How good is UC Davis for Cosmology?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

livelongandprosper

How good is UC Davis for Cosmology?

Post by livelongandprosper » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:31 am

What about UIUC and Hawaii and Ohio State? I think I know Ohio State and Hawaii are some of the best (my professor told me this), but what about UIUC and UC Davis?

asingal

Re: How good is UC Davis for Cosmology?

Post by asingal » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:59 pm

I have never looked at UCD, Ohio State and Hawaii, but I am pretty sure UIUC has a great cosmology program, which is one of the reasons I decided to apply there this year. You may benefit from using Harvard's ADS abstract service at https://ui.adsabs.harvard.edu/ to look up the recent research of your potential advisors, citations statistics, etc., and choose accordingly.

zantetsuken

Re: How good is UC Davis for Cosmology?

Post by zantetsuken » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:58 am

Some anecdotes from my advisor, who is a cosmologist. He said that there is a lot of good cosmology at UC Davis. He also said Ohio State is broadly strong well-run department with good cosmology. He said Hawaii has been strong in cosmology in the past, but he hasn't seen much action in a while (they lost their 'best' cosmologist, I think he said). We didn't talk about UIUC unfortunately.