Internal info of admission this year?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

Nishikata

Internal info of admission this year?

Post by Nishikata » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:57 pm

Does anyone know, based from the conversations with faculty members in your universities, what would be the changes in situation and admission criteria for international students?

We knew that GRE, pGRE are not accepted or at least made optional this year. Most likely, funding is not going to be as large as previous years either.
Conservatively, it is tempting to think that the universities will only make "safe" decisions: admit only those from well-known colleges and those with recommendations from reputable professors. However, that alone would be boring. I suppose they must also realize this and not shut the door completely for those not belonging the mentioned group.

Yet, each university must have a formula on what chances they could take, now that the standardized test scores being out of the picture.
if you have heard some things from your professors, what would be the factor that rises in importance?

IaMkizzz

Re: Internal info of admission this year?

Post by IaMkizzz » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:37 pm

I am a 2021 applicant. From what I knew after several cold-email exchanges with professors I am interested in working with and talking to PI in our lab, other than political atrocity toward international students from certain countries and cancellation of standardized scores, there appeared to be not too much of a change compared to previous years. But this might be only limited to my subfield...

SeannieCosmos

Re: Internal info of admission this year?

Post by SeannieCosmos » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:08 pm

I've had some conversations over email with professors. Nothing seems to have changed on a large scale.

However

Every professor I have connected with who is in a California state school (only Berkeley and Santa Cruz) has mentioned a lot of uncertainty in funding for the next year. They were unsure if they could take on another student. It was four different professors, but it may not be a universal issue. Not really for me to say.