Out-of-date TOEFL

Izaac

Out-of-date TOEFL

Post by Izaac » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:35 am

Hello there,

I've taken my TOEFL two years and a couple of months ago, so that my results are officially out-of-date. Besides scoring a nice 113, I spent these two last years doing a master degree in Japan, but with courses and research done in English with international faculties. Didn't feel like spending $200+ on a new test, so when applying for PhD I just sent the online copy of my out-of-date TOEFL results.
Question: have you heard of people proceeding likewise? Is that a big problem, or is it something the committee will be willing to overlook?

bfollinprm

Re: Out-of-date TOEFL

Post by bfollinprm » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:57 am

I have no experience in this, but it sounds like a bad idea to assume this would be ok. At the very least, I'd be sure to contact someone in the department and ask, and really I'd just re-take the exam to be sure. The TOEFL requirement is often one mandated by the Dean of Graduate Studies, not the department; it's often bureaucratic paperwork to establish a minimum proficiency for teaching assignments. And the thing about bureaucracy is that it's often inflexible.

Izaac

Re: Out-of-date TOEFL

Post by Izaac » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:07 am

Thanks bfollinprm.
In the end I forked out the $260 for a second TOEFL last Saturday. A pukka piece of cake. F*cking expensive cake.