2022 Applicant Profile and Admission Results

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

thinhbia2

2022 Applicant Profile and Admission Results

Post by thinhbia2 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:41 am

This is the most useful resource PhysicsGRE has to offer. If you have used this information in the past or are currently using it to help decide upon schools, I highly suggest you help out and post your own profile once you have applied to schools. Future members of this forum will find it very useful! Don't be shy!

Copy and paste the template below in your reply to keep the formatting.

Note from moderator: Profile threads are best when they only have profiles. Please avoid making other posts on this thread. If you wish to discuss profiles, it is helpful to have a separate "profile discussion thread", as was done in some past years. Thanks.

GPA in Major:
Overall GPA:
Length of Degree: (Are you graduating after 3, 4, or 5 years?)
Position in Class: (No numbers needed, but are you top? near top? average? struggling?)
Type of Student: (Domestic/International, male/female, minority?)

GRE Scores: NO GRE REQUIRED FOR THIS YEAR (WE ALL KNOW WHAT HAPPENED). However, if you have the scores, you might just post them here.

TOEFL: (R: , L: , S: , W: )

Research Experience: (At your school or elsewhere? What field? How much time? Any publications (Mth author out of N?) or conference talks etc...)

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: (Within your school or outside?)

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: (Such as tutor, TA, SPS officer etc...)

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

Special Bonus Points: (Such as connections, grad classes, famous recommenders, female or minority status etc...)

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

Applying to Where:

School - Department - Research Interest Feb. 28: (WILL ATTEND for Ph.D. Accepted via website/email + $Xk Fellowship + $XXk/X month TA)
School - Department - Research Interest (Feb. 14: ACCEPTED for Ph.D via website/email + $Xk Fellowship + $XXk/X month TA)
School - Department - Research Interest (Feb. 23: Rejected via website/email)
Last edited by quizivex on Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Un-stickied this 2022 profile thread to reduce clutter. Added a link to the 2022 thread in the profile thread link compilation post.

revelent

Re: 2022 Applicant Profile and Admission Results

Post by revelent » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:27 pm

Undergrad Institution: Top US Public School, great physics reputation
Major(s): Astrophysics
GPA in Major: 3.892
Overall GPA: 3.874
Length of Degree: 4 yrs
Position in Class: idk we don't have it
Type of Student: domestic male

GRE Scores: didn't take it

Research Experience:
I've been doing astronomy research at my school directly under a recent physics Nobel laureate for a bit over a year. I mainly use python and do data analysis/simulations. Not published yet, but will get my name on a paper or two at some point due to significant contributions.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions:
just Dean's honors list

Pertinent Activities or Jobs:
I have held an administrative/leadership role at a summer camp for 1 summer and worked there for 4 years, I have tutored elementary school math for 4 years, and I held a board position on a club sports team for 1 year

Special Bonus Points:
One of my letters is coming from my research advisor, who is a Nobel laureate. He has a very good opinion of me and has helped me out a lot, so I expect a VERY strong letter from him [UPDATE he told me that he was very proud of his letter, so it looks like it is a great one]. One of my other recommenders did a post-doc at Northwestern in the field I am applying for and has good connections there. I also have a connection to the Princeton graduate program director.

I was suspended for 1 quarter at my school during my junior year due to academic misconduct. I collaborated on one question on a final. During the suspension, I did extra work on my research. My research advisor is fully aware of the situation and is trying to show I have good character and did more work during my suspension in the letter.

Applying to Where:

Princeton - Astrophysics - Dynamics, Exoplanets - Rejected 2/4 via email to check portal
CalTech - Astronomy - Dynamics, Exoplanets - Rejected 2/24 via email
U Chicago - Astrophysics - Dynamics, Exoplanets - Rejected 2/2 via email to check portal
Cornell - Astronomy - Dynamics, Exoplanets - Waitlisted (see 4/2 update) - Rejected 4/4 via email
Penn State - Astronomy - Dynamics, Exoplanets - Rejected 2/14 via email
UCLA - Astronomy - Dynamics, Galactic Center - Rejected 1/21 informally via phone call, official rejection via email to check status 3/3
Northwestern - Astro PhD. in Physics dept. - Dynamics, Exoplanets - Rejected 3/9 via email to check portal
U Washington - Astronomy - Dynamics, Exoplanets - Rejected 2/1 via email
UCSC - Astronomy - Dynamics, Exoplanets - Rejected 3/28 via email to check portal
Columbia - Astronomy - Exoplanets - Rejected 2/18 via email to check portal
U Arizona - Astronomy - Dynamics, Exoplanets - Rejected 4/4 via email after requesting information
CU Boulder - Astrophysics - Dynamics, Exoplanets - Rejected 2/15 via email to check portal

Update 2/4 - not looking to hot...

Update 3/3 - This is incredibly demoralizing. I stopped even checking my apps. Probably gonna do a post-bac with my research group, try to publish, and get better letters (other than my really good one) for next year.

Update 4/2 - I emailed Cornell and Arizona yesterday, and this morning I was told that I am on the Cornell waitlist.

Update 4/4 - Thats a wrap see y'all next year.
Last edited by revelent on Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:14 am, edited 19 times in total.

lobster

Post by lobster » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:04 am

Undergrad Institution: Midwestern Flagship State School, good Astronomy reputation
Major(s): Astronomy
Minor(s): Physics
GPA in Major: 3.54 (didn't do too hot on intro level classes, have been getting As in most of my 300/400 level courses)
Overall GPA: 3.66
Length of Degree: 4
Position in Class: Probably average
Type of Student: Domestic Asian male

GRE Scores: did not take
TOEFL: N/A

Research Experience:
1 summer at international institution on gravitational waves, no publications. 1 year at home institution on active galactic nuclei and galactic evolution, 2nd author publication in the works (probably won't have it accepted by the time the deadlines roll around) and senior thesis. Research has been very observational/data science heavy, and I use a lot of Python.

- Honors Society
- Deans List
- Honors College

I've been a course assistant and tutor for an Intro to Astronomy class for a couple months, I help with grading and sessions at our campus observatory. Will mentor a high school student for research, I'm really passionate about outreach. Also have been very involved in my social fraternity: I've held several minor chair positions and was chapter president during COVID, not sure if that'll help too much though.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: N/A

Special Bonus Points:
- 2 strong LoRs. One of my LoR writers has a connection to one of the more competitive schools I'm applying to.

I'm not too sure how not majoring in Physics will affect my application. I'm only two courses away from picking up the double major in Physics, but the workload required for me to do so is more than I can handle. I will be covering the base requirements for most programs (mechanics, E&M, quantum, and thermal/stat physics) by the time I graduate, but at the application deadlines I will only have a grade for mechanics I and E&M I. Again, maybe I'm overthinking it: I am only really applying to Astronomy programs.

Applying to Where:

hopefully match?
Wesleyan University | Astronomy | Observational, Planetary Formation | Rejected via email to check portal 3/10
University of Massachusetts Amherst | Astronomy | Observational, Galaxies | Rejected via email to check portal 2/3
Tufts University | Physics & Astronomy | Observational, Active Galactic Nuclei | Interview 2/7, Waitlisted 2/20, Application withdrawn
Dartmouth College | Physics & Astronomy | Observational, Active Galactic Nuclei | Rejected via email to check portal 4/11
Texas A&M University | Physics & Astronomy | Observational, Galactic Evolution | WILL ATTEND!!! Interview 2/8, informal acceptance via email 2/17

from three!
University of Virginia | Astronomy | Observational, Galactic Evolution | Application withdrawn
Ohio State University | Astronomy | Observational, Active Galactic Nuclei | Rejected while checking portal 2/18
Boston University | Astronomy | Observational, Planetary Formation | Rejected via generic email 3/7
University of Wisconsin Madison | Astronomy | Observational | Rejected via generic email 1/6
Vanderbilt University | Physics & Astronomy | Computational, Black Holes | Rejected via email to check portal 2/25

ultra reach
Northwestern University | Astronomy | Data Science, Stellar Evolution | Rejected via email to check portal 3/9
Columbia University | Astronomy | Data Science, Stellar Populations | Rejected via email to check portal 2/18
Yale University | Astronomy | Observational, Active Galactic Nuclei/Galactic Evolution | Rejected via email to check portal 2/14
Princeton University | Astrophysical Sciences | Observational, Active Galactic Nuclei | Rejected via email to check portal 2/4

update 2/18: received first offer from Texas A&M on 2/17, so excited and would be thrilled to attend!
Last edited by lobster on Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:47 pm, edited 23 times in total.

anonymous_dude

Post by anonymous_dude » Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:02 pm

Undergrad Institution: Private Research University in US (Top 45 overall in country. Good physics rep)
Major(s): Physics
Minor(s): Math
GPA in Major: 3.77
Overall GPA: 3.78
Position in Class: Idk but probably good?
Type of Student: White Male Domestic

GRE Scores: hahahahahhahahahahahahha

Research Experience:
Currently: Working remotely for a large research lab in CA writing custom sims for quantum networks design, will join them in the summer as an in-person intern.

Summer 2021: I worked on a military research contract on quantum networks, resulting in an extensive confidential report which I authored, although it cannot be shared publicly, however I can still put the title and the fact that I was first author on my apps so I feel like this still counts as something. My advisor told me that because of the credibility of the contract I worked on, this is nearly impressive as a regular publication.

Summer 2020: Interned for a quantum computing startup company, wrote simulations of light-matter interactions for our commercial quantum memory device. I also performed tabletop optical experiments to test our hardware. I'm getting a letter of rec from the CTO.

Home institution: Research for the past three years in a lab focused on Nitrogen Vacancy Center research, worked with optical instruments and ran experiments. Covid during my junior year pretty much ruined chance of publishing with them. However, I've done a lot of cool stuff with them and am getting a letter of rec from my PI.

Capstone project: Conducting my capstone on applying quantum cryptography and network protocols to current blockchain schemes. Basically trying to propose a model for a decentralized quantum cryptocurrency which is insured via the no-cloning theorem. Presented at one regional APS conference, and will also be presenting at the APS March meeting. Getting a letter of rec from my supervisor.

So, I'd say my biggest advantage is my research is very focused on what I want to do, and is overall really good. However, no "real" publications :oops: This I think will be a main factor should places choose to reject me.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Deans high honor every year. 50% tuition scholarship.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Co-founder of my schools undergraduate research society.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Nah.

Special Bonus Points: Really good letters of rec from the CEO of the company I worked for, my lab PI, and my capstone advisor.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Idk I'm taking a grad math course if that helps haha.

Applying to Where: QI/AMO-ex Quantum computing, quantum networks/internet...

Ridiculous Reach
Oxford

Reach
Harvard - Quantum Engineering - Quantum Networks - Rejected 2/22
Chicago - Quantum Engineering - Quantum Networks - Rejected 1/25
Chicago - Physics - Quantum Networks - Rejected 1/28
Stanford - Physics - Quantum Networks - Rejected 2/25
UCLA - Physics - Quantum Networks - Accepted! 2/11 via personal email from dept chair (they emailed me at 12:30 am on a friday night it was quite the time). ~$36k/yr will increase to about mid $40k's with later fellowships and pay increases This is a nice package but considering the cost of living in LA it actually isn't anything crazy.

Target
UT Austin - Physics - Quantum Networks - interview 12/20 Invited to open house 2/8 Unofficial acceptance during open house 2/25 ~$30k. WILL ATTEND :D
Duke - Physics - Quantum Networks - Waitlisted 2/18
Boulder - Physics - Quantum Networks - Rejected 2/28

Final thoughts 2/28/22:

Overall, I'm extremely happy to have gotten into two incredible schools, UCLA and UT Austin. I think a lot of people wouldn't be necessarily satisfied about getting into 2/8 programs, but I think this reflects the fact that I really only applied to schools I'd be genuinely happy going to. Here's some advice:

1. Grades and publications are hard to get, but NETWORKING IS FREE. I can't stress how easy it is to reach out to professors and simply ask if they'll chat with you. So much of your appeal to grad schools is in your control. Read over couple of their papers and then get a one-on-one meeting. This really sets you apart and is stupidly easy to do.

2. Taking the GRE is a great plus if you can get a good score, and especially if it serves to bolster a sub-par gpa, but you really don't need it unless there's a specific reason to. Don't break your back over it and enjoy your senior year and do more research instead.

3. Don't apply to schools unless you really wanna go! This DOESN'T mean only apply to reaches, but don't just throw applications at places. It's better to apply to a few programs and have really good SOP's and display true interest in that program than it is to just apply en-mass to places.

4. GradCafe is your enemy, not your friend. It will suck you in and you will become addicted to checking every waking moment. Resist the urge.
Last edited by anonymous_dude on Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:33 pm, edited 62 times in total.

antonio.najera

Post by antonio.najera » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:37 pm

Deleted
Last edited by antonio.najera on Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:17 pm, edited 11 times in total.

astronomerrier

Post by astronomerrier » Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:16 pm

Undergrad Institution: Large state school, average reputation in physics (~50th)
Major(s): Astronomy (primary) & physics (secondary)
Minor(s): None
GPA in Major: 3.97
Overall GPA: 3.98
Length of Degree: 4 years
Position in Class: near top?
Type of Student: Domestic white female

GRE Scores: took the general GRE and did relatively well, but none of my schools require it so it doesn't matter ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Specifically chose schools that didn't require the physics GRE, screw that.

Research Experience:
  • 3 years of extragalactic astronomy research at my home institution. First author paper that'll be submitted to the journal by the time of application (or maybe a few days later, shhhhh), 2 first-author conference posters, 2 first-author conference talks, and a short piece for a popular astronomy website. One of my letters of rec.
  • One summer of extragalactic astronomy research with well-known PI at high-ranked astronomy institution. Haven't done much since the summer (gesturing towards the paper that's been eating all my time), but I've continued going to group meetings and they're one of my letters of rec.
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Prestigious national STEM scholarship, award for one of my conference presentations, a few undergraduate grants from my home institution/state.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: I've been the president of the astronomy club at my home institution for the last two years, and was on the eboard before that; I've been involved with SPS since freshman year and the women+ in physics group since it was founded. I've also been a TA in the physics department for the last three years in a very student-facing position: overall, I'm really emphasizing my teaching and outreach skills on my applications.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: I emailed all my goal PIs to make sure they were taking students, and have gotten emails back from a few (mostly those I had a connection with already, even if that connection was like "talked one time at a conference." Not sure if this'll pay off in the admission process, but I figure it can't hurt)

Applying to Where: Sorted by due date, lol. All for observational extragalactic astronomy, some veering into observational cosmology. Star denotes contact with PI, as in they replied to my email. Let's see if it makes a difference!
University of Arizona Accepted via phone call 02/11. Will attend!
Harvard* Rejected via email to check portal 02/07.
Johns Hopkins* Accepted via email 02/08. Offer declined.
UCLA Accepted via informal email 01/25. Offer declined.
University of Hawaii* Accepted via email 01/28. Offer declined.
University of Maryland* Interview request 01/27, Accepted via email 02/21. Offer declined.
UT Austin* Interview request 02/22, Accepted via phone call 02/28. Offer declined.
Yale Interview request 01/24, Accepted via email to check portal 02/14. Offer declined.
Caltech Interview request 01/14, Accepted 02/01 via phone call. Offer declined.
Indiana University* Accepted via email 02/01. Offer declined.
University of ToledoInterview request 01/18, Accepted via email 01/29. Offer declined.
Rochester Institute of Technology Doubt I'll hear anything at this point, probably a rejection on the 15th.

Good luck, everyone! I've been lurking on this forum (read: feeding my anxiety) for the last couple of years, and it feels a little surreal to finally be typing out my own post.

Edit 04/11/22:
And that's it! It was a really difficult decision between Caltech and Arizona, but I feel like I made the right choice. A little bit of retrospective: I have a strong CV, but so do lots of people. I think what made my application stand out was its specificity. I got lucky with the timing: JWST has launched and it's doing well, so I was well-poised to say "I want to work with JWST data: here is the specific research experience I have that makes me uniquely prepared to do that." Combined with selecting reach schools with lots of Webb time, I think that was what allowed me to get a lot of offers. Obviously not everyone knows exactly what they want to do in grad school, but if you do have a clear idea it can be incredibly useful to you if you take that into account when choosing where to apply and writing your essays.

Also, if you're a sophomore or junior on this forum and freaking out because these people's CVs don't look like yours: yeah, of course they don't! The vast majority of people posting in this thread are seniors, or post-grads who have spent time working or getting a masters. You also don't need everything: I didn't have any grad classes, I only had one external research experience with no conference presentations from it, no physics GRE scores...Of course it's important to think about how you can get involved in research, teaching, outreach, etc. so you can build your CV over time, but my application did not look like this in December of my sophomore or junior year and I totally freaked out comparing myself to the 2020 and 2021 applicants. Keep on keeping on, and it'll come.
Last edited by astronomerrier on Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:52 am, edited 21 times in total.

glasscat

Post by glasscat » Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:35 pm

deleted
Last edited by glasscat on Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.

fingerscrossed

Post by fingerscrossed » Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:58 pm

Undergrad Institution: Big State School, Excellent Reputation in Physics
Major(s): Engineering Physics w/ concentration in Professional Physics
Minor(s): Econometrics
GPA in Major: 3.84
Overall GPA: 3.86
Position in Class: roughly 75th percentile
Type of Student: Domestic White Male

GRE Scores: n/a

TOEFL: n/a

Research Experience:
HEP-ex Detector R&D, Monte Carlo Sims, Data Analysis (2 years, potential pub in spring, presented results to collaboration on many occasions)
1 summer at a national lab doing accelerator physics simulations, poster session at end, internal publication at lab
Semester of Independent Study for Quantum Class

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Deans List, Random award for scoring highly in national Latin exam

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: 2 semesters TAing, Physics and Math tutoring, VP in college ambassador RSO

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: nah

Special Bonus Points: 1 grad class this semester, one next as well, strong rec letters, 1 from well connected prof

Applying to Where:

UIUC - Physics - HEP (Feb. 2: WILL ATTEND for Ph.D via email + $25k TA)
Purdue - Physics - HEP (Feb. 17: ACCEPTED for Ph.D via email+ $20.9k TA + $5k Scholarship)
Michigan - Physics - HEP (Feb. 8: Rejected via portal)
Wisconsin - Physics - HEP (Jan. 28: ACCEPTED for Ph.D via email + Pending TA/RA + $1k Scholarship)
UT Austin - Physics - HEP (Mar. 18: WITHDRAWN)
IU - Physics - HEP (Feb. 1: ACCEPTED for Ph.D via email + $18.3k TA/RA + 5k Scholarship)
UC Boulder - Physics - HEP (Jan. 28: ACCEPTED for Ph.D via portal + $24.5k TA/RA + $3k Scholarship)
Maryland - Physics - HEP (Mar. 18: WITHDRAWN)
Carnegie Melon - Physics - HEP (Feb. 8: Waitlisted for Ph.D via portal)(Mar. 18: WITHDRAWN)
UChicago - Physics - HEP/Accelerator (Jan. 28: Rejected via portal)
MSU - Physics - Nuclear/Accelerator (Jan. 27: ACCEPTED for Ph.D via email + $29.4k TA)
Northwestern - Physics - HEP/Accelerator (Mar. 7 : Rejected via portal)
Texas A&M - Physics - HEP/Accelerator (Mar. 18: WITHDRAWN)
Stony Brook - Physics - HEP/Accelerator (Feb. 18: ACCEPTED for Ph.D via portal + $22.5k TA + $1.5k Fellowship)
Last edited by fingerscrossed on Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:19 pm, edited 13 times in total.

crowley

Post by crowley » Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:52 pm

Undergrad Institution: Small Private R2 School - Great Engineering Rep, Meh Physics rep, Meh astro rep
Major(s): B.S. Astrophysics
Minor(s): Computer Science
GPA in Major: School Doesn't Calculate
Overall GPA: 3.62
Length of Degree: 4 Years
Position in Class: Small Astro class (4 Students) but I believe I was #2
Type of Student: Domestic Male

GRE Scores: frick the GRE

TOEFL: NA

Research Experience:
-Worked at a USDA Lab for 3 summers in high school, sorta irrelevant but it put me on this path.
-2.5 years modeling variable stars in python, working with TESS data
-Presented iPoster at AAS 237
-Presented slides at local astronomical society meeting
-First author paper in the works, should be at least on arxiv before final submissions
-Will present again at AAS 239 --Cancelled due to Omicron :(

-2x deans list
-Graduated high honors

-Grading position for astronomy class for 1 semester

Special Bonus Points:
-Recommender on the TESS science team

-Phi Sigma Pi honors fraternity member
-President of the astronomy club at my university for 3 years

Applying to Where:

Virginia Tech: Physics - Astrophysical Neutrinos ---REJECTED 2/17
UMD: Astronomy- Exoplanets --- REJECTED 2/23
Wisconsin Madison: Astronomy- Astrophysical Neutrinos ---REJECTED 1/6
Johns Hopkins: Astronomy- Astrophysical Neutrinos, Exoplanets ---REJECTED 3/1
University of Arizona: Astronomy- Exoplanets, Astrobio --- REJECTED 3/2
Penn State: Astronomy- Exoplanets, Astrophysical Neutrinos --- REJECTED 2/14
University of Washington: Astronomy- Exoplanets ---REJECTED 2/1
MIT: Astronomy- Exoplanets --- REJECTED 2/8

Notes:
I reached out to professors at Virginia Tech, UMD, Arizona, Washington, and MIT. I got a surprising amount of responses and had a few zoom calls. I'm feeling confident about VTech and UMD. My partner goes to VTech, so that's a plus. Good luck everyone!

EDIT 3/2: Well that's a wrap. Can't wait to apply again and endure this psychological torture for a third year in a row :cry:
Last edited by crowley on Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:59 pm, edited 11 times in total.

cabzx

Post by cabzx » Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:04 am

Undergrad Institution: Engineering School top in country but unknown
Major(s): Electromechanical Engineering
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 2.76/3
Overall GPA:
Length of Degree: 5
Position in Class: Top of the graduating class
Type of Student: International Male Latino

Masters Institution: Cornell
Major(s): Applied & Engineering Physics
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.603
Overall GPA:
Length of Degree: 1
Position in Class:
Type of Student: International Male Latino

GRE Scores: NO GRE REQUIRED FOR THIS YEAR (WE ALL KNOW WHAT HAPPENED). However, if you have the scores, you might just post them here.

IELTS: 8.5 (R:9 , L:9 , S:8 , W:7 )

Research Experience:
3 years working on nonholonomic vehicles (automation and modeling). Home institution. 1 publication in small journal.
1 year at Plasma Lab, no publication.

Several national level fellowships and international scholarships.
Medals and awards from international bodies (OAS), not all in physics.

2 years lecturer at university level (physics classes for engineers).
six months at fusion related startup.

Have two other degrees: 1 in teaching for higher education and currently working toward a MSc in Math.

Special Bonus Points:
All recommenders are from masters institution. They really want to help me succeed, have been helping me with letters since last year.
Contacted several universities beforehand and had some emails and at least one Zoom Call with relevant faculty. Faculty at Warwick was super helpful (they require that you email them before making the application).
Received a lot of help from the NSE and Physics GAAP Programs at MIT, they helped me by answering questions and reviewing my CV and Statement of Purpose (had nice stories about how some kids with 2.9 GPAs make it to the end of the program and guys with 4.0s drop out).

Other languages include Spanish and Russian
Have started some companies and worked outside academia (in Personal Statement)

Applying to Where:

US
MIT - Physics - Plasma/Fusion -- Rejected FEB/08
MIT - NSE - Plasma/Fusion -- Interview JAN/24 -- Accepted FEB/03 with funding offer
Princeton - PPPL - Plasma/Fusion -- Rejected FEB/08
UW-Madison - EE - Plasma/Fusion
UW-Madison - NEEP - Plasma/Fusion -- Interview FEB/08 -- Open House FEB/11
UW-Madison - Physics - Plasma/Fusion -- Rejected JAN/28
Caltech - Applied Physics - Plasma/Fusion

UK
University of Oxford - Theoretical Physics - Plasma/Fusion
University of Warwick - Physics - Plasma/Fusion -- Interview DEC/22 -- Accepted JAN/24 No Funding
Imperial College London - Physics - Plasma/Fusion -- Informal Interview JAN/21

Other
EPFL - Plasma Physics - Plasma/Fusion -- Interview Request JAN/21 -- Interview JAN/31 -- Rejected JAN/31 (Same day as interview)

-------------
Last year I applied to University of York (UK) but got rejected. Also got rejected from HPPL (Max Planck Institute). Here is hoping that I can get into one of these universities. I will need funding for some, but I may be able to get it from government scholarships. Competition is tough this year, many applicants means that you can get caught in the weed.
Last edited by cabzx on Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:24 pm, edited 14 times in total.

Pietroza123

Post by Pietroza123 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:48 am

Undergraduate Institution: Top Latin America school - good physics reputation
GPA: 9.1/10
Length of Degree: 3.5
Position in Class: 4/99
Type of Student: International white male

Graduate Institution: same as undergrad institution (still in progress)
GPA: 4/4
Position in Class: do not have this in graduate school

TOEFL: 106 (30R, 28L, 23S, 25W)

GRE:
Q: 169 (94%)
V: 165 (96%)
W: 4.0 (54%)
P: 910 (82%)

Research Experience:

- 3 years of studying neural networks using statistical mechanics methods. One poster and currently writing a first-authored paper.

2.5 years of undergraduate scholarship for research and 1 year of graduate scholarship, the scholarships that I obtained are the hardest to obtain in my country.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: 1 semester of tutoring in a statistical mechanics course

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Did 6 graduate courses, I scored A in all of them (here we score 0-10 in undergraduate courses and F-A in graduate courses). I also did 5 graduate courses in maths in the summer, scored A in all of them. Participated in some workshops.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: My advisor wrote a strong letter of recommendation I believe, other 2 letters of recommendation come from course instructors and are probably good. I wrote to advisors that I am willing to work with, received positive answers and confirmation that they have space in their labs.

I mainly applied looking forward to work on theoretical biophysics or complex systems.

Applying to Where:

Rice - Physics. Accepted 02/20 -34k TA/RA
UCSD - Physics with specialization in quantitative biology. - Rejected 03/29
Cornell - Physics. - Rejected 03/02
Emory - Physics. - Interview 01/21 - Accepted 02/10 - 32k TA/RA
University of Washington - Physics. - Rejected 03/29
WUSTL - Physics. - Accepted 01/31 - 29k TA/RA +5k first year fellowship
UPenn - Physics. - Rejected 03/18
Penn State - Physics. - Accepted 02/04 - 23k TA 9 months + 4k summer +5k first year fellowship
Northwestern - Physics. - Interview 01/25 - Accepted 02/09 -35k - WILL ATTEND
Northeastern - Physics. - Accepted 03/11 - 40k TA/RA
Last edited by Pietroza123 on Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:12 am, edited 16 times in total.

fedeambro

Post by fedeambro » Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:59 am

Undergrad Institution: Top 2 UK Institution
Major(s): Mathematical and Theoretical Physics
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: NA (current student)
Overall GPA: NA
Position in Class: NA
Type of Student: International white (European)

Undergrad Institution: Top 3 Italian Institution Physics
Minor(s): NA
GPA in Major: NA
Overall GPA: 29.7/30
Length of Degree: 3
Position in Class: top
Type of Student: International white (European)

IELTS: 8.0 Overall, 9R -8.5L -7W - 6.5S

Research Experience: 3 International research experiences in High Energy Physics - Theory + 2 research thesis. 1 conferences talk and 1 Seminar in international research Institutions. 2 first-author papers in preparation (HEP-Th and MathPhys), 1 paper on Astro-Th on Arxiv
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: 2 travel awards, top of the class every year, 5 scholarships

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Research stay in an international institution. Employed in outreach company.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Finished my bachelor courses in advance

Special Bonus Points: 3 strong recommendation letters: 1 famous professor in HEP-Th and 1 Post Doc in top US institution all research-based. Contacted various PoI that encouraged me to apply because of research affinities

Applying to Where:

Princeton - Physics- Theoretical Physics -HEP-Th - Rejected 2/11
Caltech- Physics- Theoretical Physics -HEP-Th - Rejected 2/10
MIT - Physics- Theoretical Physics -HEP-Th - Rejected 2/8
Harvard - Physics- Theoretical Physics -HEP-Th- Rejected 2/19
Stanford - Physics- Theoretical Physics -HEP-Th
Stony Brook - Physics- Theoretical Physics -HEP-Th
Oxford - Mathematics - Mathematical Physics - Interview 1/26
UChicago - Physics- Theoretical Physics -HEP-Th - Rejected 1/28

[1/29] ]First rejection, I have the feeling that I won't get in any of those :)

[2/11] ] Feeling confirmed :)
Last edited by fedeambro on Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:31 am, edited 11 times in total.

sphericalharmonics

Post by sphericalharmonics » Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:20 am

GPA in Major: 9.2/10
Overall GPA: 8.8/10
Position in Class: top
Type of Student: International Indian male

GRE Scores: Q:167, V:154 (does anyone care about these anymore)
PGRE: Did not take (still regretting, my GPA isn't that great so PGRE could've helped. I may take it at some point if I don't get anywhere this year.)

TOEFL: (R: 29 , L: 29 , S: 23, W: 28)

Research Experience: 2 years of research exp - 1 year (junior year) under prof at home university in cosmological parameter estimation, 1 year (final year) thesis project on astrophysical system modeling and parameter estimation at Caltech, USA. 1 pub in preparation from thesis research. 1 summer of research writing internship in Quantum Computation in sophomore year at a major national institute.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Twice in the dean's list; merit-based scholarship holder for all four years of UG; a few other scholarships for attending national/international schools; rank in national level physics examination.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: freelance tutor for more than a year, 1 semester of on-campus job experience.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: a couple of leadership roles in various clubs and societies, numerous summer/winter schools in astrophysics/cosmology.

Special Bonus Points: undertaken grad-level courses in cosmology, QFT, HEP, and GTR. Two of the recommenders are my research advisors, while the third was an instructor in three courses I did extremely well in, so expecting strong LORs. Displayed persistent interest in Astro/cosmo research in CV through various workshops/schools I attended throughout UG.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Only applied to places where I had contacted at least 1 potential supervisor with a positive response (i.e. them encouraging me to apply after looking at my CV)

Applying to Where (theory everywhere unless specified otherwise):

Caltech - Physics - Astrophysics, Cosmology, HEP - REJECTED via email 10th Feb 2022
UMich - Physics - Cosmology, HEP - REJECTED via email 22nd Jan 2022
MIT - Physics - Astrophysics, Cosmology, HEP - REJECTED via email 8th Feb 2022
Johns Hopkins - Physics - Cosmology, HEP - Probably rejected (heard that acceptees are invited for open house next week) 23rd Feb 2022
PennState - Physics - Gravity, Astrophysics, Cosmology
UC, Santa Cruz - Physics - Astrophysics, Cosmology, HEP - REJECTED via email 22nd Feb 2022
UIUC - Physics - Gravity, Astrophysics, Cosmology, HEP
BCGS, Germany - M.Sc. Physics - REJECTED via email 01st Feb 2022

Update - 22nd Jan 2022:
Just received my first rejection via email. One of my top choices so stings quite a bit. Don't know what to expect from the rest anymore.

Update - 10th Feb 2022:
Rejected from 50% of the applied institutes. I am already in the process of considering other options such as a master's in India or Europe, and would be applying accordingly.

Update - 23rd Feb 2022:
Yep, it's almost official. An American Ph.D. is not realizable for me at this stage. Instead of waiting for the remaining rejections, I am preparing my master's applications (will mostly be applying to Europe, I guess.) May or may not update the post hereafter, just don't feel like it anymore.
Last edited by sphericalharmonics on Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:22 pm, edited 10 times in total.

JaxzanProditor

Post by JaxzanProditor » Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:22 pm

Undergrad Institution: Large private school, good physics reputation
Major(s): Physics, Math
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.97
Position in Class: Unranked, but near top
Type of Student: Domestic white male

GRE Scores:
Physics: 900 (81st percentile)

Research Experience:
2 years in hep-ex at home university. Spent one summer doing an REU. Publication in preprint with another on the way.

Dean's List
Research grant from school (2 semesters)

Vice President for my school's SPS chapter
Learning Assistant for two semesters
Peer mentor for the physics department

None

Special Bonus Points:
Taken a couple of grad math/physics classes. Two of my letters are from professors I did research with, one of whom is not at my home university.

None

Applying to Where:

Reach:
MIT - Physics - Theory | Rejected Feb 8
Harvard - Physics - Theory | Rejected Feb 18
UCSB - Physics - Theory | Professor told me if I haven't heard anything yet I didn't get in Mar 8 | officially Rejected Mar 14

Target:
UMD - Physics - Theory | Rejected Mar 28
UCSD - Physics - Theory | Rejected Mar 29
University of Washington - Physics - Theory | Rejected Mar 29
UIUC - Physics - Theory | Rejected Mar 17
Stony Brook - Physics - Theory | Rejected Mar 5, but Accepted into the MA program | (declined lol)

Safety:
Rutgers - Physics - Theory | Rejected
VTech - Physics - Theory | Rejected Feb 11 (uh oh)
Pitt - Physics - Theory | Accepted!! Feb 22 | Will attend!
Last edited by JaxzanProditor on Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:02 am, edited 12 times in total.

govsunset

Post by govsunset » Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:52 pm

Undergrad Institution: Big State School, ~ 50 in Physics
Major: Physics
Minor: Mathematics
GPA in Major: Phys - 3.72, Math - 4.00
Overall GPA: 3.82

GRE Scores : Did not take

Research Experience:
- Dark Matter Phenomenology - 2 Summers, 3 Semesters (~20 Months):
3 APS Presentations, 1 3rd Author Paper
- Computational Mathematical Physics - 2 Summers, 3 Semesters (~18 Months):
1 Presentation, 1 Thesis
- Nuclear Experiment - 1 Semester (~5 Months):

- Physics Department Scholarship
- Summer Research Stipend - 2 Summers

- Mathematics Department Teaching Assistant and Grader - 4 Semesters
- Mathematics Directed Reading Program - 1 Semester
1 Presentation
- Physics Department Student Assistant - 1 Semester

- Won my school’s Integral Bee as a freshman :)

Special Bonus Points:
- 1 Graduate Mathematics course (Received an A)
- 1 Graduate Physics course (Received an A)
- 2 Recommenders have Wikipedia Page, all 3 Recommenders are professors I have done research for.
- Mentioned that I will be taking QFT in the spring

- 3 years in a Freshman Orientation organization
- 2 years in the University's equivalent of Student Council
- Rutgers, BU, UW, Pitt, Brown, and Stony Brook all received my fall grades in which my Cumulative GPA increased to a 3.86 and my Physics GPA increased to a 3.8

Applying to Where:

All HEP-EX

Brown - Accepted
Florida - Accepted
Northeastern - Accepted
Pitt - Accepted

Ohio State - Waitlisted
Stony Brook - Unfunded Masters Offer

Boston University - Rejected
Johns Hopkins - Rejected
New York University - Rejected
UCLA - Rejected
UPenn - Rejected
Washington - Rejected
Wisconsin - Rejected

Rutgers -
Last edited by govsunset on Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

eskin

Post by eskin » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:29 pm

Undergrad Institution: Best ranked school for physics in Turkey
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: No such thing
Overall GPA: 3.24 (Grade deflation made all of us cry)
Length of Degree: 5 years
Position in Class: 12th among 171

GRE Scores: NO GRE.

TOEFL: (R: 28, L: 25, S: 24, W: 23)

Research Experience:
-1.5 years on stochastic population dynamics with an independent researcher (1 paper in a journal with impact factor 1.3, 1 first-author peer-reviewed conference paper, 4 oral presentations in international conferences).
-1 year on machine learning in my home institution (1 first-author paper is in final preparation).
-2 months on complex systems science in Notre Dame (ongoing).

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: None

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: None

Special Bonus Points: 2 good lors (I believe). Also, I had a rough sophomore year, but I did a 3.79 GPA in the last two semesters and have a good position in the class.

Applying to Where:

Notre Dame - Physics - Soft Matter and Biological Physics: (Feb. 10: ACCEPTED for Ph.D via email to check portal + $23.875k/9 months TA + $1500 bonus) WILL ATTEND!
Virginia Tech -Physics - Soft Matter and Biological Physics: (Feb. 1: ACCEPTED for Ph.D via email to check portal + $21k/9 months TA) Declined
Pittsburgh - Physics - Soft Matter and Biological Physics: (Feb. 24: ACCEPTED for Ph.D via email + $9900k/semester TA) Declined
Rochester - Physics - Soft Matter and Biological Physics: (Feb. 16: Rejected for Ph.D via email to check portal)
IST Austria - Graduate School - Soft Matter and Biological Physics: (March. 25: Rejected for Ph.D via email)
Last edited by eskin on Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:11 pm, edited 9 times in total.

welcome_green

Post by welcome_green » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:32 pm

Undergrad Institution: Big state university, good physics reputation. Home university in Germany
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.7 in Germany, 4.0 in the US
Overall GPA: 3.7
Position in Class: Upper mid / top (?)
Type of Student: International, white, non-hispanic

GRE Scores:

TOEFL: 118
(R: 30 , L: 29, S: 29, W: 30)

Research Experience:
1. German university: Dark Matter detection, 1 year, publication in preparation, main author
2. Undergrad research in the US: Molecular spectroscopy, 4 months, no publication

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: One scholarship, some awards during high school

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Several tutor jobs, drafting lecture notes etc

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: A lot of leadership experience, president positions and social engagement

Special Bonus Points: Some grad classes, QFT with an A+, at least one very good letter from my prof who was my research supervisor + for whom I wrote lecture notes!

Applying to Where:

Princeton - Physics PhD - Dark Matter
Yale - Physics PhD - Dark Matter - Waitlisted 02/09
Harvard - Physics PhD - Dark Matter
Stanford - Physics PhD - Dark Matter
Cambridge - Physics Master - Dark Matter - Interview 01/13/22, second interview with different professor 01/18/22 - ACCEPTED 02/07 -- Still waiting for funding!
Imperial college - Physics Master - No specification
Caltech - Physics PhD - Dark Matter
Cornell - Physics PhD - Dark Matter
Max-Planck Institute for Physics - Physics Master / joint supervision with my university - Particle Physics - Interview December 5th - ACCEPTED December 5th during the interview (lol)

I know - all of them are high reach. But I take the chance and give it a shot.
If I get declined I am more than fine since I already have a secured Master at the Max-Planck institute in Germany - so I might as well try and see what US schools have to say :)
Actually, I am not even sure if I would accept any offer if I get one since I want to move away from Dark Matter sooner or later. So, I consider this application cycle more as "testing the waters" than a real application. Let's see!
Last edited by welcome_green on Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:10 am, edited 8 times in total.

Jlynxie

Post by Jlynxie » Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:22 am

Undergrad Institution: Big state university ~ 50 in Physics
Minor(s): Chemistry and Mathematics
GPA in Major: 3.958
Overall GPA: 3.982
Position in Class: upper? doesn't do ranking
Type of Student: Domestic, Asian, male

GRE Scores:
V:160
Q:166
A:5

TOEFL: (R: , L: , S: , W: ): Does not apply

Research Experience:
1. At my university: Biophysical research using NMR techniques. Around 8 months and ongoing
2. At the hospital: Medical Physics research. Around 8 months and ongoing

Deans list every semester/year

Worked as a medical physics assistant at the University's hospital for around 3 years.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: none

Special Bonus Points: Have a recommendation letter from the head of the medical physics program at my College

Applying to Where:

All Medical Physics programs

LSU - MS Invited for Interview
Kentucky - MS | Invited for Interview Accepted(Will Accept)
Md Anderson UTHealth- MS Rejected
University of Nevada - DMP

UPENN - MS Invited for Interview(Withdrew application)
Wayne - MS
Duke - MS Accepted(Will Decline)

UW-Madison - PhD |Waitlisted
UCLA - PhD | Invited for Interview(Withdrew application)
University of Chicago - PhD Rejected

Oregon - MS Accepted(Will Decline)
Toledo - MS
VCU - MS Accepted(Will Decline)
Hofstra - MS
Last edited by Jlynxie on Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.

alion22

Post by alion22 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:07 pm

Undergrad Institution: Big public school, good physics rep
GPA in Major: 4.0
Overall GPA: 3.99
Position in Class: idk exactly, but i'm guessing near the top
Type of Student: Domestic female

GRE Scores: didn't take (they cancelled twice!!)

Research Experience: All at my school; 2 years of cosmology research, mostly computational. By graduation, 2 years of CMT, with a first-author publication in preparation rn. I've given a few talks at conferences (including APS March Meeting + AAS), as well as a few posters.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Dean's list, a department research fellowship, Phi Beta Kappa

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Been a tutor for 2 years, teach a seminar class. Have graded for classes as well.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Pretty involved in equity and inclusion work.

Special Bonus Points: I think all my letters were strong, and I submitted 4 to all the ones that would accept an extra; my main research supervisor is pretty well connected at the universities I applied to. Also have taken 4 grad classes, done well in all of them.

Applying to Where:

Caltech - Physics - CMT/QI [Jan. 13 Interview request] [Jan. 31 accepted via email!!], Declined
MIT - Physics - CMT/QI/HEP-th [Feb. 8 rejected via email]
Stanford - Physics - CMT/QI/HEP-th [Feb. 25 rejected via email]
University of California, Berkeley - Physics - CMT/QI/HEP-th [Feb. 25 Accepted via email!!], Declined
Princeton - Physics - CMT/QI [Feb. 11 rejected via email to check portal]
Harvard - Physics - CMT/QI [Jan. 27 Interview w/ PI] [Feb. 9 accepted via call from PI!!, Feb. 10 official letter] WILL ATTEND!!
Oxford - Physics - CMT [Feb. 1, Feb. 3, Feb. 4 Interviews w/ PIs] [Feb. 8 accepted via email!!], Declined
University of California, Santa Barbara - Physics - CMT/QI/HEP-th [Feb. 11 Accepted via email to check portal], Declined
University of Colorado, Boulder - Physics - CMT [Jan. 14 Accepted via email to check portal], Declined
University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign - Physics - CMT/QI/HEP-th [Feb. 9 Accepted via email], Declined
University of Maryland, College Park - Physics - CMT/QI/HEP-th [Jan. 18 unofficial acceptance by phone, Feb. 3 official letter], Declined
Boston University - Physics - CMT [Feb. 1 unofficial acceptance, Feb. 3 official letter], Declined
Perimeter Scholars International - Masters Program [Dec. 14 Accepted via email], Declined

02/25: My final two decisions came in today-- feels surreal to be done with this part of the process. Overall, I'm really happy with my options, and excited to start the actual decision process on my end!
Last edited by alion22 on Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:47 pm, edited 28 times in total.

phygre123

Post by phygre123 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:26 am

del
Last edited by phygre123 on Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:41 pm, edited 5 times in total.

physicist111

Post by physicist111 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:31 pm

deleted
Last edited by physicist111 on Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:44 pm, edited 12 times in total.

nootnoot_

Post by nootnoot_ » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:12 pm

Undergrad Institution: Top 5
Major(s): Physics, Chemistry
Minor(s):
GPA in Major:
Overall GPA: 3.87
Position in Class: probably fine

GRE Scores: No GRE due to Covid

Research Experience: Unproductive wet lab chemistry work for two years before Covid, switched to a computational solid state group at the start of junior year and have a first author manuscript I'm submitting Feb 2022 (I highlighted it in my apps even though it wasn't submitted then). No internships but I did have one get cancelled because of Covid that I mentioned. I was also asked by a prof I took a grad class with to coauthor a review on a "trendy" topic in computational chemistry (also not submitted by app time), and I'm writing a second senior thesis in chemistry with them. I'm applying to do a mix of condensed matter theory and materials simulations.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Physics honors society, a few Zoom talks given to large collaborations but no conferences and no pubs by submission time.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Tutored orgo and gen chem, TA'd an upper level class on quantum materials, notetaker for students with learning disabilities.

Special Bonus Points: I took a lot of grad courses (solid state I/II, QFT I, grad math methods, three catalysis courses in the chem department, and a few more planned Spring '22) and did quite well in them + got recs saying so. I submitted four strong rec letters to every school I could, and I think they are by far the most significant factor of my application. My rec writers are well connected at most of the schools I applied to. Without any pubs, I am relying on making an impression as a strong student who's capable of theory work, the latter of which helps especially for applied physics programs.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: NSF GRFP applicant, I think one of my advisors mentioned in their rec letter that they suspect I'll get it

Applying to Where:

Physics-ish
UC Berkeley: Physics - CMT/materials, accepted 2/25
Harvard: Applied Physics - CMT/materials, PI interview 1/13, accepted 2/3
Caltech: Applied Physics - CMT/materials, PI interview 1/22, accepted 2/9
UT Austin: Physics - CMT/materials, open house invite 2/9, declined further admissions updates

Other
Stanford: Materials Science & Engineering, 2/3 Accepted
UChicago: Chemistry, 1/15 Accepted

Can't believe it! Would definitely recommend applying to applied physics programs if you have condensed matter/AMO interests. It certainly does seem like I did anomalously well, but I only applied to programs that I felt would be a really excellent research fit (notice no MIT, Princeton, Cornell, etc.) and I think that explains my high success rate.
Last edited by nootnoot_ on Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:20 am, edited 7 times in total.

burnbadd

Post by burnbadd » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:01 pm

Undergrad Institution: University of Cambridge
Major(s): Natural Sciences, specialised in Physics (We don't have a physics major)
Minor(s): NA
Overall GPA: 3.73
Length of Degree: 3 years
Position in Class: Probably just middle, I kinda bombed my second year
Type of Student: Domestic East Asian Male

GRE Scores:
Physics GRE: 960 (92nd percentile)

Even tho the physics GRE this year is optional, I still decided to take it at the last minute. Would recommend the book "Conquering the Physics GRE by Yoni Kahn" if you're preparing for the physics GRE. I would say I was quite lucky with this one since I only spent a week reading this book and did no past papers.

Research Experience: 3 months of research experience at an institute from home(East Asia) during the summer of 2021. The topic was in the field of computational cosmology and the research was carried out entirely by myself, currently drafting a paper with me as the first author. I came up with some new algorithms and applied them to the observational data of the Cosmic Microwave Background, trying to analyse the topology of the universe and the local group.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: A scholarship in the first year. Didn't get it in the Second year since I spent too much time clubbing/drinking.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Worked at a crypto investment firm as a summer intern and built some numerical models for BTC price prediction.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Built a few numerical models for my personal projects (like just for fun). Including the simulation of the spreading of COVID-19, an AI that plays connect-four, and a simulation of the 2D Ising model.

Special Bonus Points: I have visited some PI's and their labs at Harvard and MIT. By visit, I mean like a one day visit, not like a visiting student.
Special anti-Bonus Points: I am only in the final year of my 3-year undergrad degree, unlike most of the applicants from Europe that are doing their 1-year (fourth year) Masters. Have only one research experience, and it is not related to the field that I am applying to (Quantum Computing)

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: I am not a pure domestic student, I have dual nationality and one of them is American.

Applying to Where:

Harvard - Physics - Quantum Information(Exp)
Harvard - Applied Physics - Quantum Information(Exp)
Harvard - Quantum Science&Engineering - Quantum Information(Exp)
MIT - Physics - Quantum Information(Exp)
Princeton - Physics - Quantum Information(Exp)
Yale - Physics - Quantum Information(Exp)

If you have received an invitation to an interview at any of these schools, please share it here! We can prepare for them together!
Good luck to all of you :D

Adebowale

Post by Adebowale » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:21 am

Undergrad Institution: large public US school, pretty good physics reputation
Major(s): Physics, Pure Math
GPA in Major: 3.7
Overall GPA: 3.57
Position in Class: top 15% at least
Type of Student: DWM

GRE Scores: lol good one

Research Experience:
-2.5 years home institution; galaxy simulations and analysis using python; presented at AAS conference and at home institution; senior thesis
-summer internship at NASA JPL; AGN observations and data reduction using python and SQL, tons of third party libraries; presented at JPL and home institution

-highly selective year-long research fellowship at my institution
-scholarship for outstanding physics majors freshman year
-low-key summer research scholarship at my school
-Dean's List several times

At my school the physics majors take introductory physics separately from everyone else. I tutored this class for 3 years as well as during covid on Zoom

Special Bonus Points:
2 grad classes: general relativity and classical mechanics. My main research advisor/LoR writer is relatively well-known/cited in the field. My other LoR writers were my mentor for the JPL internship and the professor of the intro physics class that I tutor.

My school is very highly ranked in social mobility and I talked about how this along with tutoring students from historically underrepresented backgrounds has influenced my choice to pursue a career in physics. I also emailed TONS of possible future phd advisors and got largely very positive responses so hopefully my reaching out will pay off. Not sure how to feel about this, but I got a C in quantum 1. However; I ended up with an B in quantum 2 and an A in quantum 3. This was during the start of covid.

Applying to Where:
(all galaxy formation/evolution, mostly computational)

super reach:

Caltech - Astrophysics - rejected via email Feb 25th
Cornell - Astronomy - rejected
UC Santa Cruz - Astrophysics - rejected
UMD, College Park - Astronomy - rejected via email Feb 23rd
Columbia - Astronomy - rejected via email to check portal Feb 18th :(
Yale - Astronomy - rejected via email to check portal Feb 14th
Washington - Astronomy - rejected via email Feb 1st

reach:

Johns Hopkins - Astronomy - rejected via email March 1st
UC Los Angeles - Astrophysics - rejected via email to check portal March 3rd
UC San Diego - Astronomy - Waitlisted (200 apps for <10 spots) - rejected
Northwestern - Astronomy - rejected via email March 11th
Purdue - Physics - ACCEPTED via email Feb 15th with $20,960/year TA. WILL ATTEND :mrgreen:
Univ of Arizona - Astrophysics - rejected via email Feb 28th
Univ of MN, Twin Cities - Astrophysics - rejected
UC Irvine - Astronomy - rejected

match (hopefully??):

ASU - Astrophysics - rejected
University of Oregon - Physics - rejected via email to check portal March 14th
UMass Amherst - Astronomy - rejected via email to check portal Feb 3rd
Iowa State - Astrophysics - rejected
George Mason - Physics - ACCEPTED via email March 4th with $24,000/year TA

Edits

1/16/22:
I found this site my freshman year and have been excited/dreading the application process since. To future readers: WARNING, these blogs and forums are not for the faint of heart! Don't get discouraged seeing loads of 4.0 GPA's on here, it is a poor representation of the general undergraduate physics community. Focus on your research on you should be fine. To everyone else, good luck! I will try to post updates as I start hearing back from schools.

2/4/22:
Only got 2 rejections so far but am convinced I am going to hear a lot more in the weeks to come. I'd say my only real hope is George Mason but we'll see. Evidently GPA matters a lot more than people once told me.

2/15/22:
WOOW accepted to Purdue! Not amazing financial package, but should be sustainable if this is the only place I am accepted to. At least the wait is over. Good luck to everyone else in the coming weeks!

2/25/22:
Interview at GMU went well, will probably decline there though. Waitlisted for UC San Diego astro so if anyone is accepted and wants to decline, please do so!!

5/9/22:
Well that about wraps up everything. Rejected everywhere but Purdue and George Mason. Luckily, Purdue has an amazing program with great research opportunities for me (Cost of living in Indiana isn't bad either). Congrats to everyone who got accepted and best of luck to those of you who didn't! :D :D
Last edited by Adebowale on Mon May 09, 2022 6:17 am, edited 35 times in total.

astro2022

Post by astro2022 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:38 am

Undergrad Institution: Top Canadian school, good physics reputation
Major(s): Honours Physics
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.81
Overall GPA: 3.81
Position in Class: Top 10%
Type of Student: Domestic

GRE Scores: Did not take

Research Experience: 1 summer of experimental 21cm cosmology research at home institution, Research thesis on theoretical 21cm cosmology at home institution, 1 NSERC USRA fellowship at other top Canadian university working on gravitational lensing + research project continuing this work at home institution, publication in preparation

- Dean's list
- Several academic scholarships from home institution
- NSERC USRA fellowship

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: University level math and physics tutor for 2 years

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Several research/journal presesentations, lots of graduate astrophysics coursework

Special Bonus Points: Know that at least 2 of my 3 letters are really good, all 3 recommenders are fairly well known in astro/cosmo circles

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: National team athlete during undergrad (for however little that's worth)

Applying to Where:

ASTROPHYSICS (mostly PhD)

Arizona - Rejeceted via email Mar 3
Columbia - Rejected via email on Feb 18
McGill (MSc)
MIT - Rejected via email on Feb 8
Northwestern - Rejected via email on Mar 9
Princeton - Rejected via email on Feb 4
UC Irvine
UCLA - Rejected via email on Mar 4
UofT - Interview invite on Jan 17, waitlisted on Feb 3, accepted on Mar 18 [will attend!]
UPenn - Rejected via portal on Mar 18 (no email)
Washington - Rejected via email on Feb 1

MEDICAL PHYSICS (all MSc)

UBC - Accepted via email on Jan 15 ($26k TA/RA funding) [declined]
UdeM - Application withdrawn on Feb 23
McGill - Accepted via email on Feb 16 ($17k/year for 2 years + graduate award TBD + RA TBD) [declined]
UVic - Interview with PI in December, rejected via email on Feb 3
Last edited by astro2022 on Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:18 pm, edited 15 times in total.

arbitrary_anon

Post by arbitrary_anon » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:49 pm

deleted for posterity
Last edited by arbitrary_anon on Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:16 pm, edited 18 times in total.

rando

Post by rando » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:25 pm

Undergrad Institution: Top Canadian institution, good reputation in physics
Major(s): Honours Physics
Overall GPA: 3.64
Position in Class: Definitely not top, probably not the lowest

GRE Scores: N/A

Research Experience:
- 4 years with 3 different advisors, mix of theory and experiment (all astro/cosmology).
- First author paper on the arxiv at the time of applications.
- Talks at 2 (small) conferences

- Research funded by awards from my home institution for 2 summers

- In SPS for 2 years, was president the second year
- 3 years of involvement in outreach activities in department
- Undergrad TA for 2 phys classes, graded for math class for 2 semesters

- Some graduate coursework

Special Bonus Points:
- My letter writers seem pretty well connected in the field

- Dual citizen with latin american country and did my elementary/high school education in home country
- Minority: female and latina

Applying to Where:

Applying in theoretical and experimental cosmology and astrophysics

MSc:
UBC - Physics [Accepted via email Jan 15th. $26,133 stipend] [OFFER DECLINED]

PhD:
MIT - Physics [Invited to interview Jan 10th] [Accepted via email Feb 7, more details about offer coming soon.]
UChicago - Astro [Invited to interview Jan 8th] [Accepted via email Jan 28. $37k stipend, + scholarship of 8k/year for the first five years]
UPenn [Invited to interview Jan 13th][Accepted via email Feb 16, more details of offer coming soon]
Princeton - Physics [Accepted via email Feb 8, $48k/year, $5k first year scholarship.]
Cornell - Astro [Accepted via email Feb 1, TA-ship $28,036 stipend for academic year + $11,300 for summer appointment.]
UofT Astro [Invited to interview Jan 17th] [Accepted via email Jan 24. $27,250 stipend + entrance scholarship of 5k/year for the first three years]
Yale - Physics [Accepted via email Feb 9, $37,950 stipend + $2k scholarship for first year] [OFFER DECLINED]
UC San Diego - Physics [Accepted via email Jan 28, more details coming soon] [OFFER DECLINED]
NYU - Physics [Accepted via email Feb 2, more details coming soon] [OFFER DECLINED]
ASU - Astro
Last edited by rando on Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:34 pm, edited 13 times in total.

Em-c-squared

Post by Em-c-squared » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:58 am

Undergrad Institution: #1 public school in the US :wink:
Major(s): Physics, astrophysics
GPA in Major: 3.6
Overall GPA: 3.24 ( :? weakest part of my app for sure )
Length of Degree: 4ish
Position in Class: Probably not too hot

GRE Scores: Thankfully not needed

Research Experience:
- 3 years of quantum materials / info related research, all in one lab at my university.
-1 year post-bac position, same lab as undergrad research but hired full time
- 1 year internship (same time as post-bac) TA-ing and developing new labs for physics undergrads, also related to quantum computing

Publications:
- one 2nd author paper (preprint but accepted for publication!)
- one 5th author paper (preprint, P.I literally submitted to arxiv the day before most of my apps were due so I could include it :P )
- one nth author paper (published in nature comm!)
- one nth author paper (published, but kinda a meh journal)

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: nahh lol GPA too low for that.
I was invited to give a talk about my experience being underrepresented in physics by a local org tho! Don't think that counts but it's something :P

- Head of school's women in physics club
- TA for advanced physics labs
- Was in a few different diversity / mental health related committees for the physics dept
- Volunteered w/ local org to teach young'uns about physics through mini experiments
- Basically just did every possible outreach opportunity I could find and talked about them in my personal statements... Making the department less mentally strenuous for all undergrads was hugely important to me and something I want to keep working on in grad school, so hopefully that came across!

Special Bonus Points: Female? Lots of outreach, idk how much my publications will matter since my legit ones are all nth author slots. I know at least one letter is super super strong (from my research p.i) and hoping the other two are good! I think my writers know me pretty well so fingers crossed

Had a really really bad first 2 years of college and a HUGE upward tend in my junior and senior year. Struggled a lot with mental health and thought my life was over after getting incompletes in my classes one semester. BUT I bounced back, got all As my next semester, dove into outreach (the reason all of my ECs were so focused on improving the department for others) and finished college on a good note. Didn't get into all the details in my essays, but did my best to explain the incompletes + why I cared so much about outreach.

Applying to Where:
Mega reach (basically paid a bunch of $ for rejection letters)
Harvard - QSE:
MIT - Physics, QI / CME: (Feb 8 )
Princeton - Physics, CME: (Feb 11)
Columbia - Physics, CME:
Yale - Applied physics, CME: (Feb 9)
Stanford - Applied Physics, CME:
Berkeley - Physics, CME:
UChicago - Applied physics, CME: (Jan 28)
UCSB - Physics, QI / CME:

Still reach
Cornell - Applied physics, CME:
University of Washington - Physics, QI / CME:
Maryland - Physics, CME:

Praying I get into one of these
Rochester - Physics, CME:
Boston University - Physics, QI / CME: (Feb 8 )
UC Santa Cruz - Applied physics, CME: (interview Feb 9)
NYU - Physics, QI / CME:

Good luck to everyone!! Applied to so many schools bc I was terrified my low GPA would mean I'd get in nowhere. Hoping for at least one, but we shall see :shock:
Last edited by Em-c-squared on Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

achyuta

Post by achyuta » Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:11 am

Undergrad Institution: Top Indian Institute
GPA in Major: 9.0/10.0
Overall GPA: 9.0/10.0
Length of Degree: 5 yrs
Position in Class: Not known
Type of Student: international male

TOEFL (R:28, L:29, S:28, W:29)

Research Experience:
2 years of part-time research experience, 1 year-long full-time Master's Thesis, and one summer project. All in CMT. No publications

Got good rank in one of the national exams

Co-ordinator of one of the student cultural clubs

Applying to Where ( In order of Preference) :

1. Yale University Rejected Jan 09
2. Northwestern University Rejected April 07
3. Duke University Rejected Feb 24
4. Penn State University Rejected April 08
5. Ohio State University Accepted April 14 ( University Fellowship $30,000 per year) WILL ATTEND!
6. Boston University Rejected March 09
7. University of Massachusetts, Amherst Accepted Feb 1 ( TA $23,248 for 9 months) Declined
8. University of Washington Rejected March 29
9. Purdue University Rejected March 03
10. Texas A&M University Accepted Feb 10 ( TA $2100 per month for 9 months + $2500 fellowship) Declined
11. University of Rochester Rejected Feb 17
12. University of Notre Dame Accepted Feb 10 ( TA $23,875 for 9 months + $1500 signing bonus) Declined
13. Florida State University Rejected March 22
14. Iowa State University Accepted Feb 18 ( TA $19,125 for 9 months) Declined
Last edited by achyuta on Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:09 am, edited 16 times in total.

bgd99

Post by bgd99 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:12 pm

Undergrad Institution: Smallish Research School with medium sized physics department (graduate about 20-30 physics majors per year)
Major(s): Math and Physics (1 major, not a double major)
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.83
Overall GPA: 3.739
Position in Class: About mid by GPA and major

GRE Scores: None

Research Experience:

2 years of CMP theory research at my school (1 paper as second author)
1 REU Program in CMP theory (plan to present at APS March meeting)
1 year as a research assistant in a Solar Panel Lab (1 paper for a conference as like the 8th author or something like that)
1 Summer of electrochemical research at Argonne (1 paper as first author that is unpublished because my mentor wanted to wait to publish as a series of papers from his lab :x )

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: University Scholarship (just a standard scholarship my school gives out to most students that get in on merit)

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Lots of leadership positions in several clubs at my school, but none relating to physics

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Not that I can think of

Special Bonus Points: Ohio State seems to accept a disproportionately high proportion of applicants from my school, I think there might be some connections involved I don't know about

Applying to Where:

Colorado State - Physics - CMP experimental or theory ( Accepted )
Northwestern - Physics - CMP experimental or theory (Rejected on the final day of decisions)
Ohio State - Physics - CMP experimental or theory (January 20th: ACCEPTED for Ph.D via website)
Penn State - Physics - CMP experimental or theory ( Accepted - Chose to attend )
University of Wisconsin - Physics - CMP experimental or theory - (January 28th: ACCEPTED for Ph.D via email, unclear if I will get TA ($23,000/9months) or RA ($30,000/12months)
UC Irvine - Physics - CMP experimental or theory (Rejected)
UC Riverside - Physics - CMP experimental or theory (February 10th: ACCEPTED for Ph.D via email + Chancellors Distinguished Fellowship)
UC San Diego - Physics - CMP experimental or theory ( Accepted )
University of Illinois Urbana Champaign - Physics - CMP experimental or theory (Rejected)
University of Washington - Physics - CMP experimental or theory (Rejected)

I kinda hate this forum cause it gives me anxiety, but hopefully this post will be helpful to a few people. Best of luck everyone!

Editing this post, and I forgot many of the dates I was accepted or rejected.
Last edited by bgd99 on Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.

QueerKutta

Post by QueerKutta » Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:07 pm

Undergrad Institution: Top University in South East Asia
Minor(s): Mathematics
GPA in Major: School doesn't provide
Overall GPA: 4.85/5.0 (for schools applied in late December/ January) 4.83/5.0 (for schools applied to in early December)
Position in Class: School doesn't provide
Type of Student: International non-binary person

GRE Scores:
Verbal : 161
Quant: 167
Essay: 4.5
Physics: 930

TOEFL: (R: 27 , L: 30 , S: 30 , W: 29 )

Research Experience:
1)Worked on Heisenberg spins arranged on a triangular lattice with antisymmetric interaction employing Monte-Carlo methods for an year
2)Worked on Quantum Friction for over an year. Still working on the final draft of the paper.
3)Working on Quantum Thermodynamics for Senior Thesis. Won a small award for presenting my initial results for the project under a summer research programme at my university department
No publications yet though :(

Won a small award for presenting my summer research project in Quantum Thermodynamics (which later continued into my senior thesis)

TA for lab for a semester
Lab Demonstrator for another semester
Peer Tutor : basically tutor juniors in physics and people from engineering taking physics courses if they need help and got paid from school for it

N/A

Special Bonus Points:
LGBTQ+ ? Non-binary and Gay?

N/A

Applying to Where:

PhD
Caltech - Physics - CMT/QI (Rejected on Feb 10 via email)
U Chicago - Astronomy and Astrophysics (Rejected on Feb 2 via portal)
UC Berkeley - Physics -QI/CMT (Rejected on 28 Feb
UCSB - Physics - Astrophysics/Cosmology
U Maryland CP - Physics - QI/CMT
U Colorado - Physics - QI/CMT (Rejected on Feb 28 via portal) :(
Stony Brook -Physics - QI/CMT (Rejected for PhD, accepted for MA)
UCLA - Physics - Cosmology and Astroparticle physics
Cornell - Astronomy -

(I just can't make up my mind which subfield of physics I want to do.)

Masters
Cambridge (Part III Applied Mathematics)
Oxford
PSI
ANU
U Chicago - MS-PSD
Imperial College London
Last edited by QueerKutta on Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:15 am, edited 7 times in total.

rustyDingo

Post by rustyDingo » Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:39 am

Undergrad Institution: International school Oceania (English speaking), top 30 in astronomy/physics
Major(s): Physics and Mathematics
Minor(s): -
Position in Class: Unranked classes

GRE Scores: NO GRE REQUIRED FOR THIS YEAR

TOEFL: (R: , L: , S: , W: ) N/A

Research Experience: 4 conferences, 2nd author paper, nth author paper, first author in prep. 3.5 years as a paid RA in statistics/mathematics/astronomy.

Special Bonus Points: 4 grad classes taken in final year. 3 years TA experience

Applying to Where: All for astronomy PhD

Cambridge [Interview 26th Jan] [Feb. 2: Acceptance from department]
Oxford [Interview 8th Feb]
Durham

UCSB [Interview 30th Jan] [Feb. 10: Acceptance from department]
UC Santa Cruz
Caltech
Harvard [Rejected]
Princeton [Interview 12th Jan] [Accepted, $48,000 per year]
Stanford
Yale [Interview 31st Jan]
University of Washington [Interview 26th Jan] [waitlisted, would love to attend]
MIT [Rejected]
UC Berkeley
Last edited by rustyDingo on Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:11 am, edited 15 times in total.

gray11247

Post by gray11247 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:09 pm

Undergrad Institution: Small, liberal arts school. No strength in physics but strong reputation with graduate schools in general.
Major(s): Physics, Art
GPA in Major: 3.89
Overall GPA: 3.92
Position in Class: N/A
Type of Student: Domestic (U.S.) nonbinary

Research Experience: REU at nearby state school in nuclear physics/machine learning ('20) (abstract published through conference), SURF at Cal\tech in planetary science (senior thesis) ('21), continuing to research with Caltech PI during school year.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Multiple school-based awards. I am the standout student in my department.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: TA for multiple level physics courses, grader for physics and math courses. SPS President

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Student advisor for physics and engineering (chosen by departments), founder of SPS-related physics club

Special Bonus Points: LGBT, focus on encouraging diversity

Applied to:
MIT - EAPS
CU Boulder - APS
Northern Arizona University (priority deadline) - Astro and Planetary - Interview Jan 10
University of Arizona - Planetary
Boston University - Astro
Caltech - GPS
UCLA - EPSS
UCSC - EPS
Harvard - EPS
Purdue (attended early visit program) - EAPS

Halphys

Post by Halphys » Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:01 am

Undergrad Institution: Famous domestically but maybe lesser-known globally
Overall GPA: 3.87/4
Length of Degree: 6 years (4 Bachelor years and 2 Master years)
Position in Class: Top
Type of Student: International (from Asia)

GRE Scores: (Best Score)
Q: 169/170
V: 137/170 Random guess is better than me :lol:
W: 3.5/6.0
Only reported the University of Illinois at Chicago.

TOEFL: (My Best Score: R:27, L:28, S:24, W:26)
The submitted scores fluctuate due to the required minimum.

Research Experience:
Master Thesis, 3 research projects (papers are still in progress), 3 conference talks in the domestic physical society

3 awards within my university

TA for 2 years, Tutor for junior high school and high school students for 8 years

Silver Prize in the International Theoretical Physics Olympiad
Numerical skills in Mathematica (most of the calculations in my current projects are my contribution)

Special Bonus Points:
Some professors were my recommenders' colleagues.
I got full marks in my current graduate school entrance exam, and one of my recommenders would mention it in his letter.

Honestly, I am currently in the second year of a Ph.D. course and intend to transfer to the US graduate school.

Applying to Where

High Energy Physics and Condensed Matter Theory

(Donation)
(4) University of Chicago - Rejection (Jan. 29)
(3) Harvard University - Rejection (Feb. 18)

(Reach)
(5) University of Texas at Austin -
(3) University of Washington - Rejection (Mar. 30)
(3) Purdue University - Acceptance (Feb. 21)
Fortunately, I have at least two options! :D

(Match)
(5) University of Illinois at Chicago - Acceptance (Jan. 26)
I thought my low verbal score of GRE decreased the odds, but that was not the case!

(5) University of Alabama - Interview (Jan. 5) - Declined
(4) Arizona State University -

(3) City University New York - Interview Offer (Feb. 6) - Declined
This is because UIC has already accepted me.
I hope that other excellent students gain acceptance!

(n) is the strength of matching in the view of research topics: (0) Nonsense ----- Perfect (5)

Introspection and Advice for Future Applicants:

(1) Focus on getting ONE acceptance!
Polish your requirements again and again.
Cast a wide net; don't persist to only top schools.
Connections help a lot.
Send an email to your future supervisors a few months before you apply.
Some research groups especially supported by military budgets, accept few international students.

(2) Rejects don't mean the denial of your efforts.
The number of rejected people is much larger than accepted ones.
Don't take it personally.
On the other hand, it must also be essential to retrospect your submitted material after receiving results.
It would contradict the former statement, but it is also true.

(3) Never say die!
Some universities excuse the competitive application process to reject a bunch of applications, and some applicants also complain that it's just a lottery machine.
Indeed, that's partially true, but life is full of uncertainties (studying modern physics is also the case, isn't it?).

Julius Caesar said, "The die is cast (iacta alea est)," according to the established theory.
However, some people assert that he actually said, "Let the die be cast (iacta alea esto)."

Hindsight is 20/20. There are many unexpected situations, e.g., recession due to the COVID-19; however, now we must make a decision with the best efforts.

Please feel free to ask some questions in Private Messages!
Last edited by Halphys on Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:49 am, edited 5 times in total.

guanzi

Post by guanzi » Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:49 pm

Undergrad Institution: Top in Asia, nice reputation
Minor(s): Data Science
GPA in Major: 3.9+
Overall GPA: not provided
Length of Degree: 4yrs
Position in Class: near top
Type of Student: international male

GRE Scores: V166Q170AW3.5PGRE990

TOEFL: (R:29 , L: 29, S: 21, W: 26)

Research Experience: 2yrs at the home institute in CME, nth author pub in median journal

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: equivalent to nothing

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: none

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: have many collaborations during undergrad research at the home institute - contribute to my reference letters

Special Bonus Points: advisor has moderate connections with some of the professors I applied to, but I do not have personal connections, recommender is not famous but young...

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: showed passion in research? I am not sure I really showed that in my profile...

Applying to Where:
(physics - CME if not noted)

Donation:
MIT (Feb 8th rejected via email
Berkeley (Mar 2nd rejected via email
Stanford (applied physics) (Mar 18th rejected via three emails
Caltech (Feb 10th rejected via email

Harvard (fee waived though I don't know why, so it's not donation :D (Interviewed (Feb 11th Accepted via email :D ypa!
Will Attend!!!

High Reach
Penn state ( Feb. 5th Accepted via email (declined
UIUC (Mar 3rd Rejected via email
Michigan ann arbor (Feb 3rd Accepted via email (declined
Upenn (Interviewed (Mar 1st Accepted via email (declined

Reach
Johns Hopkins (Mar 2nd rejected via email
UT Austin (Feb 8th invited to open house (withdraw
U Washington (Feb 18th Accepted via email (decline
Stony Brook (Mar 6th Rejected to PhD but accepted to Master (decline

Safe
Michigan State (Jan 28th Accepted via email (declined
Rice (Feb 26th Accepted via email (declined
Iowa state (withdraw
Florida state (withdraw
Florida (Jan 26th Accepted via email (declined

MSc:
U British Colombia (Jan 20th Accepted via email (declined
ETH (Mar 11th Accepted in portal (declined

I really do not know why it goes that well, I thought UF is my best shot before applying..
Never dreamed about that! I just apply for Harvard because the fee is waived..
So, guys, never give it up before the result comes out! How do you know you won't make it without even trying?

Please feel free to contact me in private message!
Last edited by guanzi on Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:48 am, edited 21 times in total.

physics62442

Post by physics62442 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:05 pm

Undergrad Institution: ivy, very good physics reputation
GPA in Major: 4.241/4.0 (I guess this reveals the school...)
Overall GPA: 4.114/4.00
Position in Class: probably top or near top?
Type of Student: international Indian female

GRE Scores: 970 on pGRE

Research Experience:
1 summer+2 semesters at my school in theoretical astrophysics, led to co-author on two papers in ApJ.
1 summer+2 semesters at Caltech in theoretical astrophysics, GR heavy. Led to first author paper submitted to MNRAS. Also multiple conference talks.
1 summer (and ongoing) in string theory and cosmology at my school for my senior thesis.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Full financial aid scholarship awarded to very few Indian students, Phi Beta Kappa, a research scholarship that I used to fund my last summer of research, Caltech SURF, a math prize at my school

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Tutored for a few of my undergrad years, UTA'ed two classes, involved in diversity and outreach stuff with the SPS.

Special Bonus Points: All my research experiences for all summers were funded (not sure if that counts as a bonus). Was the top student in the grad EM class I took junior year (professor is well known in my field and wrote me a recommendation). My senior thesis advisor (who also wrote me a letter) is very well known in my field too. Also took QFT and a topics course about what I want to work on (detailed below). Had A+'s in all except 2 physics classes.

Applying to Where: All for hep-th (in particular quantum gravity, quantum information, conformal field theory, holography, and applications in black hole physics and cosmology)
Harvard - Feb 18 Rejected
Princeton - Feb 11 Rejected
Stanford - Feb 25 Accepted
MIT - Feb 7 Accepted
Caltech - Jan 31 Accepted
Berkeley - Feb 25 Accepted
UCSB - March 14 Rejected
UChicago - Jan 28 Accepted w/ Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar Fellowship
UIUC - Jan 27 Accepted w/ Illinois Physics Excellence Fellowship Declined
UCLA - March 22 Rejected
UPenn - March 14 Rejected
Last edited by physics62442 on Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:30 pm, edited 12 times in total.

Givingupguy

Post by Givingupguy » Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:17 pm

Undergrad Institution: Top Canadian
GPA in Major: 3.96
Overall GPA: 3.94
Position in Class: probably top.
Type of Student: International White Male

Masters Institution: Top Canadian
Length of Degree: 2 years

Research Experience: 4 years research experience in QI and CMT. 1 paper published (2nd author), 2 under review (1st author), 3 more first authors in prep. 1 Conference talk. Almost all my research experience was full time.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Deans list

Special Bonus Points: Many grad classes.
I've also got a patent for certain quantum simulator which may help for QSE but is useless at any other school.

Applying to Where: All CMT & QI focus. I got no interviews from anywhere.
Yale - Physics - Rejected Feb 9th via email to check portal
Harvard - Quantum Science and Engineering -Rejected Feb 22 via email
Chicago - Physics -Rejected Jan 28th via email
MIT -Physics - Rejected Feb 8 via email
Caltech - Physics -Rejected Feb 9th via email
Princeton - Physics -Rejected Feb 11th via email to check portal
Stanford - Physics - Rejected Feb. 25 via email
Cornell - Physics -
Berkeley - Physics -
University of Toronto - Physics - ACCEPTED Feb 13th via unofficial email from department
Columbia - Physics -
UCSB - Physics -
UIUC - Physics -
Georgia Tech - Physics - ACCEPTED Feb 7th via email to check portal. 31K per year for 5 semesters (no healthcare) +5.5k Fellowship
Maryland - Physics - ACCEPTED Feb 3rd via official email with offered $38k per year for 5 years (Wow JQI fellowship is pretty nice :D )

advice:
While my profile may seem pretty good, it turns out having older well known supervisors is more important than actual research output. The only way to get around this is to have your work actually published, under review is not enough, in prep is worthless. Even if it's in prep or under-review for a really good journal, at that point it's just RNG.

I got lucky though because JQI has amazing people and for my specialization is probably better than anywhere except Harvard, MIT, Caltech and maybe UCSB (but the person I wanted to work with there isn't accepting students).
Last edited by Givingupguy on Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:52 pm, edited 49 times in total.

darthweber

Post by darthweber » Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:47 pm

Undergrad Institution: Large State school, strong reputation in physics, particularly my subfield
Minor(s): Computational Science, Music
Overall GPA: 3.97
Position in Class: Not Ranked
Type of Student: Domestic Male

GRE Scores:

Q: 163
V: 163
W: 5.5
P: None

Research Experience: 8 semesters + summers of part time research on a few projects, one of which became collaborative with a PI from another institution after I met them at a conference. One conference talk and a poster, first author manuscript ready to submit within a few weeks.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Dean's List all semesters, an endowed Fellowship from my Physics department in my last year. Some other university-wide scholarships and a National Merit Scholarship.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: TA for two semesters + tutoring

Special Bonus Points: Lots of experience with machine learning. Multi-institutional Letters of Rec from very established scientists in my subfield.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Met with some potential PIs at conferences/on my own throughout the last semester. Letter writers have lots of connections in a few of the departments I'm applying to.

All applications are for Nuclear Experiment PhD programs.

North Carolina State University - Accepted via application portal, 01/19 (Declined - PI I wanted to work with told me they don't have funding for a new PhD student)

University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill - Accepted via email 02/21 (9 month TA + guaranteed summer support) Declined

Louisiana State University - Accepted via email 02/05 (1/2 TA/RA) Declined

Florida State University - Accepted via email from nuclear faculty, 01/24, official acceptance 02/11 (TA + Departmental nomination for a Legacy Fellowship/Dirac Developing Researcher Scholarship for first year) Declined

University of Notre Dame - Physics - Accepted via email, 01/19 (9 Month TA + Signing Bonus + Arthur J. Schmitt Leadership Fellowship in Science and Engineering) Will Attend
Last edited by darthweber on Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:11 pm, edited 8 times in total.

virginiadude

Post by virginiadude » Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:06 am

Undergrad Institution: Large state school, good physics reputation
Major(s): Physics and Astronomy, Russian
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.94
Class: Near top
Type of Student: Domestic, male, white

GRE Scores: Nah :lol:
TOEFL: Nah brah :lol:

Research Experience:
2 years in observational cosmology, including 1 summer (ongoing)
1 REU in radio astronomy (+ongoing)
4 talks (one in person and rest remote),
1 poster presentation
No publications (yet)

REU (national)
NASA Space Grant summer research award (within school)
Sigma Pi Sigma (national, but possibly irrelevant)

Volunteered at a local planetarium until COVID hit

2x startup pitching competition winner (within school)
Russian essay 2nd place nationally
Russian language competition top prize (regional)
Full tuition scholarship for undergrad (within school)
National Merit Scholar (national)

Special Bonus Points:
1 graduate level astronomy class (taught by advisor)
Experience with supercomputing

SPS member
Outdoors club leadership

Applying to Where:
Masters/MPhil:
University of Cambridge - Astronomy - Observational Cosmology Jan. 26: Interview Feb. 2: Unofficial acceptance from department via email. Feb. 23: Official acceptance email. March 9: Acceptance to Churchill College, no word on funding yet.
Université de Montréal - Physics - Observational Cosmology Note: Late recommendation letter. March 1: Received email indicating partial tuition scholarship ($9.8k CAD/year) March 4: Official acceptance, financial details to come… Final update: received financials on March 28 after inquiry (full tuition + $23k CAD stipend), will attend!

PhD:
University of Toronto - Astrophysics - Observational Cosmology Mar. 14: Rejected via email to check portal after inquiry
University of Chicago - Astrophysics - Observational Cosmology Jan. 12: Interview Feb. 2: Rejected via email/portal
University of Pennsylvania - Physics and Astronomy - Observational Cosmology Jan. 19: Interview Mar. 14: Rejected via email to check portal after inquiry Mar. 18: Re-waitlisted via email (how bizarre! But also nice)
Rutgers - Physics and Astronomy - Observational Cosmology Jan. 25: Interview Feb. 1: Waitlisted via email :shock: Update: List hasn’t moved as of March 14.
Princeton - Physics - Observational Cosmology Feb. 11: Rejected via email to check portal (surprise surprise)
Johns Hopkins - Physics and Astronomy - Observational Cosmology March 1: Rejected via email (“top 25%”)
Carnegie Mellon - Physics and Astronomy - Observational Cosmology Feb. 24: Rejected via email to check portal

Reflection:
First of all, do NOT give up on getting an acceptance letter….it may come unexpectedly after many rejections. Also, make contact with a potential PI AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE, the only places I was accepted/waitlisted at were places where I contacted the PI, and Montreal was my earliest contact. It’s a weird system (and prone to overloading profs with too many requests, I would think…) but it seems to be how it works for now. Applying to masters programs, especially outside the US, is generally a good idea as it diversifies your odds a bit. Getting a paper published or at least preprint before applying would have improved my odds quite a bit, but alas I was unable to get it done in time. However, you can still get in somewhere without a publication, just don’t expect multiple acceptances and invitations to tour campus. Good luck to everyone!
Last edited by virginiadude on Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:20 pm, edited 20 times in total.

Stephen8686

Post by Stephen8686 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:46 am

Undergrad Institution: Private Institution, Mediocre Physics Reputation
Major(s): Optics BS, Physics BA
Overall GPA: 3.9
Position in Class: top 10% ish
Type of Student: dwm

GRE Scores:
Q: 168 (89%)
V: 165 (91%)
W: 5

Research Experience: 1 year of research in quantum optics. No publications yet

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Sigma Pi Sigma member?

Worked as an optical engineer intern for two different companies.
Active SPS and OSA member

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Volunteer at cat shelters, my greatest accomplishment

Special Bonus Points: Have taken lots of graduate courses, rec. letter authors have connections at some of the schools

Applying to Where:

ETH Zurich - physics MSc
Boulder - physics phd
UMD - physics phd
Wisconsin - physics phd - Rejected Via Email (Jan 30)
Northwestern - physics MSc
Purdue - ECE MSc
UIUC - physics phd
UCF - optics MSc accepted Feb 4. Fellowship pending
Penn State - physics phd
Last edited by Stephen8686 on Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

melilly

Post by melilly » Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:47 pm

Undergrad Institution: Mediocre R2 state university, >100 in physics
Major(s): Physics, Computer Science
GPA in Major: 4.0 in rqd classes
Overall GPA: 3.95
Position in Class: above average
Type of Student: domestic white female

GRE Scores: Did not submit pgre to any schools; gre: 169 verbal, 170 quant, 5 writing

Research Experience: projects in biophysics, theoretical black holes, pulsars, simulated white dwarfs, and computer science education. Plenty of poster/oral presentations, 2 not-first-author publications from the CS education project
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: scholarships from college and department, outstanding student awards
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: software engineer, tutor, TA for a semester
Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: efforts in STEM outreach, two internships in astrophysics
Special Bonus Points: Rec letters are from two of the grad schools I'm applying to. Double major in CS means I have substantial programming experience
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: was nominated by my school for Goldwater but was rejected

Targeting research in computational astrophysics
Applying to Where:

University of Chicago - Physics Jan 28: Rejected via portal
Stony Brook University - Physics Jan 11: Interview request via email Feb 2: Accepted via portal Offered 24K TA + 10k sign-on bonus
Stanford University - Physics Feb 25: Rejected via email
Yale University - Physics Feb 9: Rejected via portal
Johns Hopkins University - Physics Mar 1: Rejected via email
Last edited by melilly on Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:55 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Sevin117

Post by Sevin117 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:46 pm

Undergrad Institution: Top 10 public school
Major(s): physics

GPA in Major: 3.7
Overall GPA: 3.8
Length of Degree: 5 years (3 years at community college)
Position in Class: Near top
Type of Student: Domestic male

Research Experience:
Exp. Condensed Matter REU sophomore year
Computational materials REU junior year
2 years with condensed matter theory (CMT) group at my Uni
2 published papers, one as first author

Small Research Grant
University President Scholarship

Physics tutor with campus
Volunteer heavily

Special Bonus Points: Well known PI, taken 2 graduate courses in specialty

Applying to Where: All for Condensed Matter Theory
Target Schools:
UC Berkeley- Jan 11 via email:ACCEPTED
Harvard- submitted
Columbia - Feb 1 via email: Rejected
Princeton - Jan 20 via email: ACCEPTED

Match Schools:
UC Davis - submitted
UC Irvine - Jan 20 via email: ACCEPTED with Chancellor's Fellowship
Rutgers, Newark - Jan 20 via email: ACCEPTED
Mizzou - Jan 21 via email: ACCEPTED
Last edited by Sevin117 on Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wgxli

Post by wgxli » Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:52 pm

Undergrad Institution: Canadian R1 university
Major(s): Mathematics, Physics
GPA in Major: 4.000
Overall GPA: 4.000
Position in Class: Near top
Type of Student: International Asian Male (Canadian citizen)

Research Experience: No publications. ~16 months research in AMO experiment

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Many top awards

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Officer in physics and mathematics student unions

Special Bonus Points: QFT, Quantum Optics, Condensed Matter grad courses. Many math graduate courses.

Applying to Where:
All Physics PhD, AMO Experiment
University of Maryland - Accepted via email 02/03 JQI Graduate Student Fellow ($38k RA). Declined.
Princeton - Interview 01/12 went ok. Accepted via email 02/08. $48k first-year stipend + PQI Graduate Fellowship (3-year, no TA/RA). Will attend! Committed 04/05.
Harvard - Accepted via email 02/10 Declined 04/05.
Caltech - Accepted via email 01/31 $39k fellowship (first year) + RA. No interview. Declined.
UC Boulder - Accepted via email 02/01. $3000 fellowship (first year) + $7000 Chair's Fellowship (first year) + TA/RA. Declined.
MIT - Interview 01/17 went very well. Accepted via email 02/07 Declined 04/05.
University of Toronto - Accepted via email 02/15 Declined.

Clean sweep!

---------------------

In my opinion (may be specific to AMO experiment):
- Research is the most important. After talking to the graduate committee at MIT/Princeton/Harvard, nobody has ever been admitted without research experience. A few people are admitted with only theory research experience, if you want to switch to experiment.
- Publications don't matter that much. I had none.
- Recommendation letters are second-most important. At least one of these should come from your PI. I had very strong recommendation letters (one from the math department, two from physics).
- Grades are irrelevant as long as they are above threshold.
- Statement of purpose is irrelevant, unless your application is borderline.
- Canadian applications are essentially treated as domestic US. Applications from other countries are at a disadvantage.

Choosing where to attend (in order of importance):
- You need to get along very well with the other graduate students. You will spend 90% of your time with them.
- Pick a city you can see yourself living in for 5 years. Food and atmosphere is important.
- You need to get along with the PI.
- You need to truly love the experiment and where it's going. You're going to be spending more than half your life for over 5 years on it.
- The PI's track record of publications is mildly important.
- Amount of lab funding. As long as it's not constraining the research, it's fine.
- The "brand name" of the group.
- The "brand name" of the school.
Last edited by wgxli on Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:37 pm, edited 19 times in total.

zivarus

Post by zivarus » Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:16 pm

Undergrad Institution: One of the best in my country
Minor(s): Music Performance
Overall GPA: 3.79
Position in Class: don't know
Type of Student: International white male.

GRE Scores: NO GRE REQUIRED FOR THIS YEAR (WE ALL KNOW WHAT HAPPENED).

TOEFL: (R: 24, L: 28, S: 24, W: 30)

Research Experience: 2.5+ years of research experience in CMT. 2 international summer internships + 1 summer internship at my own institute + UG researcher for 2+ years. nth author publication in condensed matter (another one is on the way).

Special Bonus Points: Took 3 grad courses (2 of them in CMT) and currently taking 1 grad course in CMT. One of my recommenders is well-known in the field. I have contacted 7/12 professors beforehand.

Applying to Where:

Yale - Physics - CMT -- [Interview Jan. 10] REJECTED via email Feb. 09
UIUC - Physics - CMT -- REJECTED via email Mar. 03
Institut Polytechnique de Paris - Physics PhD Track - CMT -- [Interview Feb. 25 Went very well][ACCEPTED via portal Mar. 23. This was my top choice so I'm pretty excited!!! ][WILL ATTEND: full funding with 10k€/year for the first 2 years. PhD salary for the next 3 years]
University of Chicago - Physics - CMT -- REJECTED via website Jan. 25 (no email)
Cornell - Physics - CMT -- REJECTED via email Mar. 03
University of Michigan at Ann Arbor - Physics - CMT -- REJECTED via the most generic email Feb. 8 (what??? PI was super enthusiastic when I contacted him.)
University of Washington - Physics - CMT -- REJECTED via mail
UT Austin - Physics - CMT -- -- Awaiting rejection (did not get invite to Open House)
Boston University - Physics - CMT -- REJECTED via mail
Penn State - Physics - CMT -- REJECTED via mail
Rutgers University at New Brunswick - Physics - CMT -- REJECTED via portal Feb. 28
Rutgers University at Newark - Physics - CMT -- [Interview with POI Feb. 7, concluded as an acceptance][DECLINED]
Last edited by zivarus on Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:42 pm, edited 11 times in total.

quarksngluons

Post by quarksngluons » Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:41 am

Undergrad Institution: Small school in Pennsylvania, not too well known for physics
GPA in Major: 3.6
Overall GPA: 3.7
Length of Degree: 4-year degree (However I'm graduating in 3)
Position in Class: Probably towards the top? 80th percentile?
Type of Student: Domestic male

GRE Scores: (V: 154, Q: 153, A: 4.0)

TOEFL: n/a

Research Experience: I have 2 years of research in the field of high energy nuclear physics at my home institution. I have given one oral presentation and one poster presentation of my findings at the APS DNP annual fall meeting over zoom. Primarily worked with algorithms in python.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Dean's List, Sigma Pi Sigma member, Merit Scholarship (50% tuition), Magna cum laude, departmental honors (physics and chem department)

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: I am a peer tutor in math and physics courses as well as a physics recitation leader and lab TA.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: I added that I am in a band that has over 15,000 streams if that helps.

Special Bonus Points: I have close connections at two of the schools I am applying to, and I have taken 2 graduate-level courses (math methods for physicists and introduction to neural networks in python).

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: I transferred schools in Jan 2020.

Applying to Where: (All Ph.D. programs)

Boston University - Astrophysics
UC Boulder - Astrophysics
Northeastern - Astrophysics
NYU - Astrophysics
The Ohio State - High Energy Particle Physics
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute - High Energy Particle Physics
Wake Forest - High Energy Particle Physics - Rejected via email to check portal
Temple University - High Energy Particle Physics - [Interviewed on 02/09]

Hopefully, I can get into some of these schools. I'll be really bummed if I don't get into any, I'm worried my GPA isn't high enough and my school isn't well known, but fingers crossed!!
Last edited by quarksngluons on Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CosmoCat

Post by CosmoCat » Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:22 am

Undergrad Institution: Top LATAM Public School
Major(s): Astronomy and Physics
Overall GPA: 6.1 and 6.2 out of 7 (that would be a 4.0)
Position in Class: 1st Astronomy and 4th Physics
Type of Student: International female, proud latina yeeeees

Currently doing a MSc in Physics at same home university and visiting other in Germany

GRE Scores: Took it, did not submit them
TOEFL: (R: 27, L: 29, S: 28, W: 25)

Research Experience:
I've been doing observational cosmology research at my school directly under three years. Not published yet, but will get a first author paper soon.

National Scholarship from home country for MSc
Fulbright Scholarship
Outstanding student every year
PAVES Studentship to visit Stanford
DAAD scholarship to do research in Germany

I do a lot of stuff, including scientific outreach in Spanish (appeared on TV multiple times, interviews, etc.) and I am an athlete

A lot hehe, I was born next to a telescope huhu
One recommendation letter was from someone known in the observational cosmology field in the US

Applying to Where: (all Cosmology)

Princeton - Astrophysics - Rejected 04/02
U Chicago - Astronomy - Interviewed 12/01, Waitlisted 29/01
U Washington - Astronomy - Interviewed 27/01, Accepted 02/02
Columbia - Astronomy - Rejected 18/02
U Arizona - Astronomy - Got an offer from Physics. I am happy with that too - Accepted in Physics without interview 17/02
Stanford - Physics - Accepted without interview 25/02 WTFFFFFFFF :O
Pennsylvania - Physics - Interviewed 19/01, Rejected 18/03
UC Berkeley - Astronomy - Rejected 15/02
Carnegie Mellon - Physics - Accepted without interview 18/02
NYU - Physics - Rejected 11/03
Duke University - Physics - Accepted without interview 28/01
Stony Brook U - Physics - Accepted without interview 24/02
Rutgers U - Physics - Interviewed 26/01, Waitlisted 02/02, Declined
Ohio State University - Astronomy -
Last edited by CosmoCat on Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:12 am, edited 11 times in total.

robertplantpomelo

Post by robertplantpomelo » Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:26 pm

Undergrad Institution: liberal arts college in the US, good reputation in physics.
Major(s): Physics, Philosophy, Studio Art.
GPA in Major: 3.98
Length of Degree: 4 years.
Position in Class: no ranking available.
Type of Student: International Asian male.

TOEFL: (R: , L: , S: , W: ) N/A

Research Experience: all research done in home institution and funded by the department. No publication, no conference presentation, etc.
One summer in HEP-th on baryogenesis; one semester in cosmology on structure formation.
One summer in CME on ultrafast laser and UED, which extends into the year as my senior thesis.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Dean's list.
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: TA'ed all major track physics courses. I'm also a writing center tutor, and an on-campus bike shop mechanic.

Special Bonus Points: probably received strong letters of recommendation.
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: N/A

Applying to Where:
I mainly applied to ultrafast science. Depending on the school, it could be AMO, CME, or standalone ultrafast science. In some cases, it could also be the engineering program. I applied to Ph.D. programs in all US institutions, and M.Sc. in the Canadian institution.

Reach
Stanford - Applied Physics - ultrafast science Feb 26: ACCEPTED via email, 48k RA.
UC Berkeley - Physics - CME Mar 1: REJECTED on portal.
UChicago - PME - QSE Jan 10: PI interview request via email; Jan 17: ACCEPTED unofficially via email from PI; Jan 25: ACCEPTED on portal, 40k TA/RA + 1k relocation + 1k fellowship.
Harvard - Physics - CME Feb 18: REJECTED on portal.
MIT - Physics - CME Feb 8: REJECTED via email from AdCom.

Match
CU Boulder - Physics - AMO Jan 14: ACCEPTED on portal, 36-38k TA/RA + 3k signing bonus; Feb 1: selected for 7k Chair's Fellowship.
UMD at College Park - Physics - AMO Feb 2: ACCEPTED via email from department, 35k TA/RA. Declined.
Princeton - Physics - CME Feb 11: REJECTED on portal.
U Michigan at Ann Arbor - Physics - CUOS Feb 18: REJECTED via email from AdCom.
U Rochester - Institute of Optics - ultrafast optics Jan 25: ACCEPTED unofficially via email from AdCom chair. Feb 15: ACCEPTED on portal, 33k TA/RA + 2k fellowship. Declined.
Yale - Physics - AMO Jan 12: interview request via email from the department. Feb 9: WAITLISTED on portal. Declined.

Safe
UBC - Physics & Astronomy - CME Jan 1: PI interview request via email; Jan 19: ACCEPTED via email from AdCom chair, 26k (CAD) TA/RA. Declined.
Stony Brook University - Physics - CME Feb 18: ACCEPTED on portal, 22.5 TA/RA + 1.5k fellowship. Declined.
Last edited by robertplantpomelo on Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:23 pm, edited 18 times in total.

LE23

Post by LE23 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:14 pm

Undergrad Institution: Small Liberal Arts (~5 students in my graduating physics class). No reputation.
Major(s): Physics, Electrical Engineering, & Math
Overall GPA: 4.0
Position in Class: Probably ~#1ish

GRE Scores: NA

Research Experience: 1 Summer industry internship in Germany. 1 summer AMO at home institution. 1 summer nuclear theory at home institution. 1 summer HEP with REU. Also took off fall quarter to do full time AMO at NIST. Did part-time research during academic year for most of undergrad too.
One 2nd author publication published. One 2nd author currently under review. One 1st author under review.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Full-ride merit scholarship at my school. Dean's list. Best poster award at a small conference.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Volunteer physics tutor. Some piecemeal TA'ing for physics courses. Nothing Earthshattering.

Special Bonus Points: Expect to have fairly strong letters of recommendation.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Tried to focus on research in my applications since my school isn't that strong academically. Still deciding between experimental nuclear/HEP and AMO, so applied to a variety of programs.

Applying to Where (Sorted by Geography):

University of Washington - Physics (Mar. 29: REJECTED for Ph.D via email)
UC Berkeley - Physics - HEP (Mar. 01: REJECTED for Ph.D via portal)
Caltech - Physics - Nuclear/HEP (Feb. 9: REJECTED for Ph.D via email)
Stanford - Physics - AMO & HEP (Feb. 25: ACCEPTED for Ph.D via email)

UIUC - Physics - Nuclear/HEP (Feb. 2: ACCEPTED for Ph.D via email)
University of Michigan - Physics - Nuclear/HEP -- Interview 1/27 (Feb. 3: ACCEPTED for Ph.D via email)
Michigan State - Physics - Nuclear (Jan. 27: ACCEPTED for Ph.D via email)
Northwestern - Physics - AMO -- Interview 2/7, 2/8 & 2/9 (Feb. 16: ACCEPTED for Ph.D via email)

University of Maryland - Physics - AMO (Feb. 2: ACCEPTED for Ph.D via email)
Stony Brook - Physics - Nuclear (Feb. 2: ACCEPTED for Ph.D via portal)
Yale - Physics - AMO (Feb. 9: REJECTED for Ph.D via portal)
MIT - Physics - Nuclear/HEP -- Interview 1/18 (Feb. 7: ACCEPTED for Ph.D via email)
Harvard - Physics - Nuclear/HEP (Feb. 18: REJECTED for Ph.D via email)
Princeton - Physics - HEP (Feb. 11: REJECTED for Ph.D via portal)
Columbia - Physics - HEP (Mar. 15: REJECTED for Ph.D via portal)
Brown - Physics - HEP (Feb. 5: ACCEPTED for Ph.D via portal)

Was a bit worried about coming from a school with zero reputation. I think my research was able to make up some of the deficiencies though. Also reached out to a couple PI's, which seems to have helped, but not too much correlation between reaching out to PI's and acceptances.

Mar 29: 9 Acceptances - 7 Rejection the final score. Find it pretty funny that UW rejected me given some of my acceptances. All other rejections are understandable imo.
For following year's students, start with applications early and cast a wide net. Applying to 15+ schools is much more doable than for undergrad since the essays are all relatively similar for grad school. Unless you're at the very top or very bottom of the applicant pool, it's pretty subjective whether you get in or not (there are plenty of similar candidates here who got accepted by my rejections and rejected by my acceptances), so you might as well roll the dice as many times as possible!
Feel free to reach out if you have any questions!
Last edited by LE23 on Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:11 pm, edited 13 times in total.

anonymous_CME

Post by anonymous_CME » Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:54 pm

Undergrad Institution: Big State School, solid physics reputation
Major(s): Physics, and a 2nd Liberal Art major
Minor(s): ASL
Overall GPA:3.87
Position in Class: no idea honestly
Type of Student: Domestic white female

Research Experience: 3 years of condensed matter research experience at my home institution. I was lucky to find what I liked early on! In this lab, I have a lot of independence and control over my experiment which I mentioned in my SOP. I did an REU in CME, which was much more computational than what I was used to, but really rounded out my research experience in the field.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Some departmental scholarships, and a couple of leadership awards

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Worked as an Undergraduate TA for 7 classes, and worked as a peer mentor for physics students every spring. I am also a volunteer tutor in the local community.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: President of our gender minorities in physics org, undergraduate rep on a committee evaluating the physics GRE’s use in grad decisions at our school (really fun, and insanely helpful in learning how profs think about a student’s application).

Special Bonus Points: I think all of my LORs were really strong, two of my recommendations were from my research professors, but my third LOR was from a professor that I did not do research with nor take a class with. But I had worked for them as a TA and had a good rapport with them. Just FYI, if people are looking for a good 3rd recommendation. I just took a grad class in spectroscopy, which was taught in the chem department, and in my SOP (when I had space) talked about collaboration throughout disciplines.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: My home institution professor isn’t super well known and runs a decently small lab, so just a reminder that having a prestigious PI isn’t everything. I was also quite worried that I wouldn’t look fully committed to physics because of my 2nd non STEM major, and so I rarely mentioned it.

Applying to Where:
Arizona-Physics-CME- Accepted Feb 2nd
Berkeley-Physics CME- Accepted Feb 25th(again shocked)
CU Boulder-Physics-CME-Accepted Jan 14
Cornell-Applied Physics-CME-Accepted Feb 9
UC Davis-Physics-CME-waitlisted-will decline
Harvard-Applied Physics-CME- Rejected Feb 17
UC Irvine-CHAMP/Physics-CME-Accepted Jan 31
UIUC-Physics-CME-Accepted Feb 2nd-I am still in shock
Northwestern-Applied Physics-CME-Accepted Feb 11
Ohio State-Physics-CME-Accepted Jan 24
Rice- Applied Physics- Accepted Dec 20th- this was the best Christmas present ever

Stanford-Applied Physics-CME-Accepted March 8th
Washington -Physics-CME-Rejected March 29

2/3- I am shocked this is going as well as it is. I had convinced myself that I wouldn’t get in anywhere when I was applying.
3/8- Ummm WOW. If someone had told me this a year ago, I would not have believed them. It feels quite surreal to be going into the decision-making process and to have to say no to any of these schools. Best of luck to everyone!
Last edited by anonymous_CME on Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:15 pm, edited 7 times in total.

IB56

Post by IB56 » Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:39 am

Undergrad Institution: Small Liberal arts institution in US, not so well known for physics
Major(s): Engineering Physics
Minor(s): Mathematics
GPA in Major:3.95
Overall GPA:3.9
Position in Class: Top 2%
Type of Student: International Male

GRE Scores:
V: 154
Q: 169
A: 3.5
(only reported to about 5 universities)

Research Experience:
2 years of research at my institution on Condensed Matter Experiment. Some short projects on Finite Element Analysis using modeling softwares. 1st author for a publication submitted in journal that is not peer-reviewed.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Dean's list every semester. Received Merit Based Scholarship during all years of my undergraduate. Leadership awards from college. Got a merit based scholarship from the department junior and senior year.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Tutored freshman physics for a semester. President of SPS chapter at my institution for a year.

Special Bonus Points: I guess I have strong letters of recommendations.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:Took a Intro to Quantum Computing course online. I have applied to some universities for CMT/QIS.

Applying to Where: (Ph.D. in physics, CMT or CME everywhere)

Super Reach
UChicago- CME-Jan 27: REJECTED via website
UT Austin- CME
Cornell- CME (Mar 17: Rejected via email)
Yale- Applied Physics Feb 9: REJECTED via website
CMU- Computational Physics Feb 23: REJECTED via website
Rice- Applied Physics Feb 15: REJECTED via website

Reach
CWRU -CME- (Feb 4: Interview Request from department) (waitlisted)
VTech -CMT/QIS- (Feb 3: Interview Request from PI) Feb 8: ACCEPTED with TA 21k/9 months
U Pittsburgh- CMT Feb 24: ACCEPTED with TA 9k/semester
Penn State- CMU
Northeastern- CMT

Doable
LSU -CMT- (Feb 2: ACCEPTED via email + 26k TA/RA)
Stevens- CMT/QIS (Feb 15: ACCEPTED via email to check portal, no info about funding yet)
Last edited by IB56 on Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:34 am, edited 5 times in total.