New GRE Policies in the COVID Era

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

zantetsuken

New GRE Policies in the COVID Era

Post by zantetsuken » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:52 am

For the 2021-2022 admissions cycle, it appears many schools are changing several aspects of their PhD admissions policies.

Almost all of them say they will ignore pass/fail choices for the 2020 spring term. Some have made GRE + PGRE optional. Some have said they will not accept nor look at GRE + PGRE at all. There was already momentum in many astro and some physics departments against these tests, anyway.

Has anyone compiled a master list of these changes for all the schools yet? It is very confusing because usually they only update one part of their website so you have to find the one section they've updated and ignore all the old sections that still say they are required. I am working on this right now and will share my results when I'm done. Just wondering if anyone else has already done this.

Second question, what other ways do you and your mentors think the application process will be affected this year?

zantetsuken

Re: New GRE Policies in the COVID Era

Post by zantetsuken » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:06 pm

I guess this thread has it going: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=181765&p=255996#p255996

I have a big list going and will update it eventually for all of you out there wondering.

indigo

Re: New GRE Policies in the COVID Era

Post by indigo » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:10 am

Link from Reddit - (please verify on your own)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... Xbmg#gid=0