Chance me/Help with self doubts

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

viggomortensen

Chance me/Help with self doubts

Post by viggomortensen » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:08 am

//
Last edited by viggomortensen on Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nishikata

Re: Chance me/Help with self doubts

Post by Nishikata » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:32 am

Have you consulted your past PIs on where you can go?
Your undergrad institution is an Ivy, so with all your experiences, I presume it has a good graduate program too?

If one of them say, "sure, you're welcome to do PhD with my group". That would settle your anxiety, no?

In addition to asking them for a letter, you can also consult them on where you can apply to. They should know the playing field and can objectively assess your chances. Hearing from the ones in the field would be 100x more reassuring than from us, I guess.

jabennett2194

Post by jabennett2194 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:49 am

Your profile looks amazing!:D I second Nishikata's suggestion, that is the only thing I can think of to help reduce anxiety (since you're already doing everything you "ought" to be doing & more).

I love your profile name btw hahaha I'm watching Lord of the Rings for the 13th time this week and Viggo is sooooooo attractive.

Nishikata, congrats on getting into a Japanese program. Any ideas on what you'll be working on/who with? HEP-th??

viggomortensen

Post by viggomortensen » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:30 pm

//
Last edited by viggomortensen on Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nishikata

Post by Nishikata » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:18 pm

Glad that I could help.

jabennett2194, thank you. I will be working with a Japanese computational physics professor on condensed matter systems.
Ain't sure exactly what systems I will be working at yet. Last month I thought I was gonna working on solid oxygen but yesterday I had to write a research plan on hydrogen cells instead. I guess I'll see dynamic changes after I start the program. :)