Can anyone tell me if my profile is competitive or not?

Yiiiiii

Can anyone tell me if my profile is competitive or not?

Post by Yiiiiii » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:58 am

Hi everyone,

I know it is a bit too late to worry. :( :( But can anyone estimate my chance of getting into schools within different ranges of ranking?
Say for example "top 10: Very likely", "10-20: likely","20-50: may attempt", "50-100: no chance at all".

I am international (Asian), but my undergraduate study is at a Canadian university.
Apply to astro and HEP.

GPA: 4.0/4.0.
PGRE: 930/89% (Will retake on 29 Oct.)
GRE: V 143 (gg wp..), Q 170, AWA 3 (gg..) (Definitely going to retake..)

One year research experience in quantum chemistry (chemical physics). One paper accepted (2nd author), one manuscript in preparation (1st author). Very likely have a poster in an international conference soon.
A final year research project about galactic dynamics.

Three-year experience in doing TA. Have already taught five different undergraduate courses (math/CS/physics/astro).

That's it..

Somebody may say it is needless to worry this kind of things now, but I am just too anxious when I feel not having a clear/rational expectation on myself. So thank you so much, comrades! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

bfollinprm

Re: Can anyone tell me if my profile is competitive or not?

Post by bfollinprm » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:13 pm

top 10: may attempt
10-20: likely (at least somewhere)
20-50: very likely

In the 10-20 range you'll get in to somewhere if your recommendations don't throw a flag and you apply to enough of them. If your recommendations are really good, you'll get into a top 10. The truth is that there is huge competition at the top schools for international applicants, where almost the entire world population is competing for 30-40% of the spots.

Yiiiiii

Post by Yiiiiii » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:33 pm

bfollinprm wrote:top 10: may attempt
10-20: likely (at least somewhere)
20-50: very likely

In the 10-20 range you'll get in to somewhere if your recommendations don't throw a flag and you apply to enough of them. If your recommendations are really good, you'll get into a top 10. The truth is that there is huge competition at the top schools for international applicants, where almost the entire world population is competing for 30-40% of the spots.

Wow thank you for the very quick reply!
Your words make me feel much better, thanks a lot!
So it seems like I need to apply more 10-20 univeristies. :wink: :wink:

You also mentioned the competition between international students. Was it accounted already in your anticipation?

astro_ice

Post by astro_ice » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:39 pm

Did you by any chance go to utsc?