UBC Application Status “In Progress”?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

meowsensi

UBC Application Status “In Progress”?

Post by meowsensi » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:57 pm

My UBC application status has been shown as “Submitted” and “In progress” ever since I submitted the application and all documents back in December. To the fellow UBC applicants out there: is this normal? I can’t tell if they’re reviewing my application, or if “in progress” means I’m missing materials and they’re waiting for them...
(I’m quite sure that I submitted everything, just a bit worried because the status hasn’t changed at all)

I’m so anxious every single day waiting for the admission decision and seeing some people already getting offers from UBC makes me even more scared lol.

jabennett2194

Re: UBC Application Status “In Progress”?

Post by jabennett2194 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:23 pm

Same boat!

WuLei24

Post by WuLei24 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:30 pm

According to the posts at this site and thegradcafe.com, I assume UBC only releases one wave of offers, which occurred around Jan 10 this year. As an applicant myself, I really hope there is a second wave, but... you know

meowsensi

Post by meowsensi » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:52 pm

WuLei24 wrote:According to the posts at this site and thegradcafe.com, I assume UBC only releases one wave of offers, which occurred around Jan 10 this year. As an applicant myself, I really hope there is a second wave, but... you know
Does it mean we are waitlisted?

Nishikata

Post by Nishikata » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:05 am

If there is only 1 wave, then rejection is a more likely outcome.

jabennett2194

Post by jabennett2194 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:19 am

Has anyone reached out to UBC to inquire?? I'm considering... Their deadline was 12/1, it seems likely they have their list ranked by now, no?

dankmemes

Post by dankmemes » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:27 pm

jabennett2194 wrote:Has anyone reached out to UBC to inquire?? I'm considering... Their deadline was 12/1, it seems likely they have their list ranked by now, no?
No harm in trying. Let us know how it goes.

absoluterest

Post by absoluterest » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:09 pm

I emailed the graduate program coordinator three days ago. The chair got back to me on Saturday afternoon saying I've been rejected. He also said that they've received over 400 applications and were only able to choose about 80 to admit.

Ah, well. There goes my top choice.

jabennett2194

Post by jabennett2194 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:55 pm

absoluterest wrote:I emailed the graduate program coordinator three days ago. The chair got back to me on Saturday afternoon saying I've been rejected. He also said that they've received over 400 applications and were only able to choose about 80 to admit.

Ah, well. There goes my top choice.
Holy moly :/ they way you word it makes it seem that the coordinator said those 80 have already been admitted? :/ is that the vibe you got?

Reinhart

Post by Reinhart » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:57 am

So I think those who haven't received any email yet are rejected. I wish I am wrong.

absoluterest

Post by absoluterest » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:40 pm

jabennett2194 wrote: Holy moly :/ they way you word it makes it seem that the coordinator said those 80 have already been admitted? :/ is that the vibe you got?
I used his exact words and I'm really sorry to say that it does seem so. But what's odd is that only so few have posted on Grad Cafe or over here, so maybe they're not done with all 80. It's possible that they have filled their HEP-th quota (my area of interest) but I don't know how it works for a Master's.

I don't want to raise your hopes or dishearten you because I know as little about this as anyone else. You could consider writing an email to them, since they responded to me. But be prepared for not-so-great news; I really wasn't.

All the best for this and all of your other applications too. I hope we all get something good, and soon.

anupamraj0701

Post by anupamraj0701 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:43 pm

It is really weird. I also asked them politely about when were they hoping to release the first round of results and they replied to me within hour that I was not admitted and 400 applied ..80 only got in. It's better to ask and know what is your result than to wait uselessly for them to send bulk rejection mails.

Reinhart

Post by Reinhart » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:36 pm

I got the same reply. I hope they don't have a policy of rejection on inquiry.

absoluterest

Post by absoluterest » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:18 am

To follow up on my previous reply, I got an official Application Update via email from the Graduate Admissions Committee yesterday, which confirmed my rejection.

SubhashiniTatipamula

Post by SubhashiniTatipamula » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:02 am

Same here.. My Application also shows status as "In Progress". I mailed to csgrad.coordinator@ubc.ca asking for the same but still have not got any response. BTW, I applied for September, 2020 intake for masters in Computer Science.