One Strong LOR...

Cosmos1

One Strong LOR...

Post by Cosmos1 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:02 am

So my physics department has 4 faculty members. I've had only one research project which I worked on this summer. I'm going to ask my research advisor for a LOR and I think it will be fairly strong. The problem is that he is also the professor I've had the most classes with. I'm not sure who else to ask for my other two LORs. I've only had one class with my academic advisor even though he is doing research in the field I will want to do research in graduate school. Another professor I've had a few classes with, but I don't think a LOR from him will be as strong as the one from my research advisor. I could also ask one of the math professors since one of them is very fond of me and has good things to say about me since I did well in his class and then eventually graded the same class the next year for him. Does anyone have any opinions on who I should ask? Another option is to ask one of my music professors since I am doing a physics/music double major, but I don't think that it would be very helpful.

Thanks!

bfollinprm

Re: One Strong LOR...

Post by bfollinprm » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:30 pm

Your research professor, your academic advisor, and the math professor. Definitely.

Cosmos1

Re: One Strong LOR...

Post by Cosmos1 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:23 pm

Thanks! I'm thinking my math professor would be a good idea because I also asked him to write me a recommendation for REU applications, so he is familiar with writing about me. I think the weakest LOR will be from my academic advisor. He is on leave this coming fall so I won't be able to talk to him in person, which might make it more difficult to get a strong LOR from him.