How will an academic suspension affect my application?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

revelent

How will an academic suspension affect my application?

Post by revelent » Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:16 am

I was recently suspended from my undergrad school for 1 quarter. The suspension was due to collaborating on a question on a final. I'll still be graduating on time (had to drop math minor), the suspension isn't notated on my transcript (just doesn't have that quarter listed), and all else is the same. My plan is to directly address the issue in the written portion of my applications to grad schools, and have my research professor talk about the research I did during my suspension in the letter of rec. Does anyone have any idea how much this could affect my chances at getting into grad schools? Here is my info:

Undergrad Institution: Top US public school, top 20 in physics in US News
Major(s): Astrophysics
GPA in Major: 3.887
Upper Level GPA: 3.973
Overall GPA: 3.86
Length of Degree: 4 years
Type of Student: domestic, white, male

Research Experience: Began astrophysics research last June, still working with same group, research professor is Physics Nobel Laureate and is giving me a great letter (and knows about the suspension), hopefully will have a paper started this year before I send my apps in

If anyone has any idea what affect the suspension will have, I'd really appreciate it. Any thoughts or opinions are welcome. Thank you.

cabzx

Re: How will an academic suspension affect my application?

Post by cabzx » Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:07 am

It is possible that you get rejected from some universities due to that. Just make sure to be honest, and if your recommender can attest that you have changed then you may be able to get that obviated.