. It is very difficult and risky to pursue Physics in India, especially from a weak financial background. So in the future, I have a strong urge to switch to Physics, maybe abroad.

Could you please tell me if it is truly possible or not? If possible, I would be grateful to you if you could help me out in forging my path for this journey.

I have thought of studying Physics and Advanced Mathematics on my own from books like Taylor, Morin and Griffith and Resnick and through online courses from Coursera or MIT OpenCourseWare. What else should I do? From where and how can I do some research internships in Physics? And how to get involved in research projects of CERN or other international research institutes? How should I prepare myself for GRE Physics and Mathematics? Would it really help me?

I am really a bit lost in these questions.

Sincere regards

Annwoy Roy Choudhury

cabzx

Re: Information regarding switching to Physics from Engineering

Post by cabzx » Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:01 am

Try to get a two years masters in physics or applied physics, get a researcher to help you churn a couple of publications and you should be fine.