Resources for applying to an REU

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

mcentag

Resources for applying to an REU

Post by mcentag » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:43 pm

Just wanted answers to a couple questions regarding how REU admissions work, as well as create a thread pointing to some resources for applying, since I will be applying for summer 2022 as a junior. If you have been through this process your feedback would be greatly appreciated :)

- To what extent are REU applications like grad school applications? Do they evaluate based on the same qualifications?
- How competitive are the spots? i.e. about how many programs should a typical applicant apply for to have a decent shot of getting into one?
- Are spots preferred for students coming from backgrounds that limit other opportunities for undergrad research (female/URM, small physics dept, etc.)? I'm interested in doing particle theory and go to a decently strong physics program which somehow doesn't have a particle group. A weak shout, I know.

I was only able to find one thread giving comprehensive advice on REU admissions. Unfortunately, it's from over 10 years ago and collapsed into a shitty argument about AA and diversity quotas lol. Many things have happened since then (the Stony Brook REU program stopped, and then re-started, for instance).

Most of my browsing of REU programs is at the NSF site (https://www.nsf.gov/crssprgm/reu/list_r ... ?unitid=69) so where is a good place to look for non-NSF summer research programs, like SURF at Caltech? Or summer research programs abroad?