Not getting lor from research advisor?

hypodermic

Not getting lor from research advisor?

Post by hypodermic » Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:12 am

I'm working on a research project this semester and I've found that while I've seen my research advisor's grad students every day, I rarely see him. I don't feel like he's going to know me well enough to write a good letter of rec. What should I do?

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:16 am

I'd say it depends on who your other potential rec writers are. If you have had other research experience with profs that know you better, choose them first, and just try to get your name on a paper from this project, that way you'll have something to show for the project other than a recommendation.

If you don't have 3 better rec prospects, (they don't have to all be research supervisors, someone who has taught you in (more than one) class is useful), then perhaps try submitting progress reports to the prof to update him on what you have done from time to time?

I had a similar situation, did an REU but only saw the prof twice, once when I arrived, once when I left. He offered to write me a letter down the road; I subconsciously laughed. He didn't know me then and certainly wouldn't know me 18 months down the road when I needed a letter. Luckily I have 3 people back home who know me well.

dbl

Post by dbl » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:01 am

One possibility (and what I did) was that the person I worked with most wrote a letter, which the professor then edited and signed. Having a professor write a letter is always better than having a grad student write a letter. If the professor is famous at all, that's even a bigger bonus.