First Degree different than Physics/Astrophysics/Maths

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

tt13aat

First Degree different than Physics/Astrophysics/Maths

Post by tt13aat » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:56 am

Hi Guys,
This is my profile basically. My Bachelor's degree was from a UK university in Aerospace Engineering. Then I completed my MSc in Astrophysics in 2018. After that I am currently working as a RA at the university. So far I got two papers (1 first author) and submitting another 2 (1 first author) papers next week. And if things go all well and dandy by the time application season comes around those will be accepted and probably another one submitted. I have done the general GRE so far got 324.
Q-162 V-162 W-3.5. I havent sat the PGRE yet.

So here's my question
How negative of an impact my first degree will have on the application since it was in engineering?

Also how important is PGRE for astro departments?

I am a bit nervous since I really would like to make it in the 2020 fall cycle. My research mostly focuses on star formation. Although I do have a lot of interest in galaxy formation and planet formation.