should I give it a shot?

  • This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

Post Reply
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:17 pm

should I give it a shot?

Post by Pchemist » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:10 am


I just got back my scores for GRE Physics, got in the low 600s region. I went to a top 20 schools for undergraduate. GPA is so-so. Don't have a any outstanding research experience Not sure if I should even try to apply to school between 10-25 ranking. They have average GRE on the high 700s.

Everyone please help, should I wait a year and apply, the December exam just passed. Too bad they dont' offer the exam on January or Feburary.

So confused right now.

Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:50 am

Post by yosofun » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:43 am

are u getting your score back through the phone or via snail mail?

Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:15 pm

Free advice

Post by phayne » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:31 pm

Everyone please help, should I wait a year and apply, the December exam just passed.
Talk to your advisor.

Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:37 pm

Same boat...

Post by astrogirl » Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:41 pm

I'm in a similar boat, though my GRE score a bit lower, and a fair bit of undergrad research.

I'm bummed and trying to figure out what to do. If you come up with an answer, let me know! :)

Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:21 pm

low subject scores

Post by flash » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:35 pm

I think I read somewhere that females score in the 500-low 600 range. Males score 100 points higher - not sure why that is.
I would not get discouraged. I have taken the test twice and both times have run out of time to answer enough questions to score over 700. I would look at the number of questions you answered and the number you answered correctly out of that number and if it is a good percentage I would put that down in your application statement.
I would still apply. The worst that is going to happen is that you won't get in anywhere, but, you may be surprized, you may get in to a good school.
I would only take the test twice, and, even then if the score goes down, it will not look in your favor.
Put it behind you and go become a physicist.

Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:17 pm

Post by Pchemist » Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:10 pm

I talked to a bunch of professors at my school. But they all seem pretty much unhelpful, partly not many physics major continue onto graduate school in my department. I was looking at gradschool shopper website. Almost all the top 35 school have average GRE scores above 750s for domestic student. My professor, simply did not feel like talking to me.

So I would just apply to a few school I reeally want to go this year, send out some resume for job. If I get in, that's great, if not, just re-apply.

Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:20 am

I would apply if I were in your position

Post by RozminK314 » Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:52 am

Hi there,

I'm in a similar situation. I scored lower on the test than you did (570), GPA is so-so, I have participated in 2 research projects at my school, an REU (but no papers out of either one), have 2 semesters of experience as an undergrad TA, and reg. GRE scores were Q: 760, V: 580, AW: 5.5. I have applied to Berkeley, Wisconsin, Indiana, and my home institution just in case. I think I'm going to be using the just in case: rejected from Indiana, waitlisted at Wisconsin, and have not heard status at Berkeley (will hear by the 15th they tell me). At first I thought I was a pretty competitive applicant, but basically I think I've been living in a cave or something :shock: . I didn't realize how fierce the competition is, and how awesome some (check that---many) other students are. After looking at the stats of everyone on this board, I'm actually pretty surprised that I was not in the first wave of rejections from Berkeley or Wisconsin...although I don't anticipate getting into either this semester. Even though we have similar situations, and mine hasn't turned out well, I'd still give it a shot: just apply to a LOT of schools, and make sure to include some safer options in there (but not so safe that you wouldn't want to attend)! If I don't get in this round, I'm going to do a master's/do grad studies at my bachelor's school and then try again. I have heard similar plan B's from others.

Best of Luck to You!

Post Reply