Is it true an interview is bad?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

PhysicsAccount

Is it true an interview is bad?

Post by PhysicsAccount » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:28 pm

sd
Last edited by PhysicsAccount on Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

rjones21

Re: Is it true an interview is bad?

Post by rjones21 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:32 pm

No. I have been told that about 80% of people that get interviewed get accepted. Often interviews are

1. To test an international student's English speaking proficiency.
2. Trim down the pool of qualified students by getting more information (that is difficult to determine from their essays and recs) about these students.

squark123

Post by squark123 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:59 pm

Do physics programs require interviews? I find that (from reading the profiles on this site) people applying to biophysics and astronomy programs are usually required to attend interviews. But people applying to physics P.h.D programs can be accepted without an interview. To what extent is this true>

rjones21

Post by rjones21 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:55 pm

It seems to me that ivy league schools with the most competitive departments all have them. Other than that it seems to be pretty random. I do not believe that all accepted applicants to these schools are interviewed but I'm sure it is on a case-by-case basis.