Open House Dates

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

Bobandham

Open House Dates

Post by Bobandham » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:04 pm

Does anyone know if institutions plan their open houses around when the grant offers of admission. Basically, I don’t want to RSVP for an open house at a backup school and realize that I cannot go to an open house for a different school (to which I haven’t heard whether or not I have been granted admission) because they are on the same date.

Thanks

jabennett2194

Re: Open House Dates

Post by jabennett2194 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:14 pm

I worry about this as well. I asked the same question last year and there is really nothing I've thought of yet! Would appreciate other's thoughts. (Luckily not the case this year, got into one of my top choices so I'm very comfortable paying for the plane ticket because I know ... unless I get into Caltech or MIT and its on the same day, I'm totally going.)

jabennett2194

Post by jabennett2194 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:17 pm

I wonder if it would pay to go back through old Applicant profile 201* threads to see if there is any mentions of open houses for programs you're looking into, and then comparing.

Or even reach out to your top choices and don't even ask about your application status yet, just say "you're my top choice and I want to know if you have any inkling of when the open house for the program may be so i can know if i should book this flight to a school lower on my priorities."

jabennett2194

Post by jabennett2194 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:46 pm

I was thinking we could get the accepted students at schools we are interested in to give us some info now! :D

What I know:

Stony Brook = March 29th and 30th

Northeastern = March 21st

Virginia Tech = No set date (Admitted students in the U.S. are highly encouraged to arrange a campus visit. Instead of one designated weekend, we are flexible with dates. (Although, we do suggest a Thursday-Saturday visit, if possible.) Please contact Betty Wilkins (gradphys@vt.edu) at your earliest convenience to plan a visit that meets your schedule and that of your faculty of interest. The department will cover all lodging and meals, as well as transportation costs of up to $300 to and from Blacksburg. (If this amount is cost-prohibitive, please let us know.))

Perimeter Institute = They don't have one

Can everyone please comment about the open house dates they know? :) This way everyone can know about any potential scheduling conflicts that may arise if they're accepted to one of their top choices.

Personally, I would like to know the dates of the following:
Johns Hopkins
Caltech
Princeton
UCSB
U Michigan
Cornell
U Southern California
Rutgers
Boston U
UIUC
Brandeis