April 15th (Is it postponeable)

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

guguma

April 15th (Is it postponeable)

Post by guguma » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:43 pm

Is it possible to postpone the deadline April15th for accepting the offers. I still haven't heard from three places and they say that I am not rejected, I already declined some offers but I want to hold onto 2 of them while waiting these 3.

admissionprof

Re: April 15th (Is it postponeable)

Post by admissionprof » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:12 pm

guguma wrote:Is it possible to postpone the deadline April15th for accepting the offers. I still haven't heard from three places and they say that I am not rejected, I already declined some offers but I want to hold onto 2 of them while waiting these 3.
You can ask, but the answer will almost certainly be "no". Every place has waiting lists, and people who definitely would accept an offer if made. Why would someone give you another day or two, and then when you decline, they can't fill the spot?

guguma

Re: April 15th (Is it postponeable)

Post by guguma » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:26 pm

admissionprof wrote:
guguma wrote:Is it possible to postpone the deadline April15th for accepting the offers. I still haven't heard from three places and they say that I am not rejected, I already declined some offers but I want to hold onto 2 of them while waiting these 3.
You can ask, but the answer will almost certainly be "no". Every place has waiting lists, and people who definitely would accept an offer if made. Why would someone give you another day or two, and then when you decline, they can't fill the spot?
You are right, that would be the most reasonable to behave. On the other hand it is annoying to hear "Your app is still under review" and nothing more whenever I call the unies. I think they should at least give some detailed info about the status of your application, I though the application fee would cover this but I see that it does not.