PhD in physics

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

Anar

PhD in physics

Post by Anar » Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:16 am

Hello folks
I'm planing to apply for the fall semester of 2022 PhD in physics but I have some questions.
I'm a master student at Istanbul University Department of High Energy and Plasma Physics with a GPA of 3.94. My bachelor degree was Mathematics with a GPA of 3.09 and I studied undergraduate physics preparation course before my master with a GPA of 3.76.Also, I came to the University of Valencia, Spain to do master research with the erasmus exchange program for one semester from September to January. Now I’m doing my master thesis research here.

During my master studies I didn't take core courses in physics like QM, classical mechanics, EM, thermodynamics instead of these courses I had taken these classes:
1)Quantum Mechanics(one semester)
2)the theories of relativity (special and general)
3)Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics
4)elementary particles
5)Advanced statistical methods in physics
6)quantum chaos
7)cosmology
8)general relativity
9)quantum field theory
10)group theory
Are these enough or I had to the required courses? Which GPA is more important for PhD undergraduate or master? I have hesitation about the courses that I didn't take

neutrinos

Re: PhD in physics

Post by neutrinos » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:32 am

Your masters GPA will be more important in terms of GPA. As for classes, in my experience it usually does not matter in terms of what you take in your masters degree because you will still have to pass the qualifier exam (usually on the topics QM, EM, classical and statistical/thermo). Some universities use core classes as a way to review and help students prepare for the qualifier and some allow students to take these core classes in replacement of the qualifier. Usually as a student with an incoming masters, you will have the opportunity to take the qualifier right away, but based on the classes you've taken during your masters, you may want to take a course or two of the core classes to prep for the qualifier.

I know this is kinda vague advice, but every school has a different set of rules for advancing to candidacy and the qualifying exam, so I would look into schools that you think would support your specific situation.

Anar

Post by Anar » Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:52 pm

I mailed several universities and got different answers. Thank you for your clarification. May I know when I have to pass qualifier exam?

occamsshaver12

Post by occamsshaver12 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:19 pm

You don't have to worry about qualifiers right now, that comes after you are admitted to a PhD program. That is usually with the first few weeks after the classes start.