Page 1 of 1

Is the J-1 for 'exchange students' only?

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:53 am
by wisegops
I have seen conflicting views about this on many topics and would have checked it out on my own if i were not stricken for time.

I'm confused about the visa type? Being an ordinary international student, do i need to request an F-1 visa or a J-1 visa?
Heard somewhere that the J-1 is for exchange students? Another place, says that J-1 students are those who are supported by the university/institution alone and not (even in part) fund themselves for their study program.

Whats the real deal?