Advice for a mediocre student

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

CxxJxxYxx

Advice for a mediocre student

Post by CxxJxxYxx » Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:20 pm

Hi all, I am new to this forum, and want to apply for a physics phd. Below is my basic profile, and really want to get some advice about what schools can I get into

Undergrad school: UC Santa Barbara
physics major GPA: 3.8
physics upper division GPA: 3.7
Cumulative GPA: 3.8

GRE: 331 + 3.5
physics GRE: none. (should I take it?)

male Chinese student, no US citizen ship

Research:
1. Quantum calculation oriented, largely DFT. About one year
2. Material lab, making membranes. Half a year
Both don't have, or going to have, any paper published. I only have my lab demos and logs

My interest is in calculation and condensed matter physics, I really don't know what school can I get into. I think I lack research experience. Everyone else in this forum seems to have done so much research in their undergrad.

Schools interested in:
1. UW Seattle (dream school)
2. UIUC
3. Rutgers
4. Duke
5. Maryland
6. Stony Brook

Please give me some advice about the likelihood that I get into these school. Feel free to give me more advice on school selections and application tips.

Barsik

Re: Advice for a mediocre student

Post by Barsik » Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:22 pm

So what are you deciding to do?

plsgetintophd

Post by plsgetintophd » Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:35 pm

If you are trying to go for experimental, as long as you have strong letters of recommendation I would say go for it. Don't listen to @truthchannel

glasscat

Post by glasscat » Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:41 pm

Honestly your profile is not bad at all. UCSB carries a strong reputation which can only help you. My guess would be that the schools you've listed might be a bit of a stretch to get into, but I wouldn't be surprised if you did end up getting into some of them. I'd apply to some safeties if I were you. Sadly I don't know enough about your field to recommend what schools you should apply to.

CxxJxxYxx

Post by CxxJxxYxx » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:28 am

plsgetintophd wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:35 pm
If you are trying to go for experimental, as long as you have strong letters of recommendation I would say go for it. Don't listen to @truthchannel
thank you for your advice. This troll is blocked by the forum

daniela.salvini

Post by daniela.salvini » Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:38 am

Make a great application showing all your interest, enthusiasm, curiosity and wish to learn.
You are hardworking and honest, so do' t call yourself mediocre.
You are a good candidate. If you won' succeed come to Northern Europe. They scream for Physicists and have great working environments. But I am sure you will succeed in the US. Good luck and be enthusiast!