Will graduate school request your academic record from your undergrad?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

JudyPig

Will graduate school request your academic record from your undergrad?

Post by JudyPig » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:43 pm

Hi Everyone
I have an academic integrity violation, and that's not show on the transcript. I'm wondering will the graduate school request the academic record from my undergraduate university?
How will this impact the possibility of getting into any level of PhD program?

Appreciate any help.

Nishikata

Re: Will graduate school request your academic record from your undergrad?

Post by Nishikata » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:32 am

They won't do that at the admission process.
However, if you get accepted, they keep your admission file.
If they find out about it sometime in the future, they may retract your admission or your degree.

astroprof

Post by astroprof » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:18 pm

Most graduate schools will require a final transcript from your undergraduate institution (showing that a degree was conferred), but will not request the internal academic record. In other words, "internal" means internal. While academic integrity issues are not to be taken lightly, most Universities consider the first instance of an academic integrity violation as a learning opportunity (we are, after all, institutions of higher *education*). If there are no further instances, then there is no reason to apply further penalties beyond the original sanction, so there is no need to share the internal academic record. However, if the sanction applied is an F in the course, and your academic record is otherwise good, it might be helpful to explain to the admissions committee the anomalous grade and what you have learned from the experience. Also, if there is a box to check on the application form regarding prior instances of academic misconduct, you must check the box and provide an explanation, since providing false information in an application form is another example of academic misconduct.

JudyPig

Post by JudyPig » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:22 pm

Thank you so much. The grade of that course is D. If I checked the box of that instances, does that mean I definitely need to explain that in the PS? Besides, what if the violation in academic record expire after several years, at that time can I not check it? I already have low GPA that I really don't want this violation hurt the application anymore.

astroprof

Post by astroprof » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:50 pm

Thank you so much. The grade of that course is D. If I checked the box of that instances, does that mean I definitely need to explain that in the PS? Besides, what if the violation in academic record expire after several years, at that time can I not check it? I already have low GPA that I really don't want this violation hurt the application anymore.
You should always use the personal statement to explain issues about your academic record. However, you need to be careful about the tone - make certain that you explain what you have learned from the experience, not just a summary of what happened. Also, I have never heard of an academic misconduct violation "expiring." This is something you have done and is part of your permanent academic record. While it is not shared from one institution to another, you are obligated to report it if the application form has a question regarding previous instances of academic misconduct.

JudyPig

Post by JudyPig » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:32 pm

Thank you so much for the reply. My concern is: is this violation gonna make top universities shut the door to me definitely? Since I'm very likely won't have extra advantages compared to peers.

Nishikata

Post by Nishikata » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:15 am

If you have no extra advantages to peers, the door is not open anyway.
However, if you choose to hide this violation, and they found out after you somehow get selected to get in, you'll be considered a burglar in this analogy. Not only is that a bad thing, do you want to live in fear of getting found out for the rest of your life?

Remember, PhDs can be retroactively rescinded for valid reasons.

This violation is actually one of your unique point. You can describe it and elaborate how you learnt valuable lessons through this experience.
You can make it a uniqueness that works or doesn't work for you.