2020 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

purplepinetree

Re: 2020 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

Post by purplepinetree » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:24 pm

purplepinetree wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:20 pm
Undergrad Institution: Small liberal arts school
Major(s): Physics
Minor(s): Computer Science, Philosophy
GPA in Major: 4.95
Overall GPA: 4.96
Length of Degree: 4yrs
Position in Class: Top
Type of Student: International female

GRE Scores : (revised or old version?)
Q: 169
V: 158 :oops:
W: 4.5
P: 780 :oops:

TOEFL: (R: , L: , S: , W: ) N/A

Research Experience:
4 HEP-EX research and 1 Mechanical Engineering research.
- one at CERN (for a summer)
- one in a national lab (for a summer, one presentation)
- one at a university close to my college (for 3.5 years, one publication one of many et.al, but did my senior thesis and got some honors with it)
- one at another university for a year after my graduation
- one at another university for a semester, paid position (Mechanical Engineering)

Awards/Honors/Recognitions:
- an award based on GPA
- another based on research
- Sigma Pi Sigma
- Magna cum laude
- High Honor in Physics
- two huge scholarships for undergrad program
- two huge scholarships for graduate program

Pertinent Activities or Jobs:
- TA for every semester except for my first semester
- grader for 2 years
- mentor/tutor for physics for 3 years
- department liaison for a year
- research assistant for a year
- software engineering at Microsoft for a summer (kind of related??)
- SPS officer for a year
- Research Fellow at one of the top universities for a year
- Annual lecture series I had in Asia for the past three years for women (high school students) in science
- Contributed a couple of articles about my research and physics in general to a widely read newspaper

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:
- Two huge scholarships. One covers full tuition for 4 years + stipend of $3000/month + research grant, and the other also covers full tuition for 6 years + stipend of $2000/month :D
- launched a new scholarship program in collaboration with one of the scholarship groups and the admission office of my school, for future students hoping to go to my college from the country I am from. :D

Special Bonus Points:
- Very strong recommendation letters.
- The PI I have been working with was my recommendation letter writer, and she also helped me choosing programs/professors to apply to, and she knew most of the professors I mentioned in the SoP.
- Same for another recommendation writer. He went through the list of professors I am applying to, and he seemed to know most of them.
- Those two professors I mentioned above are the professors at my first choice school.
- The other recommendation writer is a prof at my undergrad institution, and he has seen me from struggling through classes as non english speaker to getting a research fellow position and starting off my career as a professional scientist.
- Some people told me my SoP was one of the best they have ever read :D

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:
I was raised to be a house wife and did not know any math or science until I came here for college. It's been rough 5 years, but I studied so much harder and put so much effort in bettering myself,and I am pretty sure it showed up in the LoR from a prof at my undergrad institution.
I also won some prizes with playing the flute but I guess it doesn't really matter..?
I already talked via Skype/phone or in person to the most of the professor mentioned in SoP.

Applying to Where: All High Energy Physics Experiment
Harvard - Feb. 5 : ACCEPTED via email :D
MIT - Feb. 12 : ACCEPTED via email :D
Yale - Interviewed/casually talked to PIs (November/December), Feb 19: ACCEPTED via email :D
Princeton - Feb 19: REJECTED since they don’t have any neutrino experimentalist, totally makes sense
Berkeley -Feb 24: REJECTED Aw, kinda makes me sad :cry:
Columbia - Feb. 11 : Interviewed (they already know Columbia is not my first choice)
U Michigan - application withdrawn
Stanford - application withdrawn

Having gotten acceptance from my top choices, a couple of thing:
- PGRE is not everything! There might be some threshold, but you don't have to get crazy high scores if you can cover that aspect with something else.
- Don't give up on getting into top graduate programs just because you are from liberal arts school. I myself was, but honestly the education I got there was extraordinary and I wouldn't have gotten such an amazing results without it, or specifically, professors there. Talk to you professors and learn as much as you can from them.
- If you feel like you didn't have enough research experience, it's a great choice to take a "gap" year and do research. That was exactly what I did, and I am so glad I did. I got experience, and I now know that I want to pursue my career in physics for sure.
- I don't know how much the full funding scholarship has helped me with the application, but it definitely will once I start my graduate study. I know applying graduate schools are stressful enough already, but if you could, I really recommend applying to scholarships/fellowships as well.

So thrilled to be back to school next year!! :D
Good luck to all of us here!!

OriginalUsername

Post by OriginalUsername » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:36 pm

Undergrad Institution: Private school in the US, not well-known for physics
GPA in Major: 4.00
Overall GPA: 3.99
Length of Degree: 5 years
Position in Class: Near top
Type of Student: Domestic white male

GRE Scores: Revised (2019)
Q: 166
V: 162
W: 4.5
P: 920

Research Experience:
4-ish years of research experience exclusively in HEP-ex (my field), three summers at two "top" institutions.
3 APS talks, 2 conference posters (1 undergrad conference, 1 APS conference)
4 papers (1 publication, 3 conference proceedings)

Goldwater Scholarship

Didn't mention anything specific in my applications.

Special Bonus Points:
Probably none.

Applying to Where:

MIT - HEP-ex (Feb. 12: ACCEPTED for Ph.D. via email)
Stanford - HEP-ex (Feb. 11: ACCEPTED for Ph.D. via email)
Berkeley - HEP-ex (Feb. 20: ACCEPTED for Ph.D. via email)
Caltech - HEP-ex (Jan. 31: ACCEPTED for Ph.D. via email)
Yale - HEP-ex (Feb. 19: ACCEPTED for Ph.D. via email)
Columbia - HEP-ex
UCSB - HEP-ex (Jan. 29: ACCEPTED for Ph.D. via email) - Declined
Michigan - HEP-ex (Jan. 29: ACCEPTED for Ph.D. via email) - Declined

kvinto

Post by kvinto » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:23 pm

Undergrad Institution: (college, small in the europian country, no reputation)
Major(s):physics
Minor(s):
GPA in Major:
Overall GPA:3.18
Position in Class: top
Type of Student: International, female

GRE Scores: revised
Q:167
V:134
W:3.0
P:890

TOEFL: (R:23, L:21, S: 18, W:21 )

Research Experience: 1 article

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: teacher at school, participation in the conference

Applying to Where:
Last edited by kvinto on Sun May 17, 2020 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pouya

Post by Pouya » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:27 pm

Undergrad Institution: University of Tabriz, Iran. Little to no reputation in anything I guess.
Major(s):Engineering Physics
Minor(s):-
GPA (last two years): 16.37/20 (3.42/4)
Overall GPA: 16.03/20 (3.33/4)
Length of Degree: 4 years
Position in Class: Near Top
Type of Student:International male

GRE Scores :revised
Q:161
V:154
W:3
P:730 (54%)

TOEFL: 107 (R:29 , L:28 , S:25 , W:25 )

Research Experience:
2 years of Lab experience in Plasma Physics during my undergrad. Designing and building two Plasma Tube Rectifier from scratch. One is now being used for plasma demonstrations for students enrolled in plasma lab and the other which is capable of changing electrode size/matter/distance and gas pressure is being used for research material. Was writing my first paper on different (Bullet and Rectification) modes in low pressure plasma when applying for grad school.

Top Physics undergrad student in top 10 universities of my state (Winner of Ali Polad Grand Scientific Prize 2019).
Scholarship for Exceptional Talents offer from my undergrad school for masters (declined).

Some minor Workshop certificates and student projects.

Overall strong CV for an undergrad.

Special Bonus Points:
I put a lot of time emailing Professors in my field of interest, which 3 of 100 gave solid Yes'es!

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:-

Applying to Where:

Reach:
Boston University - Physics, PhD - Space [Plasma] Physics (Feb. 24: Rejected via email)
Well probably the committee was not interested as much as POI.
Rice University - Physics PhD - Space [Plasma] Physics (Feb. 24: Rejected via email to check website)
University of Toronto - Physics, MSc - Biophysics (Laser/plasma-soft matter interaction) Mar 9: Rejected Via Email to check portal
Match:
University of Alberta - Physics, MSc - Space [Plasma] Physics (Mar 28: Rejected via email to check website)
University of Calgary - Physics, MSc - Space [Plasma] Physics (Mar 4: Accepted ~34K/year Email by POI. Official letter: Mar 5: 25k TA/RA + 5K RA (Side Project) + 1K International Student Scholarship + 2.7K Tuition Award) - WILL ATTEND
Safe: (Only will apply if rejected by all above)
York University (Canada)
Saskatchewan University (Canada)
Middle East University (Turkey)

Now lets see if I will be able to travel around for Visa considering this Coronavirus outbreak and borders being shut down.
Last edited by Pouya on Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

vrajan1996

Post by vrajan1996 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:48 am

At India, Bachelors in science is a 3-year degree. Therefore, in order to apply for grad school in the US, one can fulfill the minimum 4-year bachelors degree requirement only by doing a bachelors(3 years)+masters(2 years).

Undergrad Institution: Small unknown college in India(partially funded by the government)
Minor(s): Math, Electronics
Overall GPA: 3.82/4.0
Length of Degree: 3 years
Position in Class: Probably near top

Grad Institution: large well-known central University in India
Overall GPA: 3.4/4.0
Length of Degree: 2 years
Position in Class: Average

Type of Student: International male

GRE Scores :
Q: 157 (64%)
V: 153 (60%)
W: 4.0 (60%)
P: 680 (45%) :cry:

TOEFL: 98/120 (R: 23, L: 26, S: 24, W: 25)

Research Experience: At Bachelors level, 2 major research experiences. First one was a term paper focussing on the basic theoretical study of M.H.D(Magnetohydrodynamic) equations in the context of astrophysical plasmas. Second, a research project at the IPR (Institute for plasma research) dealing with modeling and studying the acoustic waves in a classic fluid model and plasma oscillations. At Masters level, did my Master's thesis on Topological Insulators (TI) concerning the theoretical and numerical study of topological insulators in 1-D and 2-D. After masters, continued working on TI and formulated an entirely new problem/question (though did not result in any new publication)

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: organized & volunteered for science knowledge propagation for the underprivileged ones.

Special Bonus Points: Had a well-rounded SOP and very well-known recommenders (2 from my grad institute +1 from a research lab).

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Many accolades for devising robots

Applying to Where: (CMT: condensed matter theory, AME: at. & molecular experimental)

Big shot:
Brown -Physics, Ph.D- CMT- Jan. 30: Rejected via email
Penn State -Physics, Ph.D- CMT - March. 3: Rejected via email

Reach:
Purdue -Physics, Ph.D- AME (related subfield involving TI)- Feb. 20: Accepted via email + T.A $2k/month
IU, Bloomington - Physics, Ph.D
University of Virginia -Physics, Ph.D- CMT- March. 3: Rejected via website
UCF - Physics, Ph.D

Safety:
University of Utah -Physics, Ph.D- CMT- Feb. 12: Interviewed, March 8: Accepted via email + T.A $19k for 9 months
George Mason - Physics, Ph.D

Some thoughts:

Aim realistically. By realistically, I mean, prepare a list of places that you want to apply based on your scores, teacher's(recommenders) suggestions and careful scrutiny of admits & rejects of previous year applicants (PGRE forum is the only source). while doing projects, try to attack/approach a deep problem/question: leads to a good SOP. Carve your recommendation letters by talking to the recommenders (sometimes be specific and in some cases being general/open to experimental/other fields also helps). Mailing professors beforehand might also help.

Finally, It is okay to aim some (not all) big shot places and experience rejections. Failures prepare you for Phd and life !! :D
Last edited by vrajan1996 on Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

sk

Post by sk » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:18 pm

Undergrad Institution: small liberal arts (not really known)
Minor(s): CS
GPA in Major: N/A
Overall GPA: 3.98
Length of Degree: 4 yrs
Position in Class: we don't do ranking
Type of Student: international female

Q: 167
V: 159
W: 4
P: 940

TOEFL: 114 (R: 30 , L: 30 , S: 27, W: 27)

Research Experience:
- 2.5 years at the home institution
- summer research abroad (NYU)
- APS March Meeting presentation (the meeting was canceled lol)

- TA intro physics for a semester
- Executive Board Member for women in STEM group

Special Bonus Points: 1 famous recommender

I do a lot of unrelated extracurricular things: sing, bake, volunteer :)

Applying to Where: (biophysics/soft matter/imaging)
Cornell - Applied Physics - Accepted WILL ATTEND! ^_^
Yale - Physics - Accepted
Northwestern - Applied Physics - Accepted
Duke - Physics - Waitlisted - Rejected
UMichigan - Applied Physics - Rejected
MIT - Physics - Rejected
Harvard - Physics - Rejected
Stanford - Applied Physics - Rejected
Princeton - Physics - Rejected
UC Berkeley - Physics - Rejected
UPenn - Physics - Rejected
Caltech - Physics - Rejected
Last edited by sk on Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

arjavsharma

Post by arjavsharma » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:45 am

Undergrad Institution: One of the top engineering colleges in India (not very good reputation in physics)
Major(s): Engineering Physics
Minor(s): N/A
GPA in Major: 84.3/100
Overall GPA: 84.3/100
Position in Class: near the top

GRE Scores :
Q:170
V:155 :(
W:4
P:980

TOEFL: (R:30 , L:30 , S:25 , W:27 )

Research Experience: 5 months of full-time and 9 months of half-time research at home institution in quantum optics (no papers published) + some other minor engineering projects.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Merit Cum Means scholarship to cover full tuition, cracked the exam taken by 1.3 million students to get accepted for B.tech by one of the top institutes which have 10k seats in total, Letter of appreciation from PMO for being in top 0.1% in senior year of high school.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Actively participated in the management committee for the yearly fests of my college and blood donation camps (don't know if relevant).

Special Bonus Points: Two referees seniors in their respective fields + all 3 related to my field of interest and increasing trend in the GPA in junior and senior year in college.

Applying to Where: For MS/PhD in quantum computing.

Reach:
UBC (Canada) - (March 14: Rejected via email) (well, expected at this point but still.. this one hurt)
Maryland - (Feb. 28: Rejected via website) (OUCH.. :cry: )
UC Santa Barbara - (March 04: Rejected via website) :(

Match:
UW Madison - (Jan 28: Accepted for PhD via email; 22.5k TA + Tuition fee waiver) WILL ATTEND!
Purdue - (Feb. 13: Accepted for PhD via email; 1059 bi-weekly TA)
Colorado, Boulder - (Feb 19: Rejected via website) (Oh No..!)
SUNY SB -
U Waterloo (Canada) - (Feb. 27: Accepted for fully funded MSc in biomedical optics)
TU Delft (Netherlands) - (Jan. 6: Accepted for MS)

Safe:
Texas A&M -
Michigan State -

tr112

Post by tr112 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:25 pm

Undergrad Institution: Ivy
Minor(s): N/A
GPA in Major: 3.96 / 4.0
Overall GPA: 3.85 / 4.0
Position in Class: top

GRE Scores :
Q: 167
V: 162
W: 5.5
P: 850

TOEFL: (R: , L: , S: , W: ): exempt

Research Experience:
2.5 years QI experiment, 1 year CME, both at home institutions. Worked at these places through 2 summers.
1 publication under review in QI at time of application.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Award from physics department, some summer research stipend awards.

Special Bonus Points: 2 very strong LOR from the professors I have been working with (third LOR weak).

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: march meeting presentation (eventually cancelled..)

Applying to Where: (All for QI)
UChicago - PME - Accepted via website Jan. 13th
MIT - EECS - Rejected via email Feb 20th
Caltech - APh - Accepted via website Feb. 5th
Princeton - EE - Accepted via email Feb. 10th
Harvard - APh - Rejected via website Feb. 24th
Yale - EE - Accepted via website Feb. 5th
U. Maryland - Phys - Rejected via website Mar. 1st

Normal dude6283

Post by Normal dude6283 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:17 am

Undergrad Institution: Small SUNY college, solid physics reputation by APS standards.
Major(s):Physics
Minor(s):N/A
GPA in Major:3.37
Overall GPA:3.20
Length of Degree: 4
Position in Class: around the top
Type of Student: Domestic male

Q:159 (70%)
V: 157 (76%)
W: 4.0(57%)
P: DID NOT TAKE

Research Experience: 1 Year for a High Energy Physics group studying precision manufacturing and metrology for an LHCb Collab

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Tutor for school.

Special Bonus Points: Awesome letters of recommendation

Applying to Where:

SUNY Polytechnic Institute - College for Nanoscale Science and Engineering - Nanoscale Engineering; Optics and photonics (Undecided, but ACCEPTED for Ph.D via website/email website/email $25k/12 month RA)
West Virginia University - Physics - Experimental Condensed Matter Physics (undecided but, ACCEPTED for Ph.D via website/email $25k/12 month TA)
Syracuse University - Physics - Experimental Condensed Matter Physics. No response.
University of Georgia - Physics - Experimental Condensed Matter Physics. No response.
Colorado School of Mines - Electrical Engineering - Computational Electromagnetics (ACCEPTED for MS via website/email)
SUNY at Buffalo- Electrical Engineering- Solid state electronics (ACCEPTED for MS)
SUNY Binghamton -Electrical Engineering- Power Systems (ACCEPTED for MS)

My point in writing this was to demonstrate that for most mid-range applicants, the Physics GRE is essentially useless. Most people with the incredible accomplishments below will end up in academia somewhere, creating great graduate students. For someone with an industrial focus, I hope this was useful.

JuanitoN

Post by JuanitoN » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:09 am

Undergrad Institution: Best University of Mexico
Major(s): Physics (also Master of Science)
Minor(s): NA
GPA in Major: 3.99
Overall GPA: 3.99
Position in Class: Top student
Type of Student: International, male, bi?

Q: 154, 157, 161
V: 150, 152, 155
W: 3.5, 3.5, 4
P: 850 (75 %), 860 (77 %)

TOEFL: (R: , L: , S: , W: )

Research Experience: I studied the non-interacting boson particles immersed in optical lattices, UltraCold Quantum Matter. One publication.
Experimental research summer on Simon Fraser University. Two poster sessions at APS March Meetings.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Top student in Undergrad, second place at Graduate (Masters)

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: TA for 3 years, also Assistant Professor at my University

Special Bonus Points: Any connections, grad classes in Statistical Mechanics, not famous recommenders. However, I got EducationUSA sponsorship.

Applying to Where:
UC Boulder Rejected on February 18
UIUC Rejected on March 8
GTech Rejected
UC Berkeley Rejected on February 20
URochester Accepted February 7, Financial Aid
UCLA Rejected on Mar 27
UT Austin Accepted on March 10

tasgall

Post by tasgall » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:39 pm

Undergrad Institution: Large Private University Ranked ~100
Minor(s): Math
GPA in Major: 3.86
Overall GPA: 3.87
Length of Degree: 5
Position in Class: Top of small class
Type of Student: Domestic Male

GRE Scores :
Q: 161 (76%)
V: 156 (73%)
W: 5.0 (92%)
P: 810 (68%)

Research Experience:
5 months in computational astro working on cosmic voids, 1 poster held at our university
6 months in experimental condensed matter working with superconductors
6 months computational cosmology simulating dark matter models
1 year in dark matter detection and continued this research for my senior thesis, 1 nth author publication

Some university scholarships
Dean's list
Award for graduating top of my class

Held a couple officer positions for an athletic club

Special Bonus Points:
2 grad classes with A's
In contact with at least 1 faculty member at each program (some are recommending my application, others just know my name)
Strong letters of recommendation from research advisors

Applying to Where: All Ph.D. programs in experimental particle physics focusing on dark matter/neutrino detection

Reach:
UC Berkeley - Rejected (Feb 20)
Princeton - Rejected (Feb 19)
Columbia - Will Attend (Mar 6)
Yale - Rejected (Feb 19)

Match:
University of Washington - Accepted (Feb 6)
UC Davis - Officially Waitlisted (Mar 9) -> Rejected (Apr 14)
Purdue - Accepted (Jan 30)

Safety:
UNC - Rejected (Apr 22)
Texas A&M - Rejected (Apr 17)
RPI - Accepted (Feb 7)

starlight

Post by starlight » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:52 pm

Undergrad Institution: public school in the US
GPA in Major: 3.91
Overall GPA: 3.935
Length of Degree: 4 years
Position in Class: Top
Type of Student: International female

GRE Scores:
Q: 166
V: 166
W: 5.0
P: 750

Research Experience:
~4 years of research experience in astrophysics at my home university
1 summer internship at a top-ranked university
1 first-author paper published in a reputable journal with a professor at my home university, another first-author paper in prep at the time of application with a professor at a top-ranked university

Many awards and honors at home university, but no fellowships or national awards (didn't qualify since I'm international)

Some volunteer work at home department, nothing significant

Attended AAS conference and gave a talk

Special Bonus Points:
I heard afterward that my letter from the professor at the top-ranked university was very strong.

Applying to Where: (all astronomy/astrophysics unless otherwise specified)

Note: Before you decide to mark me as spam or something (I tried to post these results before and got reported), this really happened. It's possible, even with a subpar Physics GRE score. I only sent my Physics GRE score to schools that absolutely required it. The purpose of this post is to show that miracles can happen...though, honestly, I'm not sure how exactly this happened to me.

Harvard -- Accepted on Feb 5
Princeton -- Accepted on Feb 6
Columbia -- Accepted on Feb 2
UChicago -- Accepted on Jan 27
Caltech -- Accepted on Jan 31
MIT - Physics -- Accepted on Feb 12
Cornell -- Accepted on Feb 10
Yale -- Accepted on Feb 5
Northwestern -- Accepted on Feb 4
Berkeley -- Accepted on Feb 3
UCSC -- Accepted on Feb 12
UCSD - Physics -- Accepted on Jan 9